looking for Steiner reference

  • danterosati <dante@interport.net>
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 13, 2003
      Hi-

      I remember reading a lecture or book where Steiner speaks of how we
      are "food" in a sense for some members of the heirarchies. Does anyone
      recall where I might have read this?

      thanks

      Dante
    • Albert the Panther
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2003
        > I remember reading a lecture or book where Steiner
        > speaks of how we are "food" in a sense for some
        members > of the heirarchies.

        There's a mind-boggling idea. Eat my right little
        finger and grow larger, my left little finger and grow
        smaller.

        (I refuse to speculate upon other options ... ) :)

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • elaineupton2001 <elaineupton@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 15, 2003
          Hello Dante Divine Comedy, Albert and Albert the Great, and all other
          venerable ones interested in this thread,

          Dante writes:

          > I remember reading a lecture or book where Steiner speaks of how we
          > are "food" in a sense for some members of the heirarchies. Does
          anyone
          > recall where I might have read this?

          Dante, I cannot answer your question on where you might have read
          this in Steiner, but I find it one of those amazing synchroncities
          that I should come to the computer today and find your post, because
          last night I was reflecting on the piece by Gandhi in the latest
          issue of the anthroposophic journal, Southern Cross Review (SCR),
          where Gandhi talks about the morality of vegetarianism. As I
          reflected on that idea, what came to me was that (and maybe Gandhi
          says this, and maybe also steiner says this somewhere, but I am not
          sure)--what came to me was that if we eat from the hierarchy that is
          just one level below us (therefore close to us)--namely, the animal
          heirarchy, then it takes less creative effort for our body-souls to
          digest and *use* the food (the animals are too close). It takes more
          effort to digest and *use* the food of plants and be able to use it
          for strength, because plants are more subtle and a stage more removed
          than the animals.

          So, I wonder if it is so that if we are also eaten, the next level
          up--the angels--do not eat us. ??? Maybe it's the Archangels who eat
          us, and if so, what is it exactly that they are eating, since they
          don't need our physical substantiality, at least not in the human
          sense of eating?

          Well, these are questions, and I am not sure what touches upon truth
          in what I am saying, so all I can do is follow the questions, as
          openly and honestly as I know how. Then, maybe i will find the
          references in Steiner or some other wise teacher, and will test to
          see if these same answers are also within.

          Meantime, I agree with Albert that it is a sobering thought to think
          that we are food for some"one"--and also an uplifting thought!!

          Last night I was also reflecting on the whole history of blood
          sacrifices and sacrifices of food. That is a tremendous history.
          Since the Mystery of Golgotha, where the Lamb of God was sacrificed,
          we no longer need these blood rituals (at least not if we are living
          in the Consciousness Soul realm). So what now is required of us?
          Each moment of eating and drinking and living is a sacrificial act,
          if done mindfully, in freedom ("Take eat, this is my body...this is
          my blood/This do in remembrance of me.")

          Blessings,
          elaine
        • danterosati <dante@interport.net>
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 15, 2003
            Hi Elaine-

            I think it more likely that other consciousness may feed on our
            emotional energy rather than our bodies. There is the possibility that
            different classes of beings have a "taste" for differing emotional
            energy- some feeding off negative energy, and perhaps others off
            positive. Then there arises the possibility of beings practicing what
            to them would be "animal husbandry", and what we would call
            exploitation and manipulation. If you were a being that fed off of
            negative human emotional energy, then you might want to try to get
            humans to generate as much of it as possible. You might (for example)
            try to put into effect a giant control system involving the media,
            government, and business to keep people in a negative emotional state.
            You know, like the way things are now in the world!

            The beings who might feed off pure light and love are unlikely to be
            coercive, and may not compete with the negative feeders. All of this
            may be perfectly natural in the order of things, so that the concept
            of "service to others" will include freely offering your energy to
            those who need it. This does not mean you have to allow the negative
            feeders to manipulate you into negative states. This is avoided not by
            fighting against the system, but rather by keeping your focus on the
            light.

            Flipping around the tv the other night I came across a program about a
            group of zoologists capturing, sedating and tagging a panda in China.
            They jabbed the poor guy with a needle on the end of a pole, then
            dragged him out of the trap by his feet. They were all laughing as
            they poked, prodded, examined and tagged him. If we are capable of
            treating other beings this way, we hardly have a right to complain if
            more advanced beings do the same to us.

            Dante
          • Chrystal Godleske
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2003
              Food for the hierarchies On 1/13/2003 6:21 PM, "danterosati <dante@...>" <dante@...> wrote:

              Hi-

              I remember reading a lecture or book where Steiner speaks of how we
              are "food" in a sense for some members of the heirarchies. Does anyone
              recall where I might have read this?

              thanks

              Dante

              Dante and all interested peeple ; ) ,

              While I can’t say where in my Steiner reading, exactly, I gleaned these ideas, they are related so I’ll share them. Maybe that will coax other’s memories to bring forth tasty morsels too. One is the idea of our bodies as ‘leavening’ for the earth. Without the gift of our physical bodies going back to the earth it would die. Much is said, of course about what happened on Golgotha at the moment that the Christ’s blood flowed onto the ground. To have read also, somewhere, about the importance of the giving back of our own human bodies, helps me to, at least in thought, if not always in deed, honor this personal temple that I inhabit as I move about the world. (Hmmm. Some Dualist tendencies in my thinking emerge! I’ll ruminate on that.)

              Then there are the savory ideas that our words, thoughts and our deeds are gifts to the hierarchies that aid in their development. Interdependency. I’m not sure about speech and thought but  our deeds will be our offering, upon our crossing over, to the Archangel Michael. His face is described beautifully in several places as he looks upon our deeds and judges their worth. Our speech and thoughts, as I understand it, are on a different timetable. Is it our thoughts that go to our angel every night? Hmmmm. Writing this out shows me that I want to get a much better handle on the hierarchies and their roles. Holding these images and being reminded of the possibility of a contribution that I might make with my speech, thought and deeds helps me to raise myself up in those areas and become more of what my higher destiny calls me to be. This is also one (The?) reason that speech, as in the art of speaking, is so important in Waldorf schools.

              I’m happy to add something to this steaming pot ‘o stone soup today.

              Bon appetit,

              Chrystal
            • Br. Ron
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 16, 2003
                Food for the hierarchies

                Hi Dante:

                "By the same power that slays you, I too am slain; and I too shall be consumed. For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand. Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven."

                A toast to you my friend!....From one morsel to another.

                Love

                Br. Ron

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • SRC
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 16, 2003
                  > > Hi-
                  > >
                  > > I remember reading a lecture or book where Steiner speaks of how we
                  > > are "food" in a sense for some members of the heirarchies. Does anyone
                  > > recall where I might have read this?
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > >
                  > > Dante

                  Hi. While a great number of esoteric - and fascinating - explanations are
                  possible, it is a simple fact of life that everything circulates in and
                  out of everything else. Within our bodies, within our minds, there is a
                  constant flow of substance and energy, always transforming, going about
                  its business. And between our within and our without - the breath, the
                  ideas and feelings, the money, we share with others and are affected by as
                  they share with us. So also between ourselves and those those other
                  non-human beings in our environment: bacteria, archangels, dogs & cats,
                  etc.

                  Everything takes in, transforms, and gives back. That's why I don't have
                  a philosophical problem with meat-eating. <Friends don't eat friends>?
                  Of course we do. There are perfectly good reasons for being a vegetarian,
                  but I think they are more of the utilitarian and pragmatic variety than of

                  We are all food for each other. Its no mystery.

                  Best Regards,

                  Stephen

                  =====
                  "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that
                  we are powerful beyond measure." Nelson Mandela, inaugural speech, 1994

                  "The less you bet, the more you lose when you win." Wyatt Earp

                  "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Br. Ron
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 16, 2003
                        > We are all food for each other.  Its no mystery.

                        > Best Regards,
                        > Stephen
                    True...only some of us are more delicious than others. :-)

                    BR
                  • elaineupton2001 <elaineupton@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 16, 2003
                      Hello stephen, dante, all of this thread (br ron. chrystal, all),

                      Stephen writes:

                      > Everything takes in, transforms, and gives back. That's why I
                      don't have
                      > a philosophical problem with meat-eating. <Friends don't eat
                      friends>?
                      > Of course we do. There are perfectly good reasons for being a
                      vegetarian,
                      > but I think they are more of the utilitarian and pragmatic variety
                      than of
                      *****

                      Stephen, I think there are more than utilitarian and pragmatic
                      reasons for beinga vegetarian. If one wants to look at what steiner
                      says there is a website reference (keyword on yahoo: steiner on
                      vegetarianism). He talks about how it takes a certain activity to
                      digest plant food and less activity of a certain kind to digest
                      animal food, so it depends on the kinds of spiritual/moral strength
                      we want to develop. It's everybodys' choice in the end, and i condemn
                      no one for meat eating, yet I do feel it belongs more to former times
                      than to the needs of most of us in the present stages of development.

                      Also, the pragmatic and utilitarian reasons are no small matter. Cows
                      take up lots of space on such a small planet. Eat plants and you take
                      up less space. Cows need grass and then this and that and this and
                      that before they finally arrive on one's table. A lot of that space
                      and time could be used for feeding more people, etc. etc. in a world
                      of starving people. It's about using resources well and sharing,
                      globally.

                      Yet, somewhere steiner advises: eat meat until you find it
                      repulsive...

                      To me, it is repulsive.

                      Love,
                      elaine
                    • SRC
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 16, 2003
                        Hi Elaine:

                        --- "elaineupton2001 <elaineupton@...>" <elaineupton@...>

                        > Stephen, I think there are more than utilitarian and pragmatic
                        > reasons for beinga vegetarian. If one wants to look at what steiner
                        > says there is a website reference (keyword on yahoo: steiner on
                        > vegetarianism). He talks about how it takes a certain activity to
                        > digest plant food and less activity of a certain kind to digest
                        > animal food, so it depends on the kinds of spiritual/moral strength
                        > we want to develop. It's everybodys' choice in the end, and i condemn
                        > no one for meat eating, yet I do feel it belongs more to former times
                        > than to the needs of most of us in the present stages of development.

                        Dear Elaine: those are some of the pragmatic reasons I was thinking of -
                        sorry if I wasn't clear enough. For an example of a non-pragmatic reason,
                        I would suggest; <It's bad because Steiner said so> or <its immoral to eat
                        flesh>. Those might be good reasons, but they stem from principle, not
                        from experience or tactical, value-free considerations.

                        > Also, the pragmatic and utilitarian reasons are no small matter. Cows
                        > take up lots of space on such a small planet. Eat plants and you take
                        > up less space. Cows need grass and then this and that and this and
                        > that before they finally arrive on one's table. A lot of that space
                        > and time could be used for feeding more people, etc. etc. in a world
                        > of starving people. It's about using resources well and sharing,
                        > globally.

                        Absolutely; all great reasons to not eat meat. But one must also honor
                        the circumstances of one's own karma, ie; metabolism. While some people
                        can only thrive on a vegetarian diet, some other people would sicken. I
                        do agree its something to work towards in the long run.

                        > Yet, somewhere steiner advises: eat meat until you find it
                        > repulsive...

                        Right; there is all too frequently a tendency to do violence to one's own
                        situation by the attempt to replace it in an instant by something
                        <better>. Growth is organic, not revolutionary - although there are
                        quantum jumps (discontiuities) from time to time. Even those arise from
                        the influence of slow, constant pressure.

                        just thinking...

                        Stephen

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 16, 2003
                          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "elaineupton2001
                          <elaineupton@h...>" <elaineupton@h...> wrote:
                          > Hello stephen, dante, all of this thread (br ron. chrystal, all),

                          I dont seem to be on this thread as my last post did not appear. is
                          this group moderated?

                          Dante
                        • Pacbay
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 17, 2003
                            On vegetarianism:

                            As mentioned last week or so, there is a higher and greater moral principle for not consuming animals? Practical and spiritual, self oriented reasons miss the point.  Killing and suffering as taught by Buddhists,Hindus and vegetarian advocates is the higher reason -  not land use, pollution or the benefits of spiritual process from a vegetarian diet.

                            JA

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 17, 2003
                              Thanks, my dear Brother Stephen, for your reply on vegetarianism.
                              Yes, we agree about these things, and I do honor those who feel their
                              metabolic system needs meat, for now. If I remember rightly,
                              somewhere Steiner also said that people who live in big cities, like
                              London or NYC, might need meat, because of forces there...But like
                              you, I feel it is not just a matter of "Herr Doktor hat gesagt", but
                              of experiencing these things within our own innermost being (which is
                              listening to Anthropo-Sophia).

                              By the way, I printed out your article, part II, on the Mexican
                              mysteries from SCR (Southern Cross Review), and hope to read it soon.

                              Mitaquye Oyasin,
                              elaine
                            • elaineupton2001 <elaineupton@hotmail.com>
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 17, 2003
                                Thanks, Dante, for your reply. I quite agree that higher beings are
                                more likely to feed off our emotional/spiritual energies, yet these
                                are connected to our physical manifestations and deeds in the flesh,
                                so for me it is not either/or. If we, for example, live moral lives
                                and eat in a manner consistent with this morality, we will have
                                bodies that go back to Earth and provide nourishment more than
                                pollution, and this nourishment transforms to spiritual nourishment
                                for the whole cosmos, as Earth evolves to become the star, Jupiter,
                                in its next incarnation, and we evolve with it, to the higher realms.

                                And yes, like you, I am tremendously saddened by the cruel treatment
                                some zoo people and gamekeepers and scientists can mete out to
                                animals, like the panda you mentioned. There are those who also do
                                such things to human beings and we call it torture.

                                May we learn the touch of love (each different kind of touch, it is
                                said by certain anthroposophic masseuses, calls up the forces of
                                different planetary beings--speaking of hierarchies. So, there is the
                                Mars touch, the Venus touch, etc.--)

                                Blessings,
                                elaine
                              • SRC
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 17, 2003
                                  Dear Elaine:

                                  wrote:
                                  > Thanks, my dear Brother Stephen, for your reply on vegetarianism.
                                  > Yes, we agree about these things, and I do honor those who feel their
                                  > metabolic system needs meat, for now.

                                  I knew we agreed, just wanted to get final verbal clarity on it....

                                  If I remember rightly,
                                  > somewhere Steiner also said that people who live in big cities, like
                                  > London or NYC, might need meat, because of forces there...But like
                                  > you, I feel it is not just a matter of "Herr Doktor hat gesagt", but
                                  > of experiencing these things within our own innermost being (which is
                                  > listening to Anthropo-Sophia).
                                  >
                                  > By the way, I printed out your article, part II, on the Mexican
                                  > mysteries from SCR (Southern Cross Review), and hope to read it soon.

                                  I'm not surprised at all that RS would say such a thing. Living here in
                                  the Southwest, where terrestrial and subnatural forces are so strong, one
                                  needs a lot of <ballast> in order to stay functional and grounded.
                                  Whether its meat, lots of beans and beer, or some sort of inner-plane
                                  connection with the local formative forces, something <extra> is needed to
                                  maintain inner integrity and outer balance in the face of very strong and
                                  difficult outer forces.
                                  It's all to easy to go woo-woo unless something decisively pro-active is
                                  done. With the right metabolism and a very conscious diet, veganism can
                                  work here, but the people who do it well for a long time are few and
                                  fortunate.

                                  Let me know if you ever start getting a guilty craving for a nice juicy
                                  steak!

                                  Part IIb is already done; let me know if you want to read it before the
                                  next issue of SCR.

                                  > Mitaquye Oyasin,
                                  > elaine

                                  Walk in Beauty,

                                  Stephen

                                  =====
                                  "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that
                                  we are powerful beyond measure." Nelson Mandela, inaugural speech, 1994

                                  "The less you bet, the more you lose when you win." Wyatt Earp

                                  "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

                                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                • David Hickman
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 19, 2003
                                    Re: [anthroposophy] Food for the hierarchies

                                    Dear All,

                                    Regarding the request of Dante concerning Steiner's observation that human beings were as food for certain spiritual beings,
                                    below is something that may help. . . .

                                    From the last paragraph on  Page 213, (cont'd on page 214) of Steiner's The Fifth Gospel:

                                    "Anything connected with entering into the soul of an individual experience can only be investigated when the words: 'The soul offers itself to be food to the Origins or Archai, the Spirits of Personality' acquire meaning. This may sound grotesque, but it is nevertheless true that truths such as the life of Jesus cannot be investigated unless the words :You are consumed to serve the Spirits of personality as spiritual food' have real meaning to you."

                                    And a little further down on the same page (214)--

                                    . . . "Human beings are to the Archai what grains of wheat are to you as human beings. . . "

                                    David Hickman

                                    on 1/15/03 11:47 PM, Chrystal Godleske at chrystalcg@... wrote:

                                    On 1/13/2003 6:21 PM, "danterosati <dante@...>" <dante@...> wrote:

                                    Hi-

                                    I remember reading a lecture or book where Steiner speaks of how we
                                    are "food" in a sense for some members of the heirarchies. Does anyone
                                    recall where I might have read this?

                                    thanks

                                    Dante

                                    Dante and all interested peeple ; ) ,

                                    While I can¹t say where in my Steiner reading, exactly, I gleaned these ideas, they are related so I¹ll share them. Maybe that will coax other¹s memories to bring forth tasty morsels too. One is the idea of our bodies as Œleavening¹ for the earth. Without the gift of our physical bodies going back to the earth it would die. Much is said, of course about what happened on Golgotha at the moment that the Christ¹s blood flowed onto the ground. To have read also, somewhere, about the importance of the giving back of our own human bodies, helps me to, at least in thought, if not always in deed, honor this personal temple that I inhabit as I move about the world. (Hmmm. Some Dualist tendencies in my thinking emerge! I¹ll ruminate on that.)

                                    Then there are the savory ideas that our words, thoughts and our deeds are gifts to the hierarchies that aid in their development. Interdependency. I¹m not sure about speech and thought but  our deeds will be our offering, upon our crossing over, to the Archangel Michael. His face is described beautifully in several places as he looks upon our deeds and judges their worth. Our speech and thoughts, as I understand it, are on a different timetable. Is it our thoughts that go to our angel every night? Hmmmm. Writing this out shows me that I want to get a much better handle on the hierarchies and their roles. Holding these images and being reminded of the possibility of a contribution that I might make with my speech, thought and deeds helps me to raise myself up in those areas and become more of what my higher destiny calls me to be. This is also one (The?) reason that speech, as in the art of speaking, is so important in Waldorf schools.

                                    I¹m happy to add something to this steaming pot Œo stone soup today.

                                    Bon appetit,

                                    Chrystal

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT