Re: [anthroposophy] Developoing a world view from sensation

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2003
      On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 10:33, Maurice McCarthy wrote:
      > This is a post I've just sent elsewhere. You will see that I am trying to
      > rethink RS, trying to enliven his thoughts by adding present day perceptions
      > to them. I feel this is necessary because he died a whole human lifetime
      > ago. If it remains undone his ideas will slowly whither away.
      >
      > If anyone has any comments I should be most grateful.
      >
      > Maurice
      > -----------------
      > Visual experience means simply *seeing something* and there is no immediate
      > warrant to posit a seer or perceiver in addition to this. ... I'll try to
      > explain where I'm coming from to clarify myself somewhat.

      <snip>

      Dear Maurice,

      I am not entirely sure I agree with your assumption above "to rethink
      RS .... ". I do believe you do him great justice though, by thinking
      yourself about "experience". That, I believe, is what he wanted.

      Not necessary then to preserve "his" ideas, or even to "rethink RS" -
      only necessary to ourselves "think" experience.

      That act then becomes the dance of knowing about knowing, wherein
      almost any place is a decent place to start, and in our time, where we
      are dominated by the physical sense of "seeing", visual perception is as
      good as any place try to take hold of that which won't itself hold
      still.

      Lately, myself, I find experience to be quite curious, when I let
      myself sense my own thinking as having no boundaries. Say, for example,
      I am with a group and we are discussing almost anything, and my thinking
      is there with me, as I listen and observe (with sight and ear at least),
      and in this moment I let go any idea that my thinking is isolated in
      itself in any way, but rather it is just those waves of a larger ocean
      that happen to be washing up on the shore of my own "I".

      So I create a new picture (the old one being driven by culture and
      language), wherein "thought" as experience is was and will always be
      larger in scope that within my head, a mere isolated activity. Rather
      there we are, all of us in the group (and all other beings as as well)
      in the same ocean.

      With such an "Idea", now the room becomes something other than it was,
      just a group gathered for conversation (where first I tried this was a
      group that gathered regularly for discussing science fiction books), and
      there appears a unity, as if the ocean itself was speaking from and
      through all, and we were just reporters of those bits of seaweed and
      driftwood that fell into our inner view.

      Seems to me an Internet discussion list also shares this quality, such
      that I can forgo the Idea of separation and individuality of thought
      itself, and find instead that we are were and always will be united,
      with difference only our culturally driven interpretation.

      The Rastas may well have it right when they find the idea of "you and
      I" a creation of the devil, when the truth is that there is only "I 'n
      i"

      Or so it seems today...

      warm regards,
      joel
    • Maurice McCarthy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2003
        Many thanks for your interest Joel. You wrote:

        ... only necessary to ourselves "think" experience. (Well said - Maurice)

        That act then becomes the dance of knowing about knowing, wherein
        almost any place is a decent place to start, and in our time, where we
        are dominated by the physical sense of "seeing", visual perception is as
        good as any place try to take hold of that which won't itself hold still.

        M: Yes, the idea was to take a point of departure commonly accepted by
        non-anthroposophists

        J: Lately, myself, I find experience to be quite curious, when I let
        myself sense my own thinking as having no boundaries. ... my thinking
        is there with me, as I listen and observe (with sight and ear at least),
        and in this moment I let go any idea that my thinking is isolated in
        itself in any way, but rather it is just those waves of a larger ocean
        that happen to be washing up on the shore of my own "I"... etc

        M: What a beautiful idea. Last monday I attended the Proceedings of the
        Aristotelian Society in London for the first time in my life. I've been
        studying the recent debates on consciousness (they sometimes use 'cs' as a
        shorthand) and it was the first occasion that I had been able to meet people
        with a similar interest, though my contact was exceedingly brief as I had to
        dash off to catch a flight to Aberdeen. The most striking thing was how
        everyone their, including many professors, was highly inarticulate with the
        spoken word when matters of precision and import were being discussed -
        including myself! I was wondering what I could have done to help the whole
        room.

        The following amused me this week when an attachment I had sent to work was
        quarantined in Hoofddorp: