R: [anthroposophy] does one need to be an anthroposophist to be an anthroposophist?

  • VALENTINA BRUNETTI
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      Dear Elaine and Jeff,
      and all on this thread

      Elaine posted also the question about the concept of "backward" in Spiritual
      Science.
      First of all either RS or his best followers never used such a concept in a
      depreciatory or racist way. Needless to say: who uses the concept in these
      ways is NOT an anthroposophist , whatever else he is able to put on the desk
      of the Anthroposophical discussions.
      The concept of "backward" in itself is a basic issue in the imagine of the
      Evolution as depicted by Steiner and his followers, linked in deep with
      several core concepts as "Good", "Evil" and so on. Those concepts got their
      source in the Spiritual research and must be grasped in such a framework: no
      need to be "believed" as a dogmatic issue.
      In the above said researches the concept of "backward" , either of
      Spiritual Beings or about cultural and political stream and ideas, is rooted
      in the basic fact of History: the Evolution is a fight of Gods fought
      mostly inside Mankind as battlefield, whereas Mankind is to be understood
      either in inner or in outer sense.
      Steiner gave insights about it all along his work: I believe "Leading
      Thoughts" as the best "Highway to run" in order to grasp, by the pictures
      of Michael-Ahriman struggle events, what's the real meaning of such a
      puzzling concept.
      I use the word "puzzling" since there are lots of risks in using a concept
      like this, first of all to become "easy judges" about cultural and spiritual
      streams of which we have only a partial experience or, secondly and in the
      opposite by refusing the concept .
      In this case we run the risk of "the night in which all the cows are grey"
      when we say that "every spiritual stream is on the same level" so ,in the
      end, here we just succeed in throwing off the child with the bath's water.
      Once more : it's a matter of balance like everything else in the "World of
      Antropos-Sophia".

      Andrea