12 gemstones of apocalypse

  • spiritual_human49 <ranger@ofir.dk>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2003
      Hi

      I do know some of them (carnelian, Jasper and amethyste) but what are
      the others?
      And if anyone knows what Zodiac sign they belong to

      Love

      Martin
    • 888 <fireofthe12@yahoo.com.au>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2003
        Dear Martin,
        > I do know some of them (carnelian, Jasper and amethyste) but what
        are
        > the others?

        I did post something on this earlier:

        I thought that the rest of the article was on spiritualscience but I
        can't find it. I see if I can find it and post it.

        Welcome to the group,
        Bruce
      • 888 <fireofthe12@yahoo.com.au>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2003
          Here is the rest of the article:
          -Bruce

          THE TWELVE GEMSTONES OF THE APOCALYPSE
          The great vision in the twelfth chapter of the Book of Revelation
          where the woman appears clothed with the sun, with the moon under her
          feet and a crown of twelve stars upon her head, is a prelude of a
          coming event: the celestial Jerusalem descending from heaven. The New
          Jerusalem consists of gold ("clothed with the sun"), each of its
          entrances is made out of one pearl ("the moon under her feet"), its
          surrounding wall rest on 12 foundation stones adorned with the
          twelve gemstones ("a crown of twelve stars upon her head").

          The correlation between stars and gemstones is an indication of the
          high spiritual level we are confronted with when dealing with
          gemstones. It is the level which may appear before our inner eye when
          we look at the essential differences between human beings, animals,
          plants and rocks. The human being has its ego on earth. In animals we
          may observe a wisdom far greater than ours, but there is a complete
          lack of personal responsibility: the ego of the animals, their wise
          group soul, is in the astral world. In the plants we have before us
          pure life forces, gently touched by astrality in the flowering
          processes. The astral body of the plants is in the astral world. The
          plants' ego is in a still higher world, the lower Devachan. Finally,
          in the crystal we may have the feeling that a shade of life processes
          is around it at the moment of crystallisation. The etheric part of
          the crystals is in the astral word, the astral "body" in the lower
          Devachan, the ego in the higher Devachan.

          The feeling that the physical appearance of crystals is connected
          with spiritual beings of a very high level, may account for the
          magical attraction which gemstones have had throughout human history.
          Modern spiritual approach should bear this in mind.

          Jasper, the first of the twelve gemstones, consists mainly of silicic
          acid. In fact, the whole circle of apocalyptic gemstones is,
          chemically, composed either of silicic acid or silicates, i.e.
          combinations of silicic acid. What is the character of silicic acid?
          It is the main component (60%) of the earth's rocks, especially of
          the continents. That means that it provides, unselfishly, the
          foundation on which we stand, walk and live. On the other hand the
          purest form of silicic acid, rock-crystal, is of such a high
          transparency that even ultra-violet rays pass through. In the
          technical sense, mankind has learnt to use this unselfish
          transparency of silicic acid to produce glass from quartz sands. It
          is significant that unselfishness is the basic feature of the twelve
          gemstones. In jasper the pure silicic acid is coloured by extremely
          fine grained particles of iron oxide. Iron is the bearer of the ego
          force in human blood, oxygen is the life substance. It might be
          concluded that in jasper we have that kind of unselfishness which is
          permeated with and borne by ego-force, the kind of unselfishness
          which is found in the life and work of the greatest artists. It is
          the unwavering condition of creative work. Strikingly, jasper is one
          of the two gemstones which characterise the highest divine being in
          chapter four of the apocalypse: "A throne stood there in heaven and
          one who sat on the throne. His appearance blazed like jasper and
          carnelian. And a rainbow shining like emerald encircled the throne."
          Jasper is totally opaque. In the circle of the twelve gemstones there
          are six opaque, or nearly untransparent, and six totally translucent
          rocks, the opaque always facing a translucent one. The translucent
          gemstones are, in a sense are more connected with thinking, the
          opaque with the forces of the will. Each two opposite gemstones are,
          in a sense, complementary in their qualities. Between the two may
          arise for our inner eye a congenial quality which is connected with
          realm of feeling.
          Chrysolite, opposite to jasper, is the seventh gemstone of the
          apocalyptic circle. Jewellers call it peridot. It has a high
          transparency and a beautiful golden green colour. According to a
          jeweller's book on gems (Mab Wilson) " there is no blue in the green,
          even in the darkest version of itself. Place it in the shade and it
          still remains sun-touched".
          Chemically it is an iron magnesium silicate. Where do we find the
          combination of iron and magnesium playing a major role in nature? In
          chlorophyll, the green substance of the leaves in which the sun
          produces oxygen out of carbon dioxide.

          Evidently, this gemstone has a close relation to sun, to light in
          general. Magnesium fact is an element with an enormous light
          potential. We experience the relation, as indicated by Rudolf
          Steiner, between chrysolite and the sense of sight.
          The qualities of jasper and chrysolite are clearly complementary.
          Unbiased sensorial obversation is in urgent need of ego-conscious
          unselfishness, the result in between the two poles being the way to
          truth.

          Lapis Lazuli takes the second place in the ring of gemstones. In the
          text of the Apocalypse it is called sapphire, but there are some good
          reasons to surmise that in the old days lapis lazuli was called
          sapphire whereas the gemstone to which now the name of sapphire is
          applied, was still relatively unknown in the Mediterranean area of
          that time. The first reason in fact is that Roman and Greek authors
          of the first centuries A.D. describe sapphire as heavenly blue with
          gold specks. That is an exact characterization of lapis lazuli and
          has nothing to do with what we now call sapphire. The second reason
          is that sapphire in the present sense would be the only gemstone in
          the ring which is not a silicate or a form of silicic acid. Finally,
          if we introduce normal sapphire in the circle, it would present an
          exception to the general order in which there is always a totally
          transparent gemstone facing an opaque or hardly translucent one.
          The most conspicuous property of lapis lazuli indeed is the heavenly
          blue colour with the golden specks of very small pyrite crystals,
          often compared with the blue sky and golden stars. It is the kind of
          blue which expresses devotion, that form of reverence which goes deep
          into the will forces. True and pure devotion should be rooted in
          firm ground and should be borne by ego force. Both these aspects
          appear in lapis lazuli. In its very complicated chemical composition
          normal salt plays a part, and on the other hand we find in the golden
          pyrite an expression of the ego force of iron which has conquered the
          sulphur process, a true Michaelic impulse.

          Beryl, facing lapis lazuli in the ring, is really in many ways is
          opposite. It is a very hard (harder than quartz), totally
          transparent, hexagonal columnar crystal with often a greenish hue
          which however disappears when the crystal is heated. Chemically it is
          a beryllium aluminium silicate. Beryllium is one of the most
          resistant elements. It plays a major role in nuclear power plants.
          Beryl's hardness and transparency, its upright columnar form (in
          North America crystals of more than meters have been found), its
          sunlike hexagonal symmetry, give a beautiful image of high
          intelligence. In the story of the Holy Grail (the ancestor of the
          Grail family is called Beryllus) we are told that devil cannot stay
          for even a moment if this stone is present: there is nothing
          adversary forces fear more than being seen through.

          The very diverse qualities of lapis lazuli and beryl are highly in
          need of each other in human life. Devotion in the will forces should
          be guided by clear, high intelligence. On the other hand,
          intelligence badly needs devotion. And what is between the two
          extremes? It is the right way, that way which is called righteousness
          in the Bible. In fact, it is the way of inner development as
          described in Steiner's book "Knowledge of the Higher Worlds":
          starting with the path of devotion and reverence and leading to the
          highest levels of knowledge.

          Chalcedony, the third stone of the circle, is essentially pure
          silicic acid. Typical for chalcedony is its structure. It is an
          extremely fine structure consisting of fibre-like crystals with in
          between some disseminated opal-silica. The total aspect of this often
          bluish gemstone is of an embracing gesture. This, in fact, is the
          essence of chalcedony: it represents the embracing power of the soul,
          an embracing power which is unselfish (silic acid), which is filled
          with soul power (opal is the gemstone of the soul) and which is not
          exclusive on the will side (chalcedony is not totally opaque like
          jasper).

          Topaz, the opposite of chalcedony, has a high transparency, is hard
          and appears in a great variety of colours. "So rich and warm is its
          golden tone one hesitates to call it a pastel" ( Mab Wilson). Topaz
          is a fluor aluminium silicate. Fluor is one of the fiercest elements,
          aluminium is next to silicon, the most common element in the Earth's
          crust. It is the essential component of clays and clayey material.
          In topaz we may recognise the colourful, immensely variable world of
          mankind's ideas. There is a connection between idea and taste. There
          are as many diverse and divergent tastes as there are ideas.
          Certainly, one cannot act tastefully in life, if one has no ideas.
          Rudolf Steiner indicates that there is a connection between topaz and
          the sense of taste.

          The relationship between topaz and chalcedony is, again, quite
          obvious. What are ideas more in need of than being furthered and
          protected by the enveloping qualities of our soul forces? It is only
          by these forces that they can grow and develop. And in the human
          breast, the realm of our feeling capacities, peace may arise, that
          kind of peace which is an active and productive force and not only
          the absence of conflict.

          Emerald, the fourth gemstone, is essentially beryl. Why does it take
          such an outstanding place among the gemstones if it is in fact only a
          beryl? Because of its colour! Emerald green is a colour in itself,
          and emerald will not change its colour even by considerable heating.
          This colour is due to the presence of extremely fine disseminated
          chromium. Chromium, the highest superlative of iron.

          If we think of the high intelligence represented by beryl and the
          highest ego force represented by chromium, we easily see why emerald
          may be called the gemstone of the Christ.

          In the already quoted passage (see jasper) of Apocalypse chapter 4
          the throne is encircled by a rainbow of emerald. Seemingly a
          contradiction in itself because a rainbow contains all colours
          whereas the green of the emerald is one unique colour. From a
          spiritual point of view this is not a contradiction: The highest ego
          which of course is unique, comprehends the total number of human egos
          in all their individual colours.

          Chrysoprase, opposite, but really very much opposite emerald, is a
          totally opaque gemstone, in fact a chalcedony beautifully green
          coloured by finely disseminated nickel oxide. It has a green colour
          in which blue is clearly present, the kind of green which arises from
          the dark and is underway to the light. Nickel is the metal which
          makes iron tough. Both the colour and the peculiar character of
          nickel characterize man's endeavour to go the way of inner
          development.

          It is interesting to note that chrysoprase in a gemstone quality was,
          until recently only found in Saxony, in the middle of Europe
          (together with bright red jasper and amethyst it is found in the
          gemstone clad chapels which Charles IV of Bohemia had built in Prague
          and in his castle Karlstein in the middle of the fourteenth century).
          In the last decades however chrysoprase of high quality has been
          found and successfully mined in Queensland.

          The relation between chrysoprase and emerald is obvious. The way to
          higher development is necessarily the way to the higher ego, that is
          to Christ. On this way arises the true faith, that means the faith in
          ourselves, in our higher ego, in Christ.

          Sardonyx, the fifth gemstone, consists of very fine-banded layers of
          white chalcedony and red carnelian. Already from Roman times, both
          sardonyx and the quite similar agate-jasper were the famous material
          from which cameos were cut using the red layer as foundation and
          sculpturing the portrait in the white chalcedony layer, or vice
          versa. In really typical sardonyx there is such an extremely fine-
          banded sequence that we are reminded of the phenomenon of sound
          vibration made visible in stone.

          In fact, our listening is a sequence of lively attention and silent
          concentration in our soul. It becomes clear why Rudolf Steiner
          indicated that sardonyx is related with the sense of hearing, and is
          at the same time the gemstone of inspiration.

          Hyacinth, facing sardonyx in the ring of the twelve gemstones, is a
          marvellous fiery red, totally transparent stone. In chemical terms it
          is zirconium silicate. Zirconium is an element with an enormous light
          capacity. In the previous century zirconium light was used in the
          same way as magnesium light. At the same time, zirconium is an
          element with great resistance (it is used in nuclear plants) and a
          good transparency: it is the raw material for production of enamel.
          Evidently hyacinth has a relation to light, but in a totally
          different way than chrysolite. The latter is more connected with sun-
          processes, the former has the light in itself, even to the extent to
          produce some radioactive radiation.

          The capacity to produce light from inner sources may in a way be
          considered as an image of the capacity of imagination.
          The relation between sardonyx as the gemstone of inspiration and
          hyacinth as the gemstone of imagination is of course clear, also in
          the sense that imagination (the transparent hyacinth) has a closer
          connection to our thinking, and inspiration (the practically
          untransparent sardony) is distinctly linked to the forces of the
          will. The way which leads to imagination and from imagination to
          inspiration is the way which makes our one-sided view of the world
          whole again. Between hyacinth and sardony there is the way of
          wholesomeness. The Bible uses the word "soteria", translated by
          salvation.

          by Simon van der Heide Haarlem, Holland
        • danifyou@tv.videotron.ca
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2003
            GEM in itself,

            Crystal-Clear-Quality pal!

            Thanks Bruce,
            I'm saving that,
            Have no doubt about it

            Happy be/is the one who Receives such
            a Deva-Terra, Nova-Natura-Wise-Response!

            Blessed [are] the Lurkers benefiting from these types of Excellent-Answers!

            So the Invitation-mine now
            (Rejoicing at this)
            To Star-Divine-Shine
            As we Meet

            Here Below
            The Above
            Damascus Pauline

            Aero-Wings of the Heart
            Together with Cherubims,
            With Seraphims.
            Let us go and make it so.

            To the LIVING Christ and Sophia,
            Lift Up-WILL-Wake Up,

            Beyond the Silica Glove,
            Outside the LIMITED BOX!

            Danny

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2003
              Thanks that helped alot Bruce! :)

              --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "888 <fireofthe12@y...>"

            • elaineupton2001 <elaineupton@hotmail.com>
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 26, 2003
                Marvelous article (from Simon van der Heide Harleem--Simon from the
                heather...), Bruce, and marvelous question "spiritual-human49" (what
                is your other name?--smile).

                Below are my notes on 1) The star-gem images of La Nuestra Senora de
                Guadelupe, and 2) notes on silicon, and 3) notes on lapis lazuli,
                etc. and Afghanistan...

                Now, some of this speaks directly to the prevalent image of La
                Nuestra Senora de Guadelupe here in New Mexico and down in Mexico!
                The gemstones and relationship to the stars, the moon under her
                feet, although there is also an angel under her feet. This image
                lives here everywhere and is powerful in people's lives, in many
                ways, one of them being as the sign of the miracle that lives among
                us, that is always appearing, and as a reminder--to me--of a very
                Rosicrucian reality, the cross covered with Roses (because La Senora
                makes roses appear...even in winter...).

                On another note: the part about the stones consisting of silicic acid
                is interesting. The relationship to rock-crystal and the crystal of
                computers, of America's computer industrial area (known as Silicon
                Valley, in California, not far from where you find Mr. Microsoft Bill
                Gates, up in Seattle), and the whole use of communication is very
                interesting. Stones as channelers or communicators of energies, is,
                of course, a big topic, and how is this related to the Apocalypse?

                Note also, Lapis lazuli is the second of the apocalyptic stones
                (sapphire, its called here), and that is something that is deep in
                the earth history of Afghanistan, a place the U.S. has been at war
                with, and a place of warring factions for many devastating years!
                This is the stone of the "heavenly blue" color, and just think of the
                piercing light of Afghanistan. And what are we attempting to kill or
                control there? Ego force that wants to emerge?

                Ok, BEryl, the stone of will forces, says the article, and lapis
                lazuli need each other. But in what is happening in Afghanistan, are
                these forces warring instead of working together? If so, what an
                opportunity to change from war to the work (difficult work) of
                cooperation and harmony and "knowledge of the higher worlds."

                Blessings,
                elaine

                Blessings,