FW: Faith, Hope & Prophecy

  • John Massengale
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2000
      FW: Faith, Hope & Prophecy I am usually very wary, to put it mildly, about charismatics, but I heard an interesting man on New York City's PBS station yesterday whom I only later found out is a charismatic preacher. On the program, he sounded terrific, saying wonderful things about community and how hope works.

      He's written a perhaps interesting book called Faith Works: Lessons from the Life of an Activist Preacher. Does anyone have any opinions on Wallis or this book? You can seem more info at http://www.wnyc.org/musicculture/shorts/readingindex.html. There's a link there to the second chapter of the book, which has a much more religious atmosphere than his talk on the radio. There should soon also be a link to a Real Audio version of his interview.

      From the site:

      "Faith Works: Lessons from the Life of an Activist Preacher" by Jim Wallis

      Read the first chapter of this book

      Publisher's Summary:

      Today more than ever, many people are hungry for spirituality and community. But the most powerful and meaningful spirituality shows itself through action. Jim Wallis is the charismatic preacher, activist, and leader of Call to Renewal, a dynamic new movement that is uniting politics and spirituality to ignite social change and overcome poverty. In his timely, exciting new book, he shows us how we can enrich our own lives by serving our communities. Wallis believes that the making of the modern Christian, Muslim, or Jew is through action. A preacher who spends his time working for justice rather than just speaking from a pulpit, Wallis compellingly demonstrates how going out and putting your belief to work is what really counts. Faith shows itself in works--faith works.

      Jim Wallis joins Brian Lehrer on On The Line on Monday, April 24.