What's right w/America? – Hitchens Is

  • lightsearcher1 <lightsearcher1@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2003
      Hitchens vs. The Campus Left
      by Genesio Zenone

      FrontPageMagazine.com | February 4, 2003

      Journalist and author, Christopher Hitchens
      was invited to Berkeley to give a talk at the
      Mario Savio lecture series. Hitchens is a
      pleasure to watch because he is consistently
      witty, provocative, and intelligent.

      His erudition and logical prowess make up a
      rhetorical arsenal that few can match. Arguing
      with him can be like stubbing your toe on the
      entire western canon.

      Lately, there has been another reason
      to watch him.

      He is almost always visited upon by radical
      lefties that show up for the express purpose
      of antagonizing in the only manner their
      wherewithal will allow.

      They are confrontational, inarticulate, and
      generally obnoxious.

      [see mid-portion of article via URL below]

      Many among the left cannot see that a wholly
      new situation has risen.

      They insist on translating this fresh, challenging
      information back into the familiar language they
      already know, of empire, and oil.

      What is noticed more than anything else is
      the overwhelming monolithic and predictable
      character of their position; everyone strikes
      the same subversive pose.

      Nowhere in this group can be found the
      philosophical calm, the objectivity

      and the intellectual self-monitoring that one
      would expect from a well-educated elite.

      And the sycophantic followers are worse!

      Their ideological miasma is a confused,
      haphazard, bitches-brew of platitudes, clichés
      and nonsense spewing in all directions.

      http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=5948