The Ides of March

  • Bradford Riley
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2003
      God of War and Death Coming Close to our Blue Planet Earth in 2003

      At 5:51 a.m. EDT on Aug. 27, 2003, Mars will be within 34,646,488 miles (55,746,199 kilometers) of Earth. This will be the closest that Mars has come to our planet in about 73,000 years, based on detailed computations by Jean Meeus of Belgium

      The month of March was named after him.

      Mars, unlike his Greek counterpart, Ares, was more widely worshipped than any of the other Roman gods, probably because his sons Romulus and Remus were said to have founded Rome; the Romans called themselves sons of Mars. As the consort of Rhea Sylvia and father of Romulus and Remus, Mars was considered the father of the Roman people.

      Bradford comments:

      The Face of Mars has changed to the Face of the Great Buddha, who looks down from Mars now. We are looking at the profound changes in the world due to Buddha, Zarathustra and Christ. Global consciousness grasps something different in the approach of Mars now. Who can forget the Ides of
      March, that significant moment when the Roman Empire and our current Roman Empire, The U.S... pivoted on the Ides of March.

      Beware the Ides of March!

      "Said of a warning or impending misfortune and made popular in William Shakespearse's play Julius Caesar. A soothsayer tells Caesar who is already on his way to the Senate (and his death), "Beware the ides of March." Caesar replies, "He is a dreamer, let us leave him. Pass." The Roman ruler, Julius Caesar, was assassinated on the Ides of March - March 15, 44 B.C.E.

      According to Plutarch's account of the story written in 75 A.C.E, the unidentified soothsayer was a Roman astrologer by the name of Spurinna. It was reportedly sometime prior to the fateful day of March 15 that Spurinna had first given Caesar the famous warning to "beware of the Ides of March." The astrologer, Spurinna, had previously warned Caesar that on the Ides of March, he would be in great danger. If, however, Julius Caesar took care on that one day - then all would be well.

      According to Plutarch, Caesar had previously made the wise decision to stay within the safety of his bedroom chambers on the 15th of March. However, Caesar's "friend" Decimus (Albinus) Brutus (not Marcus Brutus) managed to convince him that the astrologer's warnings were nothing more than superstitious foolishness. So Julius Caesar decided to attend the Senate on the 15th of March. On his way to the Senate, Caesar "accidentally" met up with the astrologer, Spurinna. Caesar then told the astrologer "The Ides of March are come." Spurinna answered, "Yes, they are come, but they are not past." Later that day - on March 15, 44 B.C.E - Caesar's enemies assassinated him in the Pompey theater, at the foot of Pompey's statue, where the Roman Senate was meeting that day in the temple of Venus.

      Et tu Brute
      "Thou, too, Brutus!"  Julius Caesar's exclamation when he saw that his old friend, Marcus Brutus (85-42 BC), was one of his assassins.  "Does my old friend raise his hand against me?"

      What Are the Ides?
      In the ancient Roman calendar, each of the 12 months had an "ides." In March, May, July and October, the ides fell on the 15th day. In every other month, the ides fell on the 13th. The day always fell eight days after the Nones. The word "ides" was derived from the Latin "to divide." The ides were originally meant to mark the full moon - but since the solar calendar months and lunar months were of different lengths, the ides quickly lost their original intent and purpose."

      Bradford comments;

      The number of stab wounds in Caesar were estimated between 23 and 33 wounds and the Speech of Marc Antony comes to mind regarding all these current Political fools. But beyond the idea of actually Impreaching George Bush for foolhardiness and risking America we should consider the incredible efforts of thinking that have gone into this enormous approach from Mars into the psyche of Mankind. We are dominated by the Psyche of Old Mars thoughts in the War Machine of Mankind and New Mars thoughts as per my essay on Thoreau and Buddha's Steering of the Mars forces in the Devachan. We see just how deeply the approach of Mars is stirring up events. It is here where we should be bigger, bigger souls and say, look we got this guy Saddam fenced in. If he sneezes we will know about it. But that means we are bigger souls to say, now we won't strike even though the Bush Presidency is tilting on it. Who do we follow Buddha or Bush?

      Xena as well?

      "Caesar awakens to find Callisto in his room and she has a proposition for him. At Callisto's request, Caesar places a huge price on Xena's head. Hearing of this, Xena decides to go to Rome and settle her feud with Caesar by killing him. She leaves Gabrielle and Amarice (Jennifer Sky) behind in fear of the visions she has had of her and Gabrielle being crucified in Rome. As Xena pursues her destiny, Gabrielle and Amarice visit Eli (Tim Omundson), who is teaching his peaceful ways in Greece. However, all three are captured by Brutus (David Franklin) and taken to Rome. Brutus expresses his dislike for arresting Gabrielle, but promises her that no harm will come to her. He tells her that Caesar needs her to insure that Xena will not kill him.

      When Xena arrives in Rome and makes an attempt on Caesar's life, she is surprised to find Callisto. Callisto tells Xena that Caesar is about to declare himself emperor, and that Gabrielle is in Roman hands. Xena tracks down Brutus and warns him that on the Ides of March, Caesar will drop any pretence of wanting to establish a democracy and will "remove" anyone that stands in his way. She tells him that Caesar will transfer him to Gaul, and then arrange for his death. Brutus does not believe her, but he tells Xena where she can find Gabrielle.

      Callisto knows of Xena's fateful visions and offers her the chance to ensure that they do not come true. In order to avoid her death, Xena must stop her warrior ways and become a messenger of peace. Xena refuses her offer and rides on. Meanwhile, Brutus is troubled by Caesar's plan to execute Gabrielle, in spite of his former promise that she would be safe. When Caesar offers him command of Gaul, Brutus realizes that Xena's predictions about Caesar appear to be coming true.

      Xena helps Gabrielle and their friends break out of prison, but as they escape, Callisto throws the chakram into Xena's back, shattering her spine and breaking the weapon in two. Xena falls and Gabrielle turns back to help her. To protect her friend, Gabrielle strays from the path of nonviolence and fights valiantly, but both are captured. As Xena and Gabrielle make their peace with each other, Brutus plots with the other Senators to kill the power-hungry Caesar. Brutus and the senate succeed in assassinating Caeser, and Xena and Gabrielle are crucified. Callisto's mission is a failure and she is summoned back by her master. As Xena and Gabrielle's spirits rise heavenward, Eli comforts a grieving Amarice"