Soul-Calendar, Week 44

  • DRStarman2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known ---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We present the whole Calendar here as it was meant to be used.
          The mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 4  *
      Ergriefend neue Sinnesreize
      Erfühlet Seelenklarheit,
      Eingedenk vollzogener Geistgeburt,
      Verwirren sprossend Weltenwerden
      Mit meines Denkens Schöpferwillen.

      Grasping new sense-arisings
      Fulfilling Soul-Clarity,
      Mindful of acheived Spirit-Birth,
      Entangling sprouting World-Becoming
      With my Thinking's Shaping-Will.

      This week's mantram:
          Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel how the inner spirit & soul, through the heart, gave to the mere appearance of the outer world a reality it otherwise would not have had. This week, we are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens: stirrings of life in the wakening outer world combine with our wills as we continue to unfold the 'spirit-birth' acheived at Christmas.

          (For those not familiar with the use of mantras:
           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from the English meaning to the actual German mantra. )

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  January 26th. Moon Sagittarius.  Polycarp (School of the Evangelist John, taken to Smyrna in old age and burned to death in the year 169).

      Monday,  January 27th. Moon Sagittarius.  John Chrysostom (Bishop to Constantinople, operated under Emperor Eudoxia, sharply censured him morally, burned 407). Mozart born 1756. Schelling born 1775. 1814 Fichte died. 1808 David Friedrich Strauss born.

      Tuesday,  January 28th. Moon Capricorn.  Day of Remembrance of Charlemagne (died 814).

      Wednesday, January 29th. Moon Capricorn. Constantine the Great (first Christian Roman Emperor, baptized shortly before his death in 312 A.D.). Theobald (advanced Christianity in England in the 13th century).

      Thursday,  January 30th. Moon Capricorn.   Alexander.

      Friday,  January 31st. Moon Aquarius. Marcella. Petrus Nolascenus.

      Saturday,  February 1st. Moon Aquarius. New Moon.  Brigid, patron saint of Ireland, died 500. Ignatius (school of the Evangelist John, by command of the Emperor Trajan torn apart by wild animals).

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 4 (Summer) *
      An Sinnesoffenbarung hingegeben,
      Verlor ich mein Eigenwesens Trieb,
      Gedankentraum, er schien