Hello Evert! Hello Lee!

  • elaineupton2001
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2003
      Dear Evert and Lee,

      I really appreciate your questions (on living thinking, for example,
      and on Christ)--that is, Evert, except when the questions have the
      word "stuff" in them--smile?. "Stuff" is demeaning in my feeling. It
      feels to me the same as if you'd call my mother, or my baby, "stuff".

      Now, on the subject of Living Thinking (to which others have richly
      responded already):

      Poet Rilke said, Learn to love the questions, and live into the
      questions as if, one day after long trial, living into the answer.

      I think this is relevant to "living thinking" and Joel's comments on
      Goethe, as well as Starman's comments on Willed Thinking and Thinking
      with Heart. Questions take us, or can take us, out of the realm of
      linear logic kind of thinking, and help us listen to the essence, the
      organic reality, the THINKING THAT IS THOUGHT in the so-called thing,
      which is, as someone pointed out, not an "it" or "thing" really, but
      a living being with whom we can enter relationship (and are, often
      useen, in relationship).

      The Native Americans knew all this long ago. The Lakota end
      ceremonies with prayers, Mitaquye Oyasin. May it be For All My
      Relations (two-legged, four-legged, crawling, flying, swimming,
      breathing plants, stars, all...). They knew and know that the Earth
      is a living breathing being, and to enter into relationship with her
      is to enter into a living thinking. But in the West, often we look at
      her as "nature" and as something to be *used*, rather than as
      something to listen to and enter into relationship with.--Yet, I ask,
      do we seek, ideally, to use our mothers?

      Percept and concept (from Steiner's Philsophy of Spiritual Activity),
      seems to help many with these questions. There are exercises in How
      to Know Higher Worlds, and other places, and in readings on Goethe's
      methods and plant studies (Metamorposen der Pflanzen or some such
      title).

      Smile!