Ut Hoy!

  • Chrystal Godleske
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
      What? Am I not first? I thought so to be.

      Such intimacy, crackling and stimulating to this newcomer, I've seen here!
      I'm beginning to get a sense of the active personalities and issues and
      while, hanging back for a time, I wondered how I'd fit, I've now decided to
      jump in while the double-dutch rope is in spin. I'm Chrystal of Portland,
      mother, Waldorf teacher-in-training, ever riding into the spray on the bow
      of a billowing-sailed question, rubbing salt from my eyes, ears in cleaning,
      w/Willing, wondering. Here. I Am. Saying hello. Listening in.

      I am most interested in what happens when human beings engage. That is my
      testing ground for all ideas. My learning stage. The jewelers grinder that
      has the potential to bring out the brilliantly gleaming facets hidden under
      our gnarly edges. Ut Hoy!

      Here in our little hidden-gem filled town we have been meeting for a Twelve
      Nights study of The Gospel of John. The ideas and the people intermingle in
      the most interesting ways. For itty-bitty example, the idea came up (oh dear
      my weakness citing chapter or even exact ideas, oh dear, accuracy fails me,
      I may stumble being a rather 'about' kind of actor just now) that we humans
      first existed only in the physical (I've seen and worked with the exact
      opposite idea...clarity will come one day I'm sure, bear with me) and our
      etheric and astral bodies were provided by higher beings and someone began
      to muse about our human relationship to the machines we create and that
      serve us. No, no, no. It was the related idea that though the mineral world
      is only physical here it has its etheric and astral elsewhere and by
      extension the plant world its physical and etheric here and its astral
      elsewhere and so on. Yes, that is in the third chapter (oh yes, it was the
      third night because S. was there and we were at D.'s house) I believe. But
      the leaping off point of my imagination (how different or same or related to
      *I*magination?) for me is this idea, (fantastical? Science Fictional?) that
      machines may be in the process of being ensouled. And that we are the higher
      beings that are facilitating that process. It became a thought and feeling
      exercise for me this week. What is my relationship, in all of my parts, to
      the computer as I sit at it? What of myself am I extending through it? What
      fruit will this potentially bear in the next epoch of our humanness,
      Jupiter-home? How could love come to bear in this process? It is this type
      of exercise that I love. A relatively playful one this time. Here is
      another.

      This fall I did a short presentation about a boy, Leonardo, born in the town
      of Vinci. His parents called him Lenny, you have a pet name too don't you?,
      for he was well loved. We know this even now, with certainty, because of the
      body of living smiles that he gifted upon the world. And the world did smile
      on Lenny, in his childhood and as he flowered into his amazing adulthood.
      And he smiled on it. All around his family's farm he had freedom to wander,
      and it was his school. He lay for hours in the grass beside the stream that
      ran through the pastures and watched the waters swirling and eddying and the
      water bugs that floated on its surface, with their outstretched legs ending
      on wide feet and he wondered, not in so many words but in his feeling, if he
      too might someday be able to walk on water.

      And he spent long winter days in the barn, in the stalls with his favorite
      animals of all, the horses that worked his family's fields, and felt their
      warmth and smelled their smells. He was a true lover of horses, was Lenny,
      and he even loved the smell of their steaming piles of dung. And he stroked
      their broad chests and noticed the whirl of hair there, just above their
      beating hearts, and marveled how like it was that on their flanks where
      graceful limb meets, in movement, massive horse body and in turn how both of
      those whorling swirls of hair were like what he had seen in the movement of
      the waters and the dancing of the water striders upon it.

      And he spent winter days also in the kitchen of his grandmother listening to
      stories of the Old Testament, moving his fingers through the pile of flour
      on grandma's bread baking table, drawing whorls and forms and then figures.
      And his family noticed that Lenny had a talent for pictures and it amused
      them and they encouraged it. With a piece of charcoal from the bread-baking
      oven he had soon covered the walls in the kitchen with the faces of the
      characters in his town and in the stories he learned at that same hearth.
      And woe be unto he who crossed the young Leonardo, for that person might end
      up at the wrong end of that ever more powerful piece of charcoal. Like the
      man from the next village who came one day to do business with his father,
      had a quarrel, and on his way off of the porch, gave Lenny's dog a Kick! He
      became immortalized in the family imagination as Leonardo sketched that mans
      face onto the massive head of Goliath being slain by the young David...

      Now, you who know something about the later work and interests of Leonardo
      da Vinci, will recognize the elements in this picture of his childhood that
      I offer here that developed into the person and work we know. The images I
      offer are not to be found in any book. Those things are simply not 'known'.
      I offer this as an illustration, tinged with apology of where I am with
      Steiner and Anthroposophy. I know a very little about Leonardo da Vinci
      other than what I read to prepare for the presentation. And I took it into
      me and it lived anew; if unorthodoxly (my mentor's feedback was, in short,
      'More facts, ma'am'. Same here?).

      I have been reading and working on AP books for a short couple of years and
      more broadly than deeply. But my heart sings and my wondering place rings
      when I read Rudy (love that someone has that as their email handle). And my
      knowing place exhales with recognition, sweet beloved meeting of my
      never-said-aloud-to-anyone's with the observations of Rudolph Steiner.
      Hooray and Hallelujah!

      I'm a newcomer, lots of questions and uncertainties, but I AM here and I
      want to learn more more more. I already have, just as I paused for a bit
      coming through this door to take in the scene before me.

      With warmth and gratitude,

      Chrystal
    • Bradford Riley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
        From: Chrystal Godleske <chrystalcg@...>
        Subject: [anthroposophy] Ut Hoy!
        >Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 08:06:01 -0800
        >
        >What? Am I not first? I thought so to be.
        >
        >Chrystal

        Bradford Muckle comments;

        What Hoy, a lost blood shepherd. Why take her in, give some chunks of
        steaming gruel and lamb... What, the wolf was chasing Lenny. That little
        rapscallion, I had to paint my barn twice from all the graffitti he scrawled
        on't. Reminds me of trainyard in the subways of N.Y., works of unknown
        artists, a spray can.. good thing Lenny didn't have a spray can.

        Now I hear tell that you shepherd's had saw something out in the fields.
        Jeff here thought it was a UFO, lots of strange lights floating over and
        singing... and I hear you boys fell asleep, girls fell asleep out there and
        heard or dreamt you was abducted by Angels who smelled like roses. Yup

        See the little grey men, coat over the dozing eyes of Herod's men and made
        em think they was being examined by little gray men.. but it is all in the
        'I' of the seeker. Some see Angels and some see UFO's, and those at want
        UFO's is not likely to see Angels for by that time, once they got little
        steely grey men in their noggins, they can't be cured. But you Shepherd folk
        was too stupid, not clever like Herod's grunting crew.

        Now, a few years back, some thought some Kings came into town, with a wild
        trail of Camels and supplies.. Strange things bin happening around here
        every couple a years.. Maybe Lenny can illustrate some comic or invent
        something.. He might even invent a flying machine or submarine to go under
        the sea and look at mermaids. Now them is different than your flying,
        floating, singing, hovering, Light show in the sky. The Mermaids come to ya
        when you done swum your last and suddenly you see the ladies... by then a
        course it might be past reviving.

        Now I understand you shepherds followed the UFO till it hovering and you
        went inside the barn and there was a bunch of cattle, dung, and some lady
        freezing to death in the winter stall.. cept that the aliens were keeping
        the place warm. Hovering in the bitter cold, with some strange heaters. Good
        thing Lenny did see it, he would a made some kinda ray gun or something.

        Milk, wool, and warm open hearted tears.. kneeling before a Babe.. Tell me,
        was it a fat round little babe that kinda a looked like a Buddha? Oh well,
        you gonna tell us more a what you saw, because you know how rumors get
        started..

        Muckle

      • SRC
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
          Hi Chrystal:

          --- Chrystal Godleske <chrystalcg@...> wrote:
          > What?....

          Well, hello to you, too, and thanx for your lovely and revealing post.

          This is a place to meet, but its not real life, so don't get your
          expectations all scrambled up. It's also a contact sport here on this list
          - more so than some of us would like, but scars and callouses individuate
          us....

          Yes, machines probably need us more than we need them, but anthroposophy
          has a ways to go, I think, before it can relate to them on the level they
          need to be related to. I've yacked a lot about that on this list, so I
          won't try and regurgitate any of it now. If you have any very specific
          questions, I'd be glad and try to field them.

          So let it all hang out and show us what you got!

          And don't forget: there's no such thing as dumb questions - ony dumb
          answers! Shame on any who might make you feel small for not knowing what
          they (think) they know.

          Warm Regards,

          Stephen

          =====
          "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that
          we are powerful beyond measure." Nelson Mandela, inaugural speech, 1994

          "The less you bet, the more you lose when you win." Wyatt Earp

          "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Chrystal Godleske
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
            Re: [anthroposophy] Ut Hoy! Stephen On 1/3/2003 2:25 PM, "SRC" <mozartg@...> wrote:

            Hi Chrystal:

            This is a place to meet, but its not real life, so don't get your
            expectations all scrambled up. It's also a contact sport here on this list
            - more so than some of us would like, but scars and callouses individuate
            us....

            Caveat much appreciated and echoed by my own observations!

            If you have any very specific
            questions, I'd be glad and try to field them.

            Nothing specific now, just musings offered by way of introduction, but more to come...thank you for meeting them with kindness. I hadn’t thought much about machines before. I’ve brought a little bit o’ consciousness to a blindspot of mine. Yeah! I’m glad to know that there are people here who have all sorts of interests and styles and inclinations to illuminate one another’s blindspots and stumbling places and worthy deeds as well.

            So let it all hang out and show us what you got!

            scuse me then while I slip this weighty tome into the back pocket of my swingy skirt and strap on my smooth soled dancin’ shoes...

            ‘till next time,
            Chrystal

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
              Re: [anthroposophy] Ut Hoy! Muckle Bradford On 1/3/2003 2:24 PM, "Bradford Riley" <holderlin66@...> wrote:

              The light, be it what it may, I follow as it warms my heart like none before, and the notes that from it sound forth, well, those come from no tin box, that I certainly can say. None but an angel could let forth so pure a call and when I answer, why my own voice, it is my own but, somehow..., yay, clearer and higher than just before. And that gives confidence to my step and strength to cover more ground. So heartily, sharing steaming gruel and lamb and pineapple all ‘round, onward we tread arm in arm with all of goodwill...

              Cheery Cheers,

              Chrystal