Michael and the Consciousness Soul

  • Bradford Riley
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6 8:02 AM

      "Tom Paine used the word "patriot" to describe the rebels resisting imperial
      rule. He also enlarged the idea of patriotism when he said: "My country is
      the world. My countrymen are mankind."

      Bradford comments;

      This is a ringing statement of those who arrive on the shores of the
      Consciousness Soul. When arriving at the Consciousness Soul, you realize
      that the above statement was your navigational tool that struggled maintain
      a panoramic vista and chose not to taken the narrow path. It has allowed you
      to see the levels and qualities of Soul development in yourself and others
      and given you a vista into all that humanity is slated to become. The New
      Maps of the Consciousness Soul reveal a wide and future high country that
      includes the organic and spiritual unfolding of even higher capacities, such
      as the Spirit Self.

      Prior to arriving at this vista one has battled through thought systems,
      cynacism, political divisions, Jungian and Freudian interpretations. You
      have looked into the heart of your self and seen the darkest shadows and you
      have looked into the heart of the world and seen the greatest light and you
      have realized the potential of yourself and humanity. You realize that there
      is a higher education of the human soul and it is worth fighting for. Even
      if fighting means compassion and peace. Even if fighting means understanding
      the deadly flip side of the coin of Old Mars to New Mars.

      There is no Utopia, there is the eternal Pauline issue of Principalities and
      Powers that live in the Motives and unconscious forces of the soul.
      Understanding how to enter into the darkness of the human soul and grasp
      your own denials and prejudices and facing profound and shattering issues,
      [if you can do so without madness] is a slow process. It should start with a
      good education and well adapted parents. But we as a nation, find
      fragmented, scattered and biased observations of a culture, of science of
      the world that infect every inch of the path towards the Consciousness Soul.
      At some point you find you need an Overview of the distance and potential of
      the human spirit and the missing pieces of Intelligence that mankind has
      refused to embrace.

      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/ppenn/michael.html

      BIBLIOGRAPHY: GENERAL ARTICLES

      "Michael the Archangel, St.," in Oxford DCC (2nd ed, 19 ) 913.
      [general, special attention to impact on western churches]

      "Michael, archangel," in Oxford Dict of Saints (1987) 300f.
      [general, special attention to British Isles]

      R. H. Charles, "Michael ...," in HDB 3(1900) 362f.

      T. L. Fallon, "Michael, Archangel," in New Cath. Ency. (1967) 793-95.
      [general: bible, cult, art (with 4 pictures)]

      J. Michl, et al., "Michael," in LTK2 7(19 ) 393-95.
      [detailed sections on literary references, iconography, popular impact,
      religious community connections]

      E. Lohse and E. Dinkler-v.Schubert, "Michael, Erzengel," in RGG3 ??(19??)
      932f
      [backgrounds in Judaism (incl. Qumran, rabbinic); impact on liturgy, cult
      and art]

      A. Penna, et al., "Michael ...," in EncCatt 8(1952) 948-54. [G.Loew, E.
      Josi, ... not yet examined]

      R. S., "Michael the Archangel, and All Angels, Festival of," in Dict of
      Christian Antiquities (1880) 1176.
      [developments and oppositions in Christianity]

      H. Leclercq, "Michel (Culte de Saint)," in DACL 11 (1933) 903-907
      [focus on impact in the west].

      F. Spadafora & M. G. Mara, "...," in Bibliotheca Sanctorum 9 (Rome, 1967)
      410-46.

      SPECIAL STUDIES

      C. Stengeli, De Michaelis archangeli principatu, apparationibus, templis,
      cultu et miraculis (Aug. Vind., 1629).

      J. B. Mai, De Festo Michaelis (Kilon., 1698).

      F. D. Haeberlin, Selecta quaedam de S. Michaelis archangeli festis et cultu
      ... (Helmstad, 1758).

      W. Lueken, Michael: Eine Darstellung und Vergleichung der juedischen und der
      morgenlaendisch-christlichen Tradition vom Erzengel Michael (Goettingen: V &
      R, 1898).

      Olga Rojdestvensky, Le Culte de Saint Michel et le moyen a^ge latin (Paris,
      1922).

      A. M. Renner, Der Erzangel Michael in der Geistes- und Kunstgeschichte
      (Saarbruecken, 1927).

      A. A. Bialas, The Patronage of Saint Michael the Archangel (Chicago, 1954).

      J. Lemarie/, "Textes liturgiques concernant le culte de S. Michel," Sacris
      Erudiri 14(1963) 277-85.

      J. Danie/lou, Les anges et leur mission (1952).

      James McKinnon, Music in early Christian literature. (Cambridge: Univ.
      Press, 1987); esp 1Clem 34.5ff, Orig Cels 8.67

      C. D. G. Mueller, Die Engellehre der kopt. Kirche (Vienna, 1959) [esp. 8-35]

      Caspar D. G. Mueller, Books of Michael and Gabriel (1962). [CSCO Coptic
      225-226: 231.4C/C815.3/31-32]

      C. Detlef G. Mueller, Buecher der Einsetzung der Erzangel Michael und
      Gabriel (Louvain, 1962).

      J. P. Rohland, Der Erzengel Michael Arzt und Feldherr (Leiden, 1977).

      Bradford comments;

      We encounter vast pockets of religions and locked down beliefs. Yet we also
      encounter locked down beliefs in science, in the Military mind set, in
      Politics and in talk show hosts as well as corporate controllled media. To
      be conscious that I am biased towards the Consciousness Soul and another is
      conscious of their bias toward another religious view, makes all the
      difference when the word that passes between individuals is, that they are
      conscious that they differ. In that consciousness Humanity can thrive.

      If Intelligence, spy information as a form of infected Ahrimanic
      Intelligence or Cosmic Intelligence that was held by Michael, is garnered
      and proliferated; and insights into ancient Marduck on the altars of Babylon
      and how Michael has grown and shared in Time to defend human Intelligence
      and Cosmic Intelligence with the vast understanding and defense of the
      mighty Logos, the Christ; or how the mighty cultural epochs where the
      research of the Michael spirit flourished; or the moment when Buddha freed
      his Angel and allowed Michael to be the ranking Archai and ZeitGeist of our
      age and now fronts the equal force of the Ahrimanic Archai forces; we learn
      a great deal about what human thinking is and what remains unconsious in the
      majority of humanity and that which is the most prized vistas of the wide
      horizons of potential that have become Treasures of the Consciousness Soul.

      Shall we not defend those treasures, even as Babylon and the treasures of
      our ancient traces of incarnation and Marduk himself was left undefended and
      the treasures stolen? Shall future treasures of human freedom be stolen from
      under our gaze and from our childrens hearts and souls?

      Once we discover the treasures of the Consciousness Soul we see how so many
      souls share, unwittingly and unknowingly in the same treasure that they
      brought to Earth with them as we brought to earth with us. We see that which
      was given us from the Spiritual World to lift in our soul life, the fallen
      forces of Intelligence back to the gods, and to defend the rights of human
      beings against Ahrimanic deceptions. These we realize are really intimate
      and quiet struggles in both suburban warfare, education and soul growth, so
      that further massive damages shall not continue through the unconscious use
      of either Political Power by lamed Men or the abuse of education and false
      perspectives that seed the soul with deceptions. These become our battles as
      we stand in the next wave of the Michael cultural Period.

      These are our battles no matter where we stand. This is our time and our
      voices and hearts have had ample opportunity to see the potential that all
      humanity hold for each other. To all those who stand within the
      Consciousness Soul, we hear their voices and we claim them as our family.
      "My country is the world. My countrymen are mankind."

    • elaineupton2001
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7 3:13 PM
        Thanks, dear Bradford,

        I find this an excellent post and an important call to live now, in
        the midst of world events, in the Consciousness Soul realm. There is
        so much evidence of paralysis in the Group and Intellectual Soul
        realms (not that these realms don´t have value--they do, of course,
        but being paralyzed in them, without access to the Consciousness
        Soul, is a tragedy, in my experience).

        You write:

        > "Tom Paine used the word "patriot" to describe the rebels resisting
        imperial
        > rule. He also enlarged the idea of patriotism when he said: "My
        country is
        > the world. My countrymen are mankind."

        Indeed! Even some of my (blood) family members, those on the far
        Christian conservative end, say that the Iraqi people are not
        Christian, therefore not saved, therefore not their brothers and
        sisters. How fragmented can you get?!!

        You continue:

        > This is a ringing statement of those who arrive on the shores of
        the
        > Consciousness Soul. When arriving at the Consciousness Soul, you
        realize
        > that the above statement was your navigational tool that struggled
        maintain
        > a panoramic vista and chose not to taken the narrow path.

        The "narrow path" may be taken because of a sense of fear of one´s
        shadow being, which can result in a sense of failure, and an attempt
        (a desperate, driven, obssessive attempt) to avoid this sense leads
        to projecting evil onto and scapegoating others (as in inventing¨"the
        axis of evil" or the¨"ones who are not saved and are not my
        countrymen or brothers and sisters", the dirty Jews, the niggers, the
        savage Indians, etc.).

        By the way, Robert Sardello (an anthropop psychologist and writer)
        has some wonderful insights on feeling as contrasted with mere
        sensation, and on how our cognitive life gets disturbed (feeling is
        bound up with cognition, true feeling, a feeling of the world as
        numinous, not just personal sensations of hunger, lust, etc.), and
        when this is all disturbed, we are fearful and act in fear, attacking
        others or withdrawing ...

        Thanks again!

        Blessings,
        elaine
      • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7 9:18 PM
          Could you briefly explain what living "in the consciousness soul" means?  I have a pretty good idea but need some clarity.  I am starting my first year of biography this fall.  It is the goal for all of us to be living in the consciousness soul.  Is part of it the new heart thinking?  Thank you Chantel
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8 11:22 AM
            --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Cheeseandsalsa@a... wrote:
            > Could you briefly explain what living "in the consciousness soul"
            means? I
            > have a pretty good idea but need some clarity. I am starting my
            first year
            > of biography this fall. It is the goal for all of us to be living
            in the
            > consciousness soul. Is part of it the new heart thinking? Thank
            you Chantel

            Bradford with others;

            A living example of the Consciousness Soul are the couple of posts
            dealing with Various Rings and Wayfaring. While unmet, on earth,
            there is a ring of higher humanity in the tone of exchange. But to
            follow the psychological history. Jung, Joseph Campbell and hundreds
            of thousands of others began to see the model of the human spirit and
            its myths world wide and its science world wide and its Art world
            wide as very interconnected.

            The English Spirit and Owen Barfield and a whole book on the
            Consciousness Soul and the English Spirit is around and in my library
            to delve into a little later. But for now, One of the aspects of
            biography was mentioned by Elaine as the cup or the pot hole or
            something of that image. It means that one can chart the passage of a
            destiny, through the years and see how the phases of the planetary
            developments, outlined out of Spiritual Science cross reference with
            experiences as you progress along a Time Line. The bottom of the cup
            is around the 35 year point.

            Consciousness Soul has a certain age designation but I think many of
            us would agree that Consciousness Soul thinking, exchanges have very
            little to do with your age... Yet one can measure that someone is in
            their fifties and unable to speak with dignity about all of humanity,
            therefore there is a struggle that is still laced with behavior that
            has not mastered or is held back at Sentient and Emotional retarded
            thoughts about humanity and religion or is caught in the Intellectual
            Soul or the Political Animal, the common corporate thought strata,
            business, mortgages, percentages, and whole conversations at any
            dinner table never penetrates very deeply but shares, what it
            believes to be common insights because they have heard the news and
            share news and gossip together. Hardly Consciousness Soul level.

            The English Language and the global thinking forces that live in the
            English Language have become, by default, the language of the
            Consciounsess Soul. Intuition can live strongly in the English
            language and from this language vehicle the connection of Intellect
            and Imagination can work strongly into culture.

            The Consciousness Soul is a vast world of feeling, thinking and
            willing activities that hold the whole pattern of mythos, religion
            and global unity in a generous open brotherhood. John Lennon Imagine
            song and many other examples are Consciousness Soul inspirations.

            Others can take it up, I am running late for an appointment. sorry it
            was so sketchy.
          • 888
            Message 5 of 8 , May 10 3:49 AM
              Dear Chantel,
              > Could you briefly explain what living "in the consciousness soul"
              means? I
              > have a pretty good idea but need some clarity.

              Read further in chapter one of "Theosophy" part four. You still might
              be in the dark, but at least it's a start.

              http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Books/GA009/English/GA009_c01_4.html

              There is another aspect to the Consciousness (or Spiritual) soul, and
              that is the importance of individuals making free decisions,
              being "true to oneself". This is a theme in Steiner's "Philosophy of
              Spiritual Activity", but really a theme for the whole of
              anthroposophy.

              Dr. Steiner defined anthroposophy itself as a living out of the
              Consciousness Soul. (See definition in Awakening to Community.)
              Steiner was careful when giving advice to present facts and let
              people decide for themselves.

              We are capable of making our own good decisions out of the
              Consciousness Soul, because through it we attain to the Eternal
              Spirit, the True and the Good - see "Theosophy". That gives us the
              power to make our own "moral imaginations".

              This ability is a fairly new one bestowed upon Man, and still, as
              they say on a lot of websites, "under construction".

              The other aspect which Bradford often talks of, is the direct
              spiritual intuitions a student may have, which are not just a result
              of intellectualising or study. Here one must talk of Manas or Spirit
              Self as well as Consciousness Soul:(Quotes from "Theosophy")
              "The "I" lives in the soul. Although the highest manifestation of
              the "I" belongs to the consciousness soul, one must, nevertheless,
              say that this "I" raying out from it fills the whole soul, and
              through it exerts its action upon the body."

              The "I" is the highest expression of Consciousness Soul- it could be
              called an "over-ego".(BTW my old copy of "Theosophy" refers to the
              Intellectual Soul as "Kama Manas".)

              Continuing:
              "The spirit forming and living as "I" will be called spirit self
              because it manifests as the "I," or ego, or self of man. The
              difference between the spirit self and the consciousness soul can be
              made clear in the following way. The consciousness soul is in touch
              with the self-existent truth that is independent of all antipathy and
              sympathy. The spirit self bears within it the same truth, but taken
              up into and enclosed by the "I," individualized by it, and absorbed
              into the independent being of the individual. It is through the
              eternal truth becoming thus individualized and bound up into one
              being with the "I" that the "I" itself attains to the eternal."

              "The spirit self is a revelation of the spiritual world within
              the "I," just as from the other side sensations are a revelation of
              the physical world within the "I." In what is red, green, light,
              dark, hard, soft, warm, cold one recognizes the revelations of the
              corporeal world. In what is true and good are to be found the
              revelations of the spiritual world. In the same sense in which the
              revelation of the corporeal world is called sensation, let the
              revelation of the spiritual be called intuition."

              Bradford also spoke of the intellect and imagination. In order to
              understand anything of an esoteric character it is essential to be
              adept at both. Reasoning alone, will not bring to life the spiritual
              realities in the soul. Not everyone is so gifted as to be able to
              imagine and reason well at the same time, but numbers will grow in
              time.

              I have begun to post some discourses on spiritualscience@yahoogroups
              which are quite helpful to an understanding of how one might "be true
              to oneself" and all this entails. I suppose you could call it "heart
              thinking."

              Warm Regards,
              Bruce
            • elaineupton2001
              Message 6 of 8 , May 10 4:55 PM
                Hello--is it Chantel, who first posted the question of what is the
                Consciousness Soul? Hello to all of this thread. Thanks to Bradford
                and Bruce for replies that I find helpful.

                I'll just add a bit. Bradford mentioned Owen Barfield and England in
                connection with the Consciousness Soul. Any Brits here? Anyway, the
                very island nature of England (and so of the English language) is an
                conduit for the Consciousness Soul, we are told. I understand this to
                mean that as we evolve, we experience a kind of bowl/cup shape, or
                geometric parabola, and there is the bottom or low point, where one
                can feel complete separation, isolation from the Spirit world. This
                is also the moment when the Christ incarnates in evolution, by the
                way (at the low, decadent point in the Roman Empire). In the
                individual biography, this low point, this point of the abyss and
                separation is also the turning point, where one has the opportunity
                to look up, to turn again to the Spirit world. But this time, unlike
                in the past, the decision to re-connect must be a conscious,
                deliberate, free decision, not based on history or tribe or
                conventional religion or family or blood lines or any such prop. One
                stands naked and alone and must choose. Perhaps this is not a once
                and for all event, and perhaps we must renew the decision over and
                over to stand in full Egohood.

                Of course, Egohood has its reverse/ perverse side, and there is a
                danger of being lost in one's smaller ego. But the fuller Egohood is
                to take on the life and death of Christ, and the crisis point is the
                moment of taking up, as He said, one's Cross (one's destiny to serve
                humanity and the cosmos), and this FREE decision redeems egotism and
                transforms this egotism into higher, Egohood. I do not claim
                expertise in achieving this, but do speak, with gratitude, from some
                small experience.

                I hope this is helpful.

                Blessings,
                Message 7 of 8 , May 22 4:41 AM
                  <holderlin66@h...> wrote:
                  > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Cheeseandsalsa@a... wrote:
                  > > Could you briefly explain what living "in the consciousness soul"
                  > means? I
                  > > have a pretty good idea but need some clarity. I am starting my
                  > first year
                  > > of biography this fall. It is the goal for all of us to be
                  living
                  > in the
                  > > consciousness soul. Is part of it the new heart thinking? Thank
                  > you Chantel.

                  We talk about Human Beings in the Consciousness Soul and it is always
                  better to give examples. To study in the Goethean Sense, it is
                  important to bring living examples, Plants, Trees, Animal studies and
                  Human Biographical voices, and all the better if they are still
                  alive. In this instance, I cite Robert Byrd again. Many times in the
                  recent past he has spoke up on the Senate floor, in his youth he was
                  a member of the KKK, but has since had a long life with rich maturity
                  and dignity that has carried itself well beyond the usual prejudice
                  hidden in the deep south...Particularly West Virginia, where I had
                  taught college for sometime. It must be noted that the actual
                  unfolding of America and the deep south, in the long years of Senator
                  Byrd's life, brought anyone who worked in the public eye, in
                  relationship to the ills of the deep South, particularly in the
                  backward state of West Virginia. Bro. Ron had drawn thoughts showing
                  that all Robert Byrd ever did was get money and things named after
                  his big ego, for the state of West Virginia.

                  Ramsey Clark and Robert Byrd are both in and beyond their Saturn
                  development. They have must to say to the Far West that the Far West
                  hates to hear. Their age and experience have arrived at the vision of
                  the Nation and they in their souls the goal of our age, the
                  Consciousness Soul in their thinking. Their insights are only
                  childish whispers compared to the booming voice of Steiner who was
                  mature and conscious, well beyond the level of the Consciousness
                  Soul. Steiner's voice shines well into the SPirit Selfhood
                  development and crushes Ahrimanic intention with his profound light.

                  The type of thinkers that Byrd and Clark are, or the corporate CEO
                  that arrives at this ripe vision, is sent into retirement, is sent
                  quickly out to pasture, as soon as possible, like old Elephants,
                  because the Intellectual Soul and Sentient Soul of the aggressive,
                  greedy, and hungry sharks, hate the point where the picture of
                  humanity shines through with strength, wisdom and compassion. In
                  these Old growth trees, thought and clarity arise as a natural force
                  from the biography. But they are hated because it disturbs the bottom
                  line, the profit margin which must deny the rights of individuals in
                  order to retain and show a false profit.

                  Should we Impeach George Bush, Yes we should, his record of blindly
                  going along with advisers that are liars and have supported the
                  nationalistic, and false patriotic jingo and division of the U.S. and
                  corrupted the world community with his adminstrations lies, should be
                  something we measure that is even more disgusting than BJ in the
                  White House. Anybody, and all of us, can push these listed lies that
                  Senator Byrd quietly unfolds, back into the election defeat of this
                  immature and rude President. It must be remembered that even the
                  Jessica Lynch rescue was a lie and a staged event to create a poster
                  image of the heroic. Just as Colin Powell was given lies to say at
                  the U.N., so Jessica Lynch has faded off the news because it was all
                  lies. Senator Byrd and the Consciousness Soul:

                  Robert Byrd: Iraq War, "Unprovoked Invasion of A Sovereign Nation"
                  Statement

                  Wednesday 21 May 2003

                  "Truth has a way of asserting itself despite all attempts to
                  obscure it. Distortion only serves to derail it for a time. No matter
                  to what lengths we humans may go to obfuscate facts or delude our
                  fellows, truth has a way of squeezing out through the cracks,
                  eventually.

                  But the danger is that at some point it may no longer matter. The
                  danger is that damage is done before the truth is widely realized.
                  The reality is that, sometimes, it is easier to ignore uncomfortable
                  facts and go along with whatever distortion is currently in vogue. We
                  see a lot of this today in politics. I see a lot of it - - more than
                  I would ever have believed - - right on this Senate Floor.

                  Regarding the situation in Iraq, it appears to this Senator that
                  the American people may have been lured into accepting the unprovoked
                  invasion of a sovereign nation, in violation of long-standing
                  International law, under false premises.

                  There is ample evidence that the horrific events of September 11
                  have been carefully manipulated to switch public focus from Osama Bin
                  Laden and Al Queda who masterminded the September 11th attacks, to
                  Saddam Hussein who did not. The run up to our invasion of Iraq
                  featured the President and members of his cabinet invoking every
                  frightening image they could conjure, from mushroom clouds, to buried
                  caches of germ warfare, to drones poised to deliver germ laden death
                  in our major cities. We were treated to a heavy dose of overstatement
                  concerning Saddam Hussein and his direct threat to our freedoms. The
                  tactic was guaranteed to provoke a sure reaction from a nation still
                  suffering from a combination of post traumatic stress and justifiable
                  anger after the attacks of 911. It was the exploitation of fear. It
                  was a placebo for the anger.

                  Since the war's end, every subsequent revelation which has seemed
                  to refute the previous dire claims of the Bush Administration has
                  been brushed aside. Instead of addressing the contradictory evidence,
                  the White House deftly changes the subject. No weapons of mass
                  destruction have yet turned up, but we are told that they will in
                  time. Perhaps they yet will. But, our costly and destructive bunker
                  busting attack on Iraq seems to have proven, in the main, precisely
                  the opposite of what we were told was the urgent reason to go in. It
                  seems also to have, for the present, verified the assertions of Hans
                  Blix and the inspection team he led, which President Bush and company
                  so derided. As Blix always said, a lot of time will be needed to find
                  such weapons, if they do, indeed, exist. Meanwhile Bin Laden is still
                  on the loose and Saddam Hussein has come up missing.

                  The Administration assured the U.S. public and the world, over and
                  over again, that an attack was necessary to protect our people and
                  the world from terrorism. It assiduously worked to alarm the public
                  and blur the faces of Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden until they
                  virtually became one.

                  What has become painfully clear in the aftermath of war is that
                  Iraq was no immediate threat to the U.S. Ravaged by years of
                  sanctions, Iraq did not even lift an airplane against us. Iraq's
                  threatening death-dealing fleet of unmanned drones about which we
                  heard so much morphed into one prototype made of plywood and string.
                  Their missiles proved to be outdated and of limited range. Their army
                  was quickly overwhelmed by our technology and our well trained troops.

                  Presently our loyal military personnel continue their mission of
                  diligently searching for WMD. They have so far turned up only
                  fertilizer, vacuum cleaners, conventional weapons, and the occasional
                  buried swimming pool. They are misused on such a mission and they
                  continue to be at grave risk. But, the Bush team's extensive hype of
                  WMD in Iraq as justification for a preemptive invasion has become
                  more than embarrassing. It has raised serious questions about
                  prevarication and the reckless use of power. Were our troops
                  needlessly put at risk? Were countless Iraqi civilians killed and
                  maimed when war was not really necessary? Was the American public
                  deliberately misled? Was the world?

                  What makes me cringe even more is the continued claim that we
                  are "liberators." The facts don't seem to support the label we have
                  so euphemistically attached to ourselves. True, we have unseated a
                  brutal, despicable despot, but "liberation" implies the follow up of
                  freedom, self-determination and a better life for the common people.
                  In fact, if the situation in Iraq is the result of "liberation," we
                  may have set the cause of freedom back 200 years.

                  Despite our high-blown claims of a better life for the Iraqi
                  people, water is scarce, and often foul, electricity is a sometime
                  thing, food is in short supply, hospitals are stacked with the
                  wounded and maimed, historic treasures of the region and of the Iraqi
                  people have been looted, and nuclear material may have been
                  disseminated to heaven knows where, while U.S. troops, on orders,
                  looked on and guarded the oil supply.

                  Meanwhile, lucrative contracts to rebuild Iraq's infrastructure and
                  refurbish its oil industry are awarded to Administration cronies,
                  without benefit of competitive bidding, and the U.S. steadfastly
                  resists offers of U.N. assistance to participate. Is there any wonder
                  that the real motives of the U.S. government are the subject of
                  worldwide speculation and mistrust?

                  And in what may be the most damaging development, the U.S. appears
                  to be pushing off Iraq's clamor for self-government. Jay Garner has
                  been summarily replaced, and it is becoming all too clear that the
                  smiling face of the U.S. as liberator is quickly assuming the scowl
                  of an occupier. The image of the boot on the throat has replaced the
                  beckoning hand of freedom. Chaos and rioting only exacerbate that
                  image, as U.S. soldiers try to sustain order in a land ravaged by
                  poverty and disease. "Regime change" in Iraq has so far meant
                  anarchy, curbed only by an occupying military force and a U.S.
                  administrative presence that is evasive about if and when it intends
                  to depart.

                  Democracy and Freedom cannot be force fed at the point of an
                  occupier's gun. To think otherwise is folly. One has to stop and
                  ponder. How could we have been so impossibly naive? How could we
                  expect to easily plant a clone of U.S. culture, values, and
                  government in a country so riven with religious, territorial, and
                  tribal rivalries, so suspicious of U.S. motives, and so at odds with
                  the galloping materialism which drives the western-style economies?

                  As so many warned this Administration before it launched its
                  misguided war on Iraq, there is evidence that our crack down in Iraq
                  is likely to convince 1,000 new Bin Ladens to plan other horrors of
                  the type we have seen in the past several days. Instead of damaging
                  the terrorists, we have given them new fuel for their fury. We did
                  not complete our mission in Afghanistan because we were so eager to
                  attack Iraq. Now it appears that Al Queda is back with a vengeance.

                  We have returned to orange alert in the U.S., and we may well have
                  destabilized the Mideast region, a region we have never fully
                  understood. We have alienated friends around the globe with our
                  dissembling and our haughty insistence on punishing former friends
                  who may not see things quite our way. The path of diplomacy and
                  reason have gone out the window to be replaced by force,
                  unilateralism, and punishment for transgressions. I read most
                  recently with amazement our harsh castigation of Turkey, our longtime
                  friend and strategic ally. It is astonishing that our government is
                  berating the new Turkish government for conducting its affairs in
                  accordance with its own Constitution and its democratic institutions.

                  Indeed, we may have sparked a new international arms race as
                  countries move ahead to develop WMD as a last ditch attempt to ward
                  off a possible preemptive strike from a newly belligerent U.S. which
                  claims the right to hit where it wants. In fact, there is little to
                  constrain this President. This Congress, in what will go down in
                  history as its most unfortunate act, gave away its power to declare
                  war for the foreseeable future and empowered this President to wage
                  war at will.

                  As if that were not bad enough, members of Congress are reluctant
                  to ask questions which are begging to be asked. How long will we
                  occupy Iraq? We have already heard disputes on the numbers of troops
                  which will be needed to retain order. What is the truth? How costly
                  will the occupation and rebuilding be? No one has given a straight
                  answer. How will we afford this long-term massive commitment, fight
                  terrorism at home, address a serious crisis in domestic healthcare,
                  afford behemoth military spending and give away billions in tax cuts
                  amidst a deficit which has climbed to over $340 billion for this year
                  alone? If the President's tax cut passes it will be $400 billion. We
                  cower in the shadows while false statements proliferate. We accept
                  soft answers and shaky explanations because to demand the truth is
                  hard, or unpopular, or may be politically costly.

                  But, I contend that, through it all, the people know. The American
                  people unfortunately are used to political shading, spin, and the
                  usual chicanery they hear from public officials. They patiently
                  tolerate it up to a point. But there is a line. It may seem to be
                  drawn in invisible ink for a time, but eventually it will appear in
                  dark colors, tinged with anger. When it comes to shedding American
                  blood - - when it comes to wrecking havoc on civilians, on innocent
                  men, women, and children, callous dissembling is not acceptable.
                  Nothing is worth that kind of lie - - not oil, not revenge, not
                  reelection, not somebody's grand pipedream of a democratic domino
                  theory.

                  And mark my words, the calculated intimidation which we see so
                  often of late by the "powers that be" will only keep the loyal
                  opposition quiet for just so long. Because eventually, like it always
                  does, the truth will emerge. And when it does, this house of cards,
                  built of deceit, will fall."

                  Previous discussions on the Consciousness Soul;

                  I think many of
                  > us would agree that Consciousness Soul thinking, exchanges have
                  very
                  > little to do with your age... Yet one can measure that someone is
                  in
                  > their fifties and unable to speak with dignity about all of
                  humanity,
                  > therefore there is a struggle that is still laced with behavior
                  that
                  > has not mastered or is held back at Sentient and Emotional retarded
                  > thoughts about humanity and religion or is caught in the
                  Intellectual
                  > Soul or the Political Animal, the common corporate thought strata,
                  > business, mortgages, percentages, and whole conversations at any
                  > dinner table never penetrates very deeply but shares, what it
                  > believes to be common insights because they have heard the news and
                  > share news and gossip together. Hardly Consciousness Soul level.

                  The Consciousness Soul is a vast world of feeling, thinking and
                  > willing activities that hold the whole pattern of mythos, religion
                  > and global unity in a generous open brotherhood. John Lennon
                  Imagine
                  > song and many other examples are Consciousness Soul inspirations.
                  >
                  > Others can take it up, I am running late for an appointment. sorry
                  it
                  > was so sketchy.

                  Bradford
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
                    What refreshing research has been coming from Joel, Elaine, Starman
                    and all. Truly inspiring work. These are contributions that thrill,
                    that invite the heart and mind into deeper reaches. Great reading. I
                    wish to add something here as an update to the close proximity of
                    Mars and the Buddha forces.

                    It has been my intention to follow the closeness of Mars, the closest
                    it has drawn to the Earth in 70,000 years is approaching in August.
                    All during this time period America and the World has been drawing
                    sides in a For/or Against War in the old Mars paradigm. The Old Mars
                    paradigm raised its ugly head again in PLANS and watching the Wolf
                    grow in pre-emptive American papers and positions, based on the
                    Wolf/Rome/Fenrir of a pre-Christ Imperialism, and the current group
                    of Wolves in the White House under Wolfowitz- which is Wits of the
                    Wolf. How apt and clear the Logos sometimes is to the strange
                    perceptions in a name, is what Waldorf Teachers tend to look at.
                    Either as a transformation or understanding what the Mother heard
                    when the Child was born. Wolfowitz does lead us back to Weimar in one
                    way or another. It does raise the Weimar Issue on an Ahrimanic cycle
                    and wave.

                    Currently we need to look at a person and a contribution that has all
                    the earmarks of a transforming their Mars position. Sean Penn has
                    certainly been a Mars individual. His biography with Madonna and
                    beyond, his films and his choices of film roles, his youthful
                    violence, have been in a constant state of Mars flux and
                    transformation. It usually remains hidden from view, but sometimes
                    such Mars transformations surface and suddenly we see again the face
                    of the true School of common Humanity we all shared together in the
                    Spiritual world prior to our incarnations.

                    What we are able to observe in the following, is a crucial and
                    critical call, as the Mars forces of Buddha and St. Francis have
                    approached, approached with an After the Christ Event call to all
                    those who hold the Spirit of the world dear. Sean Penn is giving
                    voice to a part of the American Psyche that is not subject to what I
                    have diagnosed as "The Deconstruction and Stagnation of the American
                    Psyche." The entire world and Freedom itself, the Freedom fostered by
                    Michael and Spiritual Science and the Philosophy of Freedom out of
                    Weimar, which was a Declaration of Independence more profound than
                    the American Declaration because it linked the Founding Fathers deed
                    of the West to the Michael Deed of Intelligence and all of humanity
                    back again to the Spiritual World.

                    Steiner's Earth shaking deed came with a direct confrontation with
                    the darkest potentials of the Ahrimanic threat. He wrote a "Fifth
                    Gospel" his insights into the history and destiny of the Gods sets
                    human Freedom on a firm foundation. His politics, as Aristotle,
                    brought the new Christ paradigm of the Threefold Social Order. That
                    is the difference and a difference we need to understand in bringing
                    to light the ideas of souls before the Christ Event and the new
                    paradigms after the Christ Event. Steiner has compared Hamlet,
                    Buddha, Socrates and we have ample evidence that such a Triadic
                    change in thinking is key to understanding Democracy or the Republic.

                    Steiner's deeds crown the deed of what the Founding Fathers in
                    America were attempting. It is just our cultish lack of thinking that
                    fails to make the bridge, which luckily, this list has had a surge in
                    wonderful living thinking from so many, (thank you Starbirgarden as
                    well). Much that Joel has brought in dialogue with Elaine about the
                    Native Americans has been superb. But now we must link it to the
                    current crisis in America.

                    Indeed there is a current crisis in the Far West and at the core of
                    it, is the direction that America has taken. America has returned to
                    the paradigm of the Old Mars forces and half the world is divided as
                    to the meaning of the Old Mars paradigm and the New Mars paradigm. We
                    have started the 21st century off with forces grabbing the Old Mars
                    paradigm and step by step destroying both the Founding Fathers
                    intentions, and even the best results of the Native American
                    Foundations which this country was built on. Spiritual Science holds
                    the key to the new Mars Paradigm and the mysterious trails of destiny
                    that link Jesus to Buddha lead to the depth of the Mars paradigm.

                    Sean Penn truly reflects our generations Mars Paradigm. We could say
                    that wonderful John Lennon had the same stubborn forces in his soul
                    development and we would be correct in these observations into Mars
                    paradigms in human biography. We should be able to read our times,
                    the Time Spirits indications.

                    I suggest reading the entire plea from Sean Penn listed below, for it
                    reflects a powerful and dramatic situation here in the Far West and
                    it reflects every good aspect of what can grow from souls who
                    understand the new Buddha and St. Francis Mars paradigm. JUst
                    remember, beloved St. Francis is not streaming into incarnation with
                    us anymore, he is fighting along with Buddha, to filter the bad
                    effects of Mar forces before it grows from the soil and incarnation
                    on Earth. It is a Karma modification School in the Spiritual World
                    and the Paradigm of Mars is critical. It was developed so that the
                    Earth could reach the goals that await humanity. Presently we are in
                    the grip of massive media and political thinking that can truly be
                    called Retarded forces.

                    Steiner drew Buddha as a sweeping force of the Past and Tolkien has
                    captured in his Great Work the old Norse/Old Moon Imaginations of
                    some of Buddha's ancient destiny. Now Socrates shines into the
                    future, Steiner made a circle and showed a comet core of the Past and
                    a comet core of the future and the Christ Event tied them together.
                    Socrates and Leo Strauss allow us to understand the Philsopher Kings
                    under the Christ Realm and also understand the future of how Socrates
                    might be used in Education and Politics.

                    I bring this to your attention because the current festivals of the
                    Christ Initiation of the Earth move through this season of Mars.
                    Never has the world been in such an important season of
                    transformation. You can feel it in how the Voice of Joel communicates
                    and others in the world take hold of the mighty potentials we have
                    now to see the World differently.

                    The voice of a new U.N. should be the voice of the Tongues of Flame.
                    These mighty Spirit Self flames of brotherhood, connected all
                    countries of the world in a common intelligence and Speech based on
                    the Deed of the Christ Being. You may follow the detiny of "The Tower
                    of Babel", the "League of Nations" - The Native American League of
                    Nations, "The United Nations" but the key to it all is the Tongues of
                    Flame that approach as Pentecost approachs, under the name the
                    Whitsun festival. It is the key to understanding the powers of the
                    word still in our hands that we wish to defend for the future of
                    humanity. Thank carefully, Buddha, Christian Rosenkreuz, Heindel,
                    Steiner, St. Francis,---massive lists of names support this mighty
                    shift, this would include, Leo Strauss-Tolstoy-C.S.Lewis and all the
                    mighty Michael School teachers that have brought us so much to hold
                    onto out of Spiritual Science.

                    Sean Penn and KIlroy - a very good read, if you can read it all.

                    http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/060103B.shtml

                    (snip)

                    "In re-evaluating the responsibility of citizenship and U.S. foreign
                    policy in the post-9/11 age, there have been disparate opinions among
                    Americans about how supporting our troops would now be defined, how
                    supporting our principles would now be defined, and how the "rule of
                    law" would now be upheld. In what way would dissent be most
                    productive within a system of government that does not exist without
                    questioning by its people? We accepted that journalists
                    were "embedded" with reliance on their subject, the military, to keep
                    them from harm's way. We found that our Secretary of State presented
                    plagiarized and fictitious evidence of WMD's in Iraq to the American
                    people and the world. We would rely on this, our government, acting
                    alone, to uncover those weapons of mass destruction said to be
                    possessed by the Iraqis and originally said to have justified our
                    assault. A similar justification came out of military sources in
                    Baghdad, when an American tank fired on journalists on the sixth
                    floor of the Palestine Hotel in response to shots claimed to have
                    been fired on them from that building's lobby. In a hotel full of
                    international journalists, not one heard the shots that the military
                    reported to have preceded their "response". We would watch as the
                    United Nations was described "unnecessary," rather than useful, if
                    only as an oversight committee, inspiring some domestic and
                    international faith in a new found American weapons inspections
                    process that is covert at best. Any responsible person must ask, in
                    whose hands our flag now waves and what perception the world may have
                    of it in those hands.

                    Even as the New York Times presents unchallenging articles (see
                    Judith Miller, April 21, 2003,"Prohibited Weapons") on a weapons
                    inspections process now in place, unnoticed are the legitimate
                    concerns about potential insertion of WMD evidence. Our television
                    channels show images of grateful and liberated Iraqis with no
                    acknowledgement that true poverty will bring the best of us to our
                    knees, where we would honor any individual or nation who held food.
                    Our knowledge and understanding of Arab culture and Islamic belief is
                    sketchy at best. While Saddam Hussein was certainly a beast among
                    men, and while his people, to any degree that we would presume
                    comprehension, were under the thumb of brutal oppression in his
                    hands, we must reflect as we triumph at the image of an American
                    soldier cradling an Iraqi infant, with no curiosity as to the fate of
                    its parents. And what of the shocking rise in leukemias and other
                    cancers in Iraq due to depleted uranium exposure and of the thousands
                    of unexploded ordinances, both, gifts of U.S. artillery. Will we
                    remember the hundreds of thousands of children who suffered slow and
                    agonizing deaths by diarrhea? These primarily attributed to the U.S.-
                    led sanctions in Iraq, where bombing of water treatment plants and an
                    embargo on chlorine continued to ravage predominantly young victims.
                    We must reflect on the certainty with which we were sold a war on the
                    basis of what we now so expertly call WMDs. We must reflect on the
                    resentment of the world, invited in our positioning ourselves as
                    their police. With Syria, Iran, and North Korea on media hit lists,
                    we must reflect on the availability of funds for violent crusades in
                    the absence of funding crusades for healing the very real suffering
                    of our own people and others.

                    This is our money I speak of, not theirs. Ours. Our democracy. Our
                    flag. (Lest we forget Enron) but, we see Exxon. We see Bechtel. We
                    see Halliburton. We see Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Powell,
                    Rice, Perle, Ashcroft, Murdoch, many. We see no WMDs. We see dead
                    young Americans. We see no WMDs. We see dead Iraqi civilians. We see
                    no WMDs. We see chaos in the Baghdad streets. But no WMDs. We see the
                    disappearance of a murderous Iraqi dictator, who relented his
                    struggle and ran without the use of WMDs.

                    Now I want to see one more thing. In Iraq, and in the United States,
                    I want to see who's the boss. I want to see who's the people. I want
                    to see who are the sheep. And I want to know the lions. I don't know
                    what the future of the Iraqi people will be. I don't know what the
                    future of our own people will be. I do know, that while we all
                    watched the headlines, the drama, the indelible, the horrifying and
                    forever unjustifiable violence that occurred in the United States on
                    September 11, 2001, that it has diverted our eyes from the beauty of
                    this country, and its foundation that act was intended to shake. It
                    seems Osama Bin Laden's agenda is being furthered by our fear,
                    promoted by the invective language of media and a Congress that
                    shamefully cowers from criticism, as we hack away at the arms, the
                    legs, and the soul of our own civil liberties, our constitution, our
                    principles, and our flag.

                    There has never been a time when it has been more important for
                    citizens to stand up, to speak, to agree, to disagree, to resolve, to
                    be non-violent. To be nonviolent. When we allow prideful killers to
                    define our value as presumption, then only murder can live in our
                    dreams. We can't be shamed into hiding, frightened into line. We
                    can't be less than yesterday. And we can't sit still today. Not if we
                    love our children. This is a question of a peoples' internal
                    reflection preceding their government's external reaction. In 1939,
                    William Saroyan wrote:

                    "In the time of your life , live - so that in that good time there
                    shall be no ugliness or death for yourself or for any life your life
                    touches. Seek goodness everywhere, and when it is found, bring it out
                    of its hiding place and let it be free and unashamed. Place in matter
                    and in flesh the least of the values, for these are the things that
                    hold death and must pass away. Discover in all things that which
                    shines and is beyond corruption. Encourage virtue in whatever heart
                    it may have been driven into secrecy and sorrow by the shame and
                    terror of the world. Ignore the obvious, for it is unworthy of the
                    clear eye and the kindly heart. Be the inferior of no man, nor of any
                    man be the superior. Remember that every man is a variation of
                    yourself. No man's guilt is not yours, nor is any man's innocence a
                    thing apart. Despise evil and ungodliness, but not men of ungodliness
                    or evil. These, understand. Have no shame in being kindly and gentle,
                    but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have
                    no regret. In the time of your life, live - so that in that wondrous
                    time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but
                    shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it."

                    Philosophically, Saroyan offers a noble aspiration. But we have to be
                    very careful, whether listening to the television after a hard day's
                    work, or while reading a poem at a luxury resort, to be men and women
                    of our own time. When he wrote about a time "to kill" he wrote in a
                    world without nuclear proliferation, massive globalization,
                    television, or the decimation of a nation's long held traditions. He
                    was a man of his time as we are of ours. We are struggling now with
                    the question of whether there is any longer a time to kill. We are
                    grappling perhaps with memetic evolution. God help us, at some point
                    we may need to exercise military action to counter real and
                    specifically targeted threats. But real threats require the existence
                    of real opposition in debating strategies where the lives of American
                    soldiers and innocent civilians are threatened. With few exceptions,
                    notably congresspeople Barbara Lee and Dennis Kucinich and Senators
                    Robert Byrd and Ted Kennedy, the Democratic leadership has been
                    entirely complicit. And it has been an obscene and cowardly betrayal
                    of their constituencies.

                    I'm not a Democrat, not a Republican, not a Green, not aligned with
                    any party. Yet, as a citizen of the United States, I was raised in
                    the public school system of the 1960's and '70s. Each morning,
                    following the first bell, we were called upon as young boys and girls
                    to stand, put our right hand over our hearts, and pledge allegiance
                    to the flag of our country. As a schoolboy, I participated in this
                    tradition unquestioningly and by rote. When in fact, neither flag,
                    nor country, nor school for that matter, is of much interest to most
                    young boys dreaming of bicycle rides, surfing, or the girl in the
                    front of the class. (Was it the way the flag waved or the wave of her
                    hair I'd pledged to?... I don't remember.)

                    Of course, with age, and maturity, come examination of, and rebellion
                    toward, the traditions and compulsory behaviors of our childhood.
                    With some time however, we gain at least an objective appreciation
                    and respect for the great symbol of sacrifice and heroism reflected
                    in such an icon as our flag (albeit historically and presently
                    intermingled with varying degrees of corruption and exploitation).
                    Ultimately though, as with many things in this life, these symbols
                    are vulnerable to underappreciation, until we have lost them. I am an
                    American and I fear that I, and our people are on the verge of losing
                    our flag. If it is lost, it will have been under our watch, under
                    mine and undermined.

                    Only five short years ago, September 12th, 1998, I sat upon a wooden
                    church pew as a military honor guard reached across my lap to place a
                    precisely folded American flag into the stoic hands of my father's
                    widow. His beloved wife of forty-one years... my mother. My dad, Leo
                    Penn had died from lung cancer at the age of 77. (The last time I saw
                    my father was in a viewing casket on September 11th.) A decorated
                    soldier in World War II and a blacklisted artist in the '50s, it was
                    this cloth of Stars and Stripes and all it had meant to him, and had
                    come to mean to me, that brought unexpected and unrestrained emotion.
                    The soldier, in his fine dress uniform, began to speak to my
                    mother "In the name of the President of the United States and in
                    gratitude for your husband's heroic..." And that was it, I was gone.
                    I thought, where the hell did this flood of emotion come from?

                    But, the answer came quickly. My father loved this country so deeply,
                    and he had passed that love and patriotism on to his three sons. At
                    that moment, this son, this distracted boy from the public school
                    system, became all that patriotic could describe in a living
                    civilian, and that flag before my mother's now gently tear-streaked
                    face, came to embody every freedom, privilege, and pride I'd ever
                    known. It symbolized my father. His great heart, his kindness, his
                    courage, and yes, even his (I was lucky)occasional human lapses.

                    Yet, now here we are, just those five short years have passed, and
                    that same flag that took me so long to love, respect, and protect,
                    threatens to become a haunting banner of murder, greed, and treason
                    against our principles, honored history, Constitution, and our own
                    mothers and fathers. To become a vulgar billboard, advertising our
                    disloyalty to ourselves and our allies. Our forefathers entrusted
                    that flag and what it should stand for, whether in times of bliss or
                    terror, to our fathers and mothers. And they have entrusted it to us.
                    The responsibility"for which it stands" is ours. That flag is my
                    father and I want him back. "