Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Threefold Website

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2003
      Dear Evert,

      I never used the words "perfect" or "infallible". In the World of
      Ideas, this kind of comparative thinking would be completely irrelevant.

      Thinking in Ideas, or what is sometimes called "pure thinking" isn't
      pure in some kind of moral or perfect or infallible sense, but rather is
      thinking which only has "experience" of the mobile and light filled
      realm which lies in between Spiritual Beings and and incarnate "I am".
      This thinking isn't about the world of the senses, but rather the it is
      about the relationships of the object or content of the "thinking" to
      all that lies within and around the context in which the object lives.

      So in "thinking" about the social, one isn't creating ideas, but
      "seeing". If there is a creative act in this cognitive process, it is
      after the "seeing" and during the "expressing", when the objective is to
      render the experience of what has been "seen" into words. This involves
      a certain degree of craft and art (creativity), given that the words on
      the page have little relationship with what has been seen.

      In pure thinking, there is an element like "breathing". One doesn't
      always remain in the realm of Ideas, but rather breathes in and out of
      this "state", while at the same time the relevant Spiritual Being also
      "breathes". Nor do we have to experience this Being directly to know
      its Presence, because its activity has an effect which we experience -
      its breathing helps sustain our own activity.

      John 3:8 "The wind blows where it wills, and you hear the sound of it,
      but you do not know whence it comes or whither it goes; so it is with
      every one who is born of the Spirit"

      When we breath out, the Ideas fall away into words, kind of like an
      after effect. When we breath in, the wording ceases and one is just

      What we know as threefolding, in the sense of all the words Steiner
      wrote, is something else to pure thinking. The words are an attempt to
      describe something at once quite real, and at the same time very
      complicated. It takes a lot of effort to sustain one's consciousness in
      this complexity, and frequently one only gets bits and pieces - we kind
      of nibble at "understanding" what we are "seeing".

      Of course, the use of the analogy "seeing" can be misleading, because
      the pure thinking experience is not like our visual sense experience. In
      our visual sense experience we have our "I am" as something over against
      some apparent "object", which is out there - separate from us. The
      "seeing" in pure thinking is more "felt", because we are to a degree
      "with" the object of our cognition. When I "think" about the social, I
      am "with" it, not observing it. I "enter in" to its nature. This
      "uniting" gesture comes from love - I can't really understand what I
      don't love. So because of the love element, and the "felt" element,
      people with experience are more and more speaking of "heart thinking".

      Steiner was certainly able to maintain "contact" for extended periods
      of time, and we know from his notebooks (see the lectures on Color) that
      what he frequently noted when he put matters into words was more poetic
      and fragmentary, than what he wrote when it was time to create a long
      textual construction,such as his books. Explaining something to another
      person is a quite different activity than the "thinking" that precedes

      If we want to try to go where the author was before they wrote, then we
      have to lovingly live into the words on the page, and try to breath into
      the ideas living above the words. Steiner wrote many of his books
      precisely in a way that could help our practice in this regard. We can
      read, for example, Theosophy in two different ways. In one way we just
      gather isolated concepts and definitions - the Sentient Soul means this,
      the Intellectual Soul means that. The other way is to enter into the
      stream of ideas, to try to connect (unite) with what arises in our
      consciousness when we "read". We trust the author to take us "up", and
      in fact make ourselves open to in-the-moment "respiration" with higher
      worlds. The intention in "reading" is everything.

      So with Steiner's social writings. If we "fight" them, that is if we
      are thinking during the reading that since this idea on the page is
      different from our own understanding, and that there are better
      understandings (our own, another's) we don't really experience what was
      written. We have to give ourselves up to what is there, and then when
      we have "entered in" to it, we have a different experience.

      Of course, it is entirely possible that something written is really not
      for us, either in the immediate sense, or perhaps ever. If that is the
      case, we should trust that impulse. We don't all have to drink from the
      same spring.

      warm regards,