A new Superpower

  • ashley_soren
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2003
      What has the world been doing for 12 years ??? I feel bad about it ...
      somehow I knew that the last Gulf War ended leaving the iraqi people
      on their own, sanctioned by the rest of the world to the mercy of
      Saddam ..... but it is often like that, facing the consequences I
      realise that there has been thougths and feelings, but no outer
      trigger setting of my will ... and essentially I more and more feel,
      that when confronted with terrible events in the outer world, I must
      as much go inward and see my lack of turning good will into real
      action, as I still see the actions of others will in the events. The
      more we can turn the good will into real actions - the less space the
      one's with bad will get for playing around with our lives, minds aso....

      To late I realise that the UN could have done something quite
      different for 12 years .... but it is not too late....

      Published on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 by the Guardian/UK Independent
      Iraqis Oppose Bush's War
      Not every group takes US cash. Some worry about their people by
      Jonathan Steele
      A new myth has emerged in the pro-war camp's propaganda
      arsenal. Iraqi exiles support the war, they claim, and none
      took part in last month's march through central London. So
      if the peaceniks and leftwingers who joined the protest had
      the honesty to listen to the true voice of the Iraqi people
      they would never denounce Bush's plans for war again.
      Wrong, and wrong. A large number of Iraqis were among the
      million-member throng, including two key independent
      political groups. They carried banners denouncing Saddam
      Hussein (thereby echoing the sentiments of many non-Iraqis
      since this was not a protest by pro-Saddam patsies, as the
      pro-war people also falsely claim). They represented
      important currents in the Iraqi opposition, and ones whom
      the Americans have repeatedly tried to persuade to join the
      exiles' liaison committee.
      "No way," says Dr Haider Abas, London spokesman of Da'wa,
      Iraq's moderate Islamic party. "When we met Zalmay Khalilzad
      (the US special envoy for Iraq) we told him we didn't want
      to give a cover to US military operations. It's not our
      role. We won't be respected by our people."
      His party has other reservations. It fears the US will
      retain control of Iraq long after Saddam is toppled and will
      not hand power to Iraqis for months to come - and then only
      to its placemen. Da'wa also doubts US plans for ethnically
      based federalism, arguing that this will create the risk of
      Balkan-style discrimination and pogroms, when the reality of
      Iraq is that every major city is culturally mixed. Sunnis,
      Shiites, Kurds and Arabs are found everywhere.
      Saddam's repression cost Da'wa thousands of its members over
      the past two decades. It argued for human rights in Iraq
      long before Washington and London stopped backing Saddam and
      took up the cause - another reason why it distrusts US
      motives. Dr Abas says there is a paradox in that while his
      party opposes the war he believes many Iraqis inside the
      country have become so desperate that they may support it.
      His argument reflects the psychological dilemma which keeps
      Iraqis awake at night. "People in hell think nothing can be
      worse. They just want to end it. But we see the bigger
      picture as well as fearing it will lead to death and
      destruction for our families at home. We have two problems
      with the United States. First, its track record. In 1991,
      when the aim was simply to get Saddam out of Kuwait, they
      destroyed the infrastructure of the country. People couldn't
      understand why they bombed power stations and bridges all
      over Iraq."
      His other doubt is over US intentions. One camp in
      Washington, he feels, wants to rebuild Iraq. The other wants
      to keep it undemocratic by only removing Saddam and his
      closest colleagues. "We don't know which camp will win," he
      says. In the meantime, any Iraqi group which ties its flag
      to a foreign invader's mast without any guarantee of its
      postwar intentions loses its patriotic and democratic
      credentials.
      Salam Ali, another marcher and spokesman for the Iraqi
      Communist party, has similar criticisms. The ICP, the
      biggest party in Iraq before Saddam Hussein's regime came to
      power, also lost tens of thousands of its cadres when the
      Iraqi president turned against it. Its strength cannot be
      reliably assessed, but its Da'wa rivals concede it has
      widespread support among Iraqis of all classes. Ali has just
      returned from northern Iraq where his party's central
      committee was meeting. They turned down yet another US
      invitation to come out in support of the looming war and
      join the coordinating committee to work with Iraq's postwar
      US governor. "We reject the war on principled and moral
      grounds as well as being the worst and most destructive
      alternative," the party said.
      The ICP supports the approach taken by France and Germany
      but says it should be integrated into a broader framework
      for restoring democratic rights in Iraq in line with earlier
      UN security council resolutions. These are no less important
      than the recent resolution, 1441, which concentrates on
      disarmament and ignores human rights. The party calls for a
      genuinely independent conference of the opposition groups.
      Like Da'wa, the ICP opposes the economic sanctions on Iraq
      which the United States and Britain continue to back in
      spite of the hardship they have caused to ordinary Iraqis
      but not the regime. "We want sanctions lifted and replaced
      by an effective UN mechanism for controlling Iraq's oil
      revenue for the benefit of people. We said the Oil for Food
      program would strengthen Saddam's hand," says Salam Ali.
      "Sanctions have crushed people and weakened their will to
      resist. If they are lifted, people can start living and
      thinking politics again."
      Most parties on the opposition committee set up under
      Khalilzad's pressure last week are paid by the US
      government. Da'wa and the ICP have not succumbed. Pro-war
      pundits who claim to know the views of Iraqi exiles should
      check they are not listening to opinions made in Washington."

      There we have the reason Saddam was allowed to stay in power in 1991 -
      and the sanctions was of course aimed at weakening these two groups,
      the main "evils" the communists in the Reagan-Bush-Thatcher axis - and
      Da'wa being shiite made associations to the other main "evil", Iran &
      Islam .... though Da'wa isn't at all extremist political islamist ...
      (Iran is exceptional - and al-Quaida more logical political islam (as
      Sunna) - Shia regarded the spiritual Imam higher than the political
      Khalif - and tend to seperate spiritual authorithy from political
      authorithy .. they also tend to be less orthodox than Sunna )
      So the sanctions crushed the iraqi civil society, and now is the time
      to say they aren't capable of running Iraq, when Saddam go, and the
      west can go in and control it all .... It is very, very, very sick
      minds that aspire political power.. at least they become that ... lots
      of threefold healing and strong civil society needed...
      Hehe just read a good one ... After Soviet's gone we thought there was
      only one superpower, but it turns out there is two, the US-UK Ruling
      Elite and the Worlds Public Opinion :-) (the latter including LOTS and
      LOTS of americans)

      However the governments of Germany, France, Russia and China get too
      easy of the hook here - Let's put preassure on them to abandon the
      sanction politics and adapt a wide range of UN initiatives in line
      with the suggestions in the article above ... continued arms
      inspections, use of oilrevenue funds for direct humanitarian work
      among the iraqi people ( now the food-for-oil project is administrated
      by the iraqi regime, not unbiased humanitarian organisations) .....

      Let's not just be opinion, and focus too much on the need for
      hindrances to go away before another world is possible .. no by
      realising that other world AS possible, the hindrances will loose
      power - It's time for the true superpower to be the sole superpower,
      the power of free individuals cooperating voluntarily in brotherhood
      and with true respect for the saying "created as equals" ---- a
      christ-for-all-life impulse, not a christianity-crusading- death
      impulse. That's the real big battle on earth !!

      LOVE Sören