Lilys of the Field

  • Bradford Riley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2003

      George McDonald

      "I may as well mention here, that the conclusion I arrived at from the
      observations I was afterwards able to make, was, that the flowers die
      because the fairies go away; not that the fairies disappear because
      the flowers die. The flowers seem a sort of houses for them, or outer
      bodies, which they can put on or off when they please. Just as you
      could form some idea of the nature of a man from the kind of house he
      built, if he followed his own taste, so you could, without seeing the
      fairies, tell what any one of them is like, by looking at the flower
      till you feel that you understand it. For just what the flower says
      to you, would the face and form of the fairy say; only so much more
      plainly as a face and human figure can express more than a flower.
      For the house or the clothes, though like the inhabitant or the
      wearer, cannot be wrought into an equal power of utterance. Yet you
      would see a strange resemblance, almost oneness, between the flower
      and the fairy, which you could not describe, but which described
      itself to you. Whether all the flowers have fairies, I cannot
      determine, any more than I can be sure whether all men and women have
      souls."