Some inspiration

  • Shawn Collins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003
      Thought you all might enjoy the wisdom and inspiration of the following
      communication by the author, Clarissa Pinkola Estes.......

      Letter to a Young Activist During Troubled Times
      by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D.

      Do not lose heart. We were made for these times. I have heard from
      so many recently who are deeply and properly bewildered.
      They are concerned about the state of affairs in our world right now

      .... Ours is a time of almost daily astonishment and often
      righteous rage over the latest degradations of what matters most to
      civilized, visionary people.

      You are right in your assessments. The lustre and hubris some have
      aspired to while endorsing acts so heinous against children,
      elders, everyday people, the poor, the unguarded, the helpless, is
      breathtaking. Yet, I urge you, ask you, gentle you, to please not
      spend your spirit dry by bewailing these difficult times.
      Especially do not lose hope. Most particularly because, the fact is -
      we were
      made for these times. Yes. For years, we have been learning,
      practicing, been in training for and just waiting to meet on this
      exact plane of engagement...

      I grew up on the Great Lakes and recognize a seaworthy vessel when I
      see one. Regarding awakened souls, there have never been
      more able crafts in the waters than there are right now across the
      world. And they are fully provisioned and able to signal one
      another as never before in the history of humankind... Look out over
      the
      prow; there are millions of boats of righteous souls on the waters
      with you. Even though your veneers may shiver from every wave in
      this stormy roil, I assure you that the long timbers composing
      your prow and rudder come from a greater forest. That long-grained
      lumber is known to withstand storms, to hold together, to hold
      its own, and to advance, regardless.

      We have been in training for a dark time such as this, since the day
      we assented to come to Earth. For many decades, worldwide,
      souls just like us have been felled and left for dead in so many
      ways over and over brought down by naiveté, by lack of love, by being
      ambushed and assaulted by various cultural and personal shocks in
      the extreme. We have a history of being gutted, and yet remember
      this especially - we have also, of necessity, perfected the knack of
      resurrection. Over and over again we have been the living proof
      that that which has been exiled, lost, or foundered can be restored
      to life again.

      In any dark time, there is a tendency to veer toward fainting over
      how much is wrong or unmended in the world. Do not focus on
      that. There is a tendency too to fall into being weakened by
      perseverating on what is outside your reach, by what cannot yet be.
      Do not focus there. That is spending the wind without raising the
      sails. We are needed, that is all we can know. And though we meet
      resistance, we more so will meet great souls who will hail us, love
      us and guide us, and we will know them when they appear. Didn't
      you say you were a believer? Didn't you say you pledged to listen
      to a voice greater? Didn't you ask for grace? Don't you remember
      that to be in grace means to submit to the voice greater?...

      Understand the paradox: If you study the physics of a waterspout,
      you will see that the outer vortex whirls far more quickly than the
      inner one. To calm the storm means to quiet the outer layer, to
      cause it to swirl much less, to more evenly match the velocity of the
      inner core - till whatever has been lifted into such a vicious
      funnel falls back to Earth, lays down, is peaceable again. One of the
      most
      important steps you can take to help calm the storm is to not allow
      yourself to be taken in a flurry of overwrought emotion or
      desperation thereby accidentally contributing to the swale and the
      swirl.

      Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world all at once, but of
      stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our
      reach. Any small, calm thing that one soul can do to help another
      soul, to
      assist some portion of this poor suffering world, will help
      immensely. It is not given to us to know which acts or by whom,
      will cause the critical mass to tip toward an enduring good. What
      is needed for dramatic change is an accumulation of acts, adding,
      adding to, adding more, continuing. We know that it does not take
      "everyone on Earth" to bring justice and peace, but only a small,
      determined group who will not give up during the first, second, or
      hundredth gale.

      One of the most calming and powerful actions you can do to intervene
      in a stormy world is to stand up and show your soul. Soul on
      deck shines like gold in dark times. The light of the soul throws
      sparks, can send up flares, builds signal fires, causes proper
      matters to catch fire. To display the lantern of soul in shadowy
      times like
      these -- to be fierce and to show mercy toward others, both, are
      acts of immense bravery and greatest necessity. Struggling souls
      catch light from other souls who are fully lit and willing to show
      it. If you would help to calm the tumult, this is one of the
      strongest
      things you can do.

      There will always be times when you feel discouraged. I too have
      felt despair many times in my life, but I do not keep a chair for it;
      will not entertain it. It is not allowed to eat from my plate. The
      reason is this: In my uttermost bones I know something, as do you.
      It is that there can be no despair when you remember why you came to
      Earth, who you serve, and who sent you here. The good
      words we say and the good deeds we do are not ours: They are the
      words and deeds of the One who brought us here. In that spirit, I
      hope you will write this on your wall: When a great ship is in
      harbor and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not
      what great ships are built for.

      This comes with much love and prayer that you remember who you came
      from, and why you came to this beautiful, needful Earth.

      -Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Author, Women Who Run With the Wolves