Re: R: [anthroposophy] Michaelic thinking and "american" needs

  • SRC
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2003
      Dear Andrea:

      --- VALENTINA BRUNETTI <okcgbr@...> wrote:

      > Dear Stephen,
      > the Living Thinking is not a Scaligero's "property"!! It's the core of
      > the
      > Spiritual Scientific path. Scaligero had the task to put it in the
      > centre of
      > this path- just following the Zeitgeist's evolution (he wrote more or
      > less
      > 50-60years after POF and Occut Science) and to emphasize it, following
      > his
      > own direct experience and afterwards to give the key of it to us.
      > The question is - especially if there is some other Italian Anthrofellow
      > listening- what have we done of such a gift ?

      OK; and I would be glad to hear from those others whomay use that Living
      Thinking. Our epistomology is most important, as Joel is also intenton
      pointing out.

      > > ..This statement about the 180 degrees of a triangle is false -
      > contrary
      > > to popular belief. Or, more precisely, it is true only in an
      > > infinitesimal fraction of all possible cases, and hence false as a
      > general
      > > statement. As an example, however, it illustrates the kind of
      > inflexible
      > > and inappropriate mental attitude which can be fostered by an
      > overemphasis
      > > on <correct theory>, or, as I infer from your use of this example a
      > > <Living Thinking> which is excessively abstract. At least for an
      > > American.
      > >
      > > Thus it is a good example for the kind af apaproach which Joel and I
      > > prefer, and a bad example for your point of view.
      > >

      > Ok Stephen, since I'm not a math-student I can't really say nothing
      > about the fact in itself.
      > But i have to add that the fact was just an example of an objective
      > truth that is the same for each human mind, if grasped in its core.

      Andrea, what I am saying is that this is not an objective truth that is
      the same for each human mind. And I would go so far as to state that
      there are almost no truths which compel submission.
      Someone once said that for all significant statements, their opposite is
      also true. It is only for trivial statements that their opposite is
      false.

      In making the statement about the angles of a triangle, you are making
      hidden assumptions - assumptions which are fatal for the <objectivity> of
      your philosophy.

      I won't deny that, according to assumptions which are implicit in your
      excaample, that all minds would agree with you. But others, making
      equally valid but different assumptions, would be perfectly correct in
      maintaining that the angles of a triangle are either always greater than
      180 degrees, or always less that 180 degrees. This is not trivial. This
      bears upon the very foundations of knowledge and conceptualization.
      Also: the Imaginal World of 180 degree triangles is not real, the other
      ones are much closer to lived-in reality. The more you live in the Ideal
      world, the more distant you are from real life, and the more heart-work
      has to be done so as not to be too divorced from fellow-man. Maybe
      Italians are naturally good at this. For Americans, with an excess of
      Will-forces and a lack of Heart-forces, I'm not so sure.

      I read your post to Joel, the only thing I notice is:

      < MMhhh, I find it not correct. I knew and I know some American people
      and,
      < like everyone else in Europe, I have lot of perception and concepts
      about
      < the American culture and history and way of living and so on.

      But until you walk upon the Land, breathe its air, absorb its physical
      nature into yours, and intuit the legacy of its Ancestors, your
      familiarity is not very intimate.

      Best Wishes,

      Stephen

      Stephen

      =====
      "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that
      we are powerful beyond measure." Nelson Mandela, quoting Marianne Williamson, inaugural speech, 1994.

      "Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue . . . and the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer." Rilke

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com