Re: [anthroposophy] Owen Barfield's SAVING THE APPEARANCES

  • Joel A. Wendt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2000
      Dear Barfield fans,

      Just a small note: While doing a search on Valentin Tomberg I came across
      a website listing the 100 most significant spiritual books of the 20th century
      (the last 100 years). Some committee of publishers and critics conversant
      with the field put it together. No Steiner books. Did have Tomberg's
      Meditations... Also the usual, such as A Road Less Traveled. And, lo and
      behold, Barfield's Saving the Appearences.

      warm regards,
      joel

      Jo Ann Schwartz wrote:

      > > 4) Owen Barfield's SAVING THE APPEARANCES.
      > >
      > > The "problem" is that in all my moving, I have somehow lost my copy of
      > > SAVING THE APPEARANCES. Does anyone know this work? Is it still in
      > > print?
      >
      > Hi Elaine--
      >
      > Haven't read this book, although it's 'on my list'... It is still in
      > print, so you could order it through your local bookstore or online. (If
      > you're ordering online, you might consider going to Barnes & Noble through
      > the link at Frank Thomas Smith's Southern Cross Review website:
      >
      > http://www.southerncrossreview.org/
      >
      > SCR is a wonderful and diverse web-zine in English and Spanish whose
      > authors do not even receive 'contributors copies' in payment... although
      > Frank would like to change that when he is able.)
      >
      > Warmly,
      > JoAnn

      > http://im.yahoo.com

    • elaine upton
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2000
        Dear JoAnn, and all,

        Thanks JoAnn, for the reference to the SOUTHERN CROSS REVIEW, and to a
        place where i may order that book i have been missing for so long
        now--namely, Owen Barfield's SAVING THE APPEARANCES.

        Now, i want to say more about this gem to which JoAnn has pointed me on the
        web, THE SOUTHERN CROSS REVIEW. Wonderful! What a great idea for a review
        journal, and what wonderful topics. I have not yet read all the reviews, but
        I am reading Jo Ann's review of a book by Lewis Hyde, THE GIFT: IMAGINATION
        AND THE EROTIC LIFE OF PROPERTY. This book, we are told, makes a distinction
        between the exchanges that go on in the market economy(logos=logic, reason)
        and what the author, Hyde, calls "erotic commerce" (eros=attraction, union,
        involvement, that which binds us together).

        Did i say that right, JoAnn? If not, please correct me.

        I hope you don't mind, JoAnn, but i am itching to quote your wonderful
        review. So here goes (from the review in SOUTHERN CROSS):

        "Hyde is deeply interested in the transformative gift; the gift that changes
        us profoundly, often received in the form of psychological healing or
        spiritual teachings. An important aspect of a transformative gift is that
        the transformation is not instantaneous; it requires the recipient to
        undertake some extensive and often difficult inner work in order to effect
        the transformation completely. What motivates us to undertake this labor? In
        general, it is a feeling of love and gratitude toward our teacher or
        therapist.

        "This can lead to problems in today's market economy, where healing and
        teaching are frequently sold rather than freely given. after all, even a
        gifted teacher, therapist, or spiritual guide must eat! It is nonetheless
        possible for an element of the gift economy to circulate above the cash. I
        recall some young parents at our Waldorf school who, although barely
        scraping by themselves, managed to come up each year with the full tuition
        for their child. When asked why they did not apply for financila aid, for
        which they certainly qualified, they looked surprised and said, 'The tuition
        is our gift to the teachers for what they are giving our child. If we could
        afford more, we would certainly give it.'

        "As an extreme example of the oppostie approach, the author mentions the
        Church of Scientology, which in 1979 (when Hyde's book was published) had a
        minimum initial 'donation' of $2,700 for a twelve-and-a-half [hour? week?]
        intensive course. This kind of exaggerated cost tends to cutt off the forces
        of love and gratitude necessary for true transformation."

        Another snippet from Hyde (Jo Ann quotes him here):
        "The point is that a conversion, in the general sense, cannot be settled on
        ahead of time. wE can't predict the fruits of our labor...To sell a
        transformative gift therefore falsifies the relationship; it implies that
        the return gift has been made when in fact it can't be made until the
        transformation is finished. A prepaid fee suspends the weight of the gift
        and de-potentiates it as an agent of change. Therapies and spiritual systems
        delivered through the market will therefore tend to draw the energy required
        for conversion from an aversion to pain rather than from an attarction to a
        higher state."

        Well, dear ones, i find this powerful stuff. I have quoted only a bit of
        JoAnn and only a little bitty bit of the book. I hope you will read the rest
        of JoAnn's review.

        Thanks, JoAnn, for the gift you give!
        elaine

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
          Yes, I know this book. It was the book that I first read back in my
          High School days and the one that first got me into Steiner because
          he is in the footnotes of the book. I've read it about three times
          now and every time I learn more from it. I lost it once, but one day
          I ran into for a quarter on a library table, so I took it as karma
          and decided to read it again. And from there, I decided to write up
          a thesis project on Steiner. So, yes, definately read this book for
          a clear understanding of the historical development of consciousness
          in the western part of the world.

          Wayne Fischer