Soul-Calendar Week 45

  • DRStarman2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known ---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. Here is the whole Calendar as it was meant to be used.
          The mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 5  *
      Es festigt sich Gedankenmacht
      Im Bunde mit der Geistgeburt,
      Sie hellt der Sinne dumpfe Reize
      Zur vollen Klarheit auf.
      Wenn Seelenfülle
      Sich mit dem Weltenwerden einen will,
      Muss Sinnesoffenbarung
      Des Denkens Licht empfangen.

      Fast is Thinking's Might
      In Union with the Spirit-Birth,
      It brightens the senses' dim risings
      To full Clarity.
      When Soul-fulfillment
      With World-Becoming would become one,
      Must Senses' revelation
      Thinking's Light receive.

      This week's mantram:
          Last week, as we head towards spring when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens, stirrings of life in the wakening outer world combined with our wills as we continued to unfold the 'spirit-birth' acheived at Christmas. This week, the power of thinking unites with what was born in us at Christmas to make clear to us all of the early spring stirrings of new life in the external world. In order for the Soul's fullness of experience to unite with this "becoming" of Nature, we must unite our thinking to our perceptions.
          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  February 2nd. Moon Pisces.   Mary's Light-mass (Candlemas). Simeon (the old man. that according to the Evangelist recognized Jesus at his presentation in the Temple).

      Monday,  February 3rd. Moon Pisces.  Ansgarius (brought Christianity to the Swedes and Danes in the 9th century).

      Tuesday,  February 4th. Moon  Pisces.  Phileas (worker for Christianity in Egypt in the 4th century).

      Wednesday, February 5th. Moon Aries. Thomas Carlyle died 1881.

      Thursday,  February 6th. Moon Aries. 1807 Abolition of Slavery in England.

      Friday,  February 7th. Moon Taurus. 1446 Columbus born.

      Saturday,  February 8th. Moon Taurus.  Solomon, King of Israel. Leyden University founded 1575. David Friedrich Strauss died 1874.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 5 *
      Ich fühle wie verzaubert
      Im Weltenschein des Geistes Weben
      Es hat in Sinnesdumpfheit
      Gehüllt mein Eigenwesen,
      Zu schenken mir die Kraft
      Die, ohnmächtig sich selbst zu geben,
      Mein Ich in seinen Schranken ist.

      I feel how enchanted
      Into World-Shining is the Spirit's Weaving:
      It has in Senses' Dimness
      Enclosed my Self-Essence
      To give me the Power:
      That, powerless myself to give