Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Living Thinking

  • jeff barney
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2003
      Also see research in neurocardiology. Joseph chilton pearce is an exellent interpreter of info one won't see for years to come in conventional research journals.

      DRStarman2001@... wrote:
      anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Subject: Living Thinking
      Could someone give me a reference to where Steiner defines the concept
      of Living Thinking?
      Thanks,
      Evert

      *******The ancient Greeks used to say that Man thought with his heart, not with his head. This was a way of saying real thinking is done with the entire being. Living thinking has all the Will and feeling put into it that you use in living your life.
          Steiner sometimes called it having life in thinking, sometimes 'wollen in gedanken', Will in thinking.
         One of the best collections I know of his various descriptions of it is the book "Rudolf Steiner on His Book The Philosophy of Freedom" arranged by Otto Palmer. It's not online at the Steiner electronic library, but they have a summary of it here and I believe a note that it's available from the Anthroposophical Press:

      http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/sumries.txt;bytes=90360-90747

      -Starman
      http://www.DrStarman.net

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Lee Peters
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2003

        That was great ( about the Rosicrucian Path and the blending of East and West in some "
        eastern approaches" now in use. But I have a question about this below.
        Can you or Steiner or someone else describe exactly how pure thinking and reason are actually experienced in the the out of body condition. Do we think and form words like here on earth? Descriptions I have run across state that as "travelers" think, it instantly manifests around them. Telepathy is natural and seeing the reading the minds of others equally so.

        What is your knowledge here? How do we learn to "think" and reason in this new state?

        Lee

        ******But actually pure thinking, reasoning about whatever you observe, IS carried over into the body-free state. It's a falsehood that our thinking is only good for sense-perceptible objects: it is good for anything observed, through any senses, including those of the soul and the spirit. When the self is separated from the physical body, it does indeed use reason--- only pure reason, pure thinking, as in mathematics and geometry, not the mere 'having of thought-images' that most people use in daily life, which is dependent on the body.

        -Starman
        http://www.DrStarman.net

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • elaineupton2001
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2003
          Dear Lee and all,

          Lee, you asked about whether there are any initiates besides Steiner
          (in the Steinerian vein, I assume, you mean). There is the danger for
          some of us of getting into the superstar mode and looking for
          initiates to look up to or worship. So, in looking for initiates, I
          feel a need to be careful.

          Having said that, let me say that some consider Orland Bishop to be
          an initiate. I don't know if he publishes (in print) anything, but he
          is involved in a lot of social initiatives, with another great
          anthroposophic leader (in my opinion) and that one is Nicanor Perlas,
          a Phillipine who walks the talk and brings it down to Earth in
          relationship to Cosmos. Nicanor Perlas has things on the web,
          especially as regards Threefolding and Civil Society and the work to
          overcome corporate globalism. Also in this realm is the work of
          Jesiaiah Ben-Aharon.

          Owen Barfield, now on the other side, is someone also whose work
          seems to me quite advanced and enlightened.

          I personally cannot say if any of these men are "initiates', but I do
          feel they have an immense lot to offer.

          I think there are women who show up in other traditions who have
          levels of initiation. Some of them are called curanderos and known by
          other titles, and they have achieved certain levels.

          The question is (or so I see it): what, or who, lights the light
          within you?

          There are, as you know, various levels and kinds of initiation (as
          pointed out by you, Starman, Joel and others in the references to
          Steiner). The important thing to me is to follow the highest
          promptings of Spirit in oneself, as best one can, and to study all
          great teachings that speak to one. The circle will be ever expanding,
          even if it is narrow at first. If the intention is high, then help
          will be found. As Steiner says (and I agree) if the intention is not
          just egotistical, but the work is for the "ennoblement of humanity
          and the upliftment of the cosmos" then one is on the right path.

          Aho!
          elaine
        • Lee Peters