Women's day

  • ashley_soren
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2003
      As the focus have moved to Iraq, let us not forget Afghanistan
      To show solidarity by opposing war is one thing; but there is still
      opression and hardship, both in Iraq under Saddam Husssein's regime,
      and still in Afghanistan, even though the Talibans left power,
      different warlords are still fighting and bombings still occur, the
      interimgovernment don't have the means to build up the country, and
      the ones suffering most, as they have for 30 years in a country thorn
      between different strategic games of power, is womwn and children.
      On the international womens day 8 march I plea for support to the
      afghanis women's association RAWA .... :

      "As a feminist organization struggling for freedom, democracy and
      women's rights with a clear anti-fundamentalist stand, RAWA has been
      deprived of support from governments, UN or NGOs working for
      Afghanistan. We are mainly relied on individual donations that we
      receive from our supporters around the world. The membership fee of
      our members and supporters in and outside Afghanistan is another
      source of our finances. We also generate some from the sale of carpets
      and other traditional handicrafts products of our workplaces. Our
      publications, cassettes and posters also contribute to our thin
      resources however we are finding it difficult to match with our ever
      increasing needs. That is why we have not been able to publish our
      journal regularly. Other activities of RAWA, such as holding seminars
      and conferences, staging demonstrations and undertaking lobbying for
      our rights have been severely hampered. We feel that the intensity and
      impact of Afghan womens activism for the cause of democracy, and
      against fundamentalism, would have been much wider and more tangible
      if we were not in financial dire straits."

      http://rawa.false.net/help.htm
      http://rawa.false.net/donation.htm