Greetings to Maurice

  • starbirdgarden
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
      Dear Maurice,
      I hope that you are still getting emails. It was so interesting to have a description
      of life on the FPSO ( of which I had never heard) It sounds a bit like a wrecked ship.
      Except for the noise and the technology. Like the mechanised, amplified sounding of
      the sea in a shell.
      Wearing earplugs and rarely getting outside must send you deeply into yourself.
      Good if you get time to think.
      Do you see any actual oil, I wonder, or is it all enclosed in machinery?
      With your work of bringing cheer and lightening men?s spirits, I see you as the
      human light of a descended lighthouse, beaming out spiritual scientific thoughts to
      those who can see them and make their way to you in friendship.
      Oil is such a wonderful substance, whether mineral oil or the golden oil of seeds
      and fruit, or the finely etherising oil of herbs like Lavender and Thyme. I?m sure you
      are familiar with Hauschkas wonderful book, The Nature of Substance. For anyone
      who has not read it, using a diagram of a plant he speaks of how

      ?starchy matter is etherealised in the exhaling of the cosmic breath and changes into
      sugars, blossom colours, scents, honey, etheric oils and therapeutic substances of
      plant origin. Downwards from the middle zone of starch there is a gradual densifying
      and mineralising, via cellulose, until a biological zero is reached in carbon, or coal tar.
      Here human ingenuity takes hold and conjures forth a synthetic mirror image of
      the natural world: synthetic colours, scents, saccharine and other sweeteners, mineral
      oils and therapeutic substances.
      Contrasting the two realms we get the impression that the upper one is the realm
      of dynamic biological reality, the scene of a ceaseless harmonisation of the living
      polarities of earth and heaven, giving rise to an endless range of metamorphoses.
      The underworld of coal tar chemistry, on the other hand, seems ? figuratively
      speaking ? like a ghostly reflection of the dynamic creativity of the cosmos. Here
      however, the static world of atoms and calculable happenings takes the place of
      dynamics.? End of quote

      I love these images. It seems to me that we always and everywhere meet the
      same need - to bring life in thought, understanding and warmth of relationship
      between humans into ghostly realms, as you said that you consciously do in your
      capacity as CRO. Especially with that lovely touch of humour which Ahriman must
      hate because he can never see a joke. Especially one at his expense. Because nowhere
      is our environment without sub etheric forces, and oil related plastics etc. The earth
      is turning inside out..
      Go well.

      Jan
      PS For some reason apostrophes seem to turn to question marks when posted ? I
      don?t know why.
    • Maurice McCarthy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
        Dear Jan,

        Thanks and yes I am getting most mail, though about 3 or 4 have been cut
        out. We had a special meal today for a triple celebration. 100 offloads (50
        million barrels of oil since mid - 1998, 2 years since we started producing
        the second field - we produce 2 fields at once, and 1 year since I
        spectacularly ruptured the fire main in the Engine Room in 3 places -
        thereby deluging the alternator on the standby generator with ~3000 gallons
        per minute and it has not worked since. Oops! Well, ... if they won't make
        things fit for purpose what do they expect?) I half expected to be sacked
        but owned up immediately and they kept me because of the honesty. It saves a
        lot of hassle when they do not have to have huge investigations to find out
        what went wrong. Anyhow we had swordfish steaks and non-alcoholic wine and
        Jamaica ginger cake and it was very nice.

        The oil is seen regularly for laboratory sampling. (Oil refineries aren't
        keen on getting more than 1% water, but it falls out in the tanker anyhow.)
        Worse we have a huge production problem with calcium naphthanate solids
        created by a reaction between reservoir water and the oil itself. It amazed
        me that the reservoir still flows, unless it precipitates as it cools in the
        9 km line between the well manifold and the vessel.

        Never actually read Hauschka's book but doubtless I shall when my thoughts
        turn in that direction again.

        Jan PS For some reason apostrophes seem to turn to question marks when
        posted ? I don?t know why.

        It may be to do with the fact that I use text only as default (because I use
        Debian 3.0 "Woody" at home, a linux system). Microsoft 'smart quotes' are
        inserted into standard fonts, such as Times New Roman, where there is an
        unused character space not recognised in international agreement. Thus a
        'smart quote' will come out as unknown or ? when written into a plain text
        email. On replying to an email Outlook automatically selects text or html
        according to the original. Text is also harder to put a virus into.

        You may remember the song 'Lily the Pink' by the Scaffold. She was a real
        person and the most wonderful herbalist I ever met. She passed away some 6
        or 7 years ago. She had waist length shocking pink hair in 1962, from what
        she told me, and I've seen colour photos from later. I do not have her
        knowledge but the very first thing she gave to all her patients was comfrey
        and mallow (the common mallow or the marsh mallow - a hollyhock will do but
        it is not as good) with half a lemon in each glass. Make a ptisane in the
        largest pot you have - put in a whole carrier bag full of fresh herbs (dried
        is a waste of time) Cut the herbs up and pour on boiling natural mineral
        water (or heat it just to boiling in the pan). It can be drunk after 10
        minutes but bottle it the next morning and it will keep in the fridge for a
        week. The comfrey and especially the etheric forces in the living plant feed
        the pituitary and rebalance the metabolism - now the body has a chance to
        fight back. The comfrey increases the power of the body to replace damaged
        tissue and the mallow soothes and calms all inflammation. Your Mother will
        most likely still pass on but it may make it so much easier on both of you.

        Lily's real name was Heather Sears. An acquaintance's father was told by the
        doctor that his liver was gone and he had 6 weeks to live. He went to
        "Auntie" Heather. She said he's right. You are a dead man. There is no liver
        left to rebuild itself. But I can put you out of pain and you can enjoy your
        grandchildren for about 6 months. And if you ever want to end it all drink a
        bottle of whiskey. He died peacefully 10 months later. She used to see her
        patients daily and adjust what she was giving them the next day. She lived
        on the preparations she made for them! It is food not medicine. You drink as
        much as you can stand, to begin with, and after that 5 pints a day. No tea,
        no coffee, no alcohol. Totally organic diet, "You cannot put in a teaspoon
        of goodness and 2 pounds of filth then expect to get better! They work
        against each other."

        Very Best Wishes
        Maurice