thinking and feeling

  • Joel Wendt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
      Dear List-mates,

      The essential act which stands behind "thinking" is the will. Thinking
      is a product of the will. The will directs the thinking toward its
      object, and maintains the thinking on its path to understanding.
      Without the will-in-thinking there is no freedom.

      Feeling is twofold (not surprising since the rhythmic system is twofold
      (heart and lungs). There is reactive feeling, which is not willed, but
      a consequence of experience. We have an experience and we subsequently
      have feelings. There is also created feeling, as in creating a mood of
      soul - this is the "wonder" that Steiner was quoted as saying (there are
      also other such "moods" - reverence, humility etc). But again, this
      created mood is an act of will - it doesn't arise spontaneously,
      although its cultivation as practice can over time make it more and more
      a permanent condition of the soul (still maintained by a low level of
      will).

      The psychic feeling which is described by "L" and criticized by
      Starspam, is not feeling at all, but a mis-perception within the act of
      introspection. Such feelings are in fact "intuitions", which arise in
      mind outside of the realm of logic (i.e. they are not "thought out"
      through reasoning). These felt intuitions seem to be feelings because
      they are generally accompanied by an experience of inner light (that's
      why we make a cartoon picture of a light-bulb going off over someones
      head). They represent "immediate" knowing, and again we can cultivate
      the life of the soul so that such "knowings" appear with greater
      clarity, regularity and certainty.

      These really have to do with "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and
      you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you" Matthew 7:7

      There is a yearning of the spirit in the soul to know, which is
      immediately meet by Grace from above. We tend to swim in a sea of these
      "intuitions", but being mostly asleep inwardly (not enough attention
      paid there) these pass us by. Again there is an art and a craft to
      making these brief moments of knowing the true and the good stand out
      against the generally noisy background of our discursive thinking, and
      the reactive feelings (sympathies and antipathies) which make up the
      greater part of our soul life in the beginning.

      As Bruce tried to point toward, the fundamental gesture of the will is
      through the heart into the head, so that thinking is "etherealized".
      The heart-filled cultivation of a mood of soul precedes the act of
      thinking. The will moves through the region of the heart in the
      creation of the cultivated feeling or mood, and by this act brings
      heart-warmed etheric forces into the head so that the following on act
      of thinking exists in a upward ethereal streaming that carries the
      thinking into the realm of the Etheric where Christ is present.

      Through such moods as wonder, reverence and humility, the quality of the
      thinking is transformed in such a way that it can be more easily met (we
      stop keeping Christ out) by a downward gesture from above (Grace) - from
      the Ethereal. In their union (the upward stream and the downward one)
      they become willed Intuition or communion with the object of the
      thinking (the "theme" for Kuhlewind fans, and "learning to think on your
      knees" for Tomberg fans, and "it thinks in me" for Steiner fans, and
      "two acts, only one our own", for Joel fans - see "pragmatic moral
      psychology" http://ipwebdev.com/hermit/stgfr5.html ).

      warm regards,
      joel
    • Bradford Riley
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
        From: Joel Wendt <hermit@...>
        >: [anthroposophy] thinking and feeling
        >Date: 02 Apr 2003 08:44:04 -0500

        Nicely wrought Joel, nicely done. I know it must sound complicated, but for
        the very process of Living, it was a very good socio-science inclusiion of
        the those areas, Etheric Body for instance, that in the future of the
        Michael Era, these things are not to be left out of the mix. People are
        destructive without a basic grasp of the Human Blueprint and this should be
        part of the next swing of those who defend substance, structure and essence
        of all human beings.

      • DRStarman2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
          "Man is a thought being and he can find his path to knowledge only when he makes thinking his starting-point. A picture of the higher worlds given to his intellect is not without value for him even if for the time being it is only like a story about higher facts into which he has not yet gained insight through his own perception. The thoughts that are given him represent in themselves a force that continues working in this thought world. This force will be active in him; it will awaken slumbering capacities. Whoever is of the opinion that it is superfluous to give himself up to such a thought picture is mistaken because he regards thought as something unreal and abstract. Thought is a living force, and just as for one who has knowledge, thought is present as a direct expression of what is seen in the spirit, so the imparting of this expression acts in the one to whom it is communicated as a germ that brings forth from itself the fruit of knowledge.

          Anyone disdaining the application of strenuous mental exertion in the effort to attain the higher knowledge, and preferring to make use of other forces in man to that end, fails to take into account the fact that thinking is the highest of the faculties possessed by man in the world of his senses."
                                                                                            -Rudolf Steiner, Theosophy