Re: [anthroposophy] A Modern Spiritual Path [was: Light on the Path - A universal question]

  • Pacbay
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003

      jeff-

      you are free to think and say whatever you want. lack of knowledge, conscientiousness and a willingness to find Truth is the difference between Anthroposophy and the off-the-wall ways of thought you and others on this list champion. why don't you just take your friends and leave us Anthroposophists alone until you all know enough to write correctly about what Theosophy is and what Hinduism is and what Anthroposophy is and what voodoo is?  we'll help you if you ask, but do you think it's fair for you to damn us without knowing what you're doing or saying? as i already said: Anthroposophy is the most difficult way of all, and those too lazy to know what it's about don't even know enough to criticize it.

      gq
      ---
      Because I am able to include AP and other spiritual perspectives within myself and not get rattled, defensive, or insecure. Utimately, its our own experience of the world not AP this is the "truth".  If one does their homework, which I have done (and do not want to duplicate this from several years ago), for every declarative statement in AP, one can find an opposite or at least something that points in another direction (or at least is confusing). You and others cannot have it both ways. Philosophy of Freedom is the way to intellectual and psyhcological truth- no, we better add Knowledge of Higher Worlds for moral development and clairvoyant insight; oops, we need some devotional work, so we better study the Gospel lectures and pray; but we need to study Buddhism now to understand Christianity since Christianity is more complex than meets the eye; now wait a second, now there are two Jesus-es not one; a new educational model is needed but we cannot understand the basic pedagogy e.g the Study of Man or why some temperments do not match the normal; study nature "spiritually" but don't leave out Calendar of the Soul so one can sense the weekly cycle; master the material sciences and education in addition to AP but don't discuss the inconsistencies. Pleeeeease. Help.

      The point is: AP is an evolving perspective not a static one. It does not contain all there is to know but others may, just may, be able to add something to it or even correct some misunderstandings like race, culture, after death conditions, and evolution. If one is afraid that a few tattered threads will unravel the entire tapestry, we have a real problem. I don't. I use what I can and augment AP with cross study and other sources to make it stronger not insular. When I spoke about near death experiences in front of a medical group some years ago, do you think I could have spoken directly from AP sources?. I would have lost the audience in 10 minutes if I used Steiner only. I used direct source materials from the medical literature to serve as a foundation and then related this to a deeper understanding that Steiner offers in the context of the Wisdom Tradition and meditation. It may not have have been "AP" pure and complex but at least they were encouraged to look at again or for the first time.   I am interested in solutions that open doors not a system that restricts those interested from entering if they do not have the right "key".
      --

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
        Okay. The gauntlet is down. Every AP who chooses, please explain in brief, what is an Anthroposophist?

        Steiner quotes okay.

        JLA

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
          Hello all of this rather ragged thread,

          IN an attempt, i believe, to bring some clarity to the discussion of
          "the" path or "a" path, Jeff writes and asks:

          > Okay. The gauntlet is down. Every AP who chooses, please explain in
          brief, what is an Anthroposophist?

          > Steiner quotes okay.
          >
          > JLA

          Thanks, Jeff. I am not sure I care to run a gauntlet, but I find your
          question important. I suppose there will be as many different answers
          to "what is an anthroposophist" as there are people here. I would
          tend to listen to those who have much experience in committed study
          of Steiner and students of steiner, and those who answer this
          question based on dilletantism (lack of commitment to the work of
          Steiner) I would tend to ignore.

          My own answer is not a simple one (maybe if I were wiser the answer
          would be simple--smile). My own answer is also incomplete, and is
          evolving. Just these past nights (and as the clock struck 12 January
          1, 2003), I was reading from STeiner how since the famous Christmas
          Conference (1925) he united his personal karma with that of the
          Anthroposophic Society (when he became President) and that he also
          said that the Anthroposophic *Movement* from thenceforth could no
          longer be separated from the Anthroposophic *Society*. This has been
          a sticky point for many. In this vein, Steiner also speaks of the
          being of Anthroposophia (the latest and most significant
          manifestation of the being who was Mary-Sophia and later Phil-Sophia
          in the Greek period of the Intellectual Soul). Steiner says that in
          the *Movement* (and thus in the Society?), we are a small group at
          first, and that it is important that in all we do we call upon she
          who is a real, living Being, Anthroposophia. A real living being,
          manifest and re-born in the Spiritual Hierarchies since the turn of
          the 18-19th century. We must, he says, must call upon her and seek
          her guidance in all we do. She will answer us as from our deep inner
          being, as ourselves, our true selves.

          I'd say that for me an Anthroposophist is one who calls upon and
          lives intimately with the being, the living being, Anthroposophia.
          For guidance, we can study Steiner (not blindly, but with loving
          questions), and Steiner's work (flawed perhaps in some cases, but
          overall deeply rich) helps us learn more of how to listen for
          Anthroposophia, and she is the bearer of the Etheric Christ. She is
          that Wisdom within us--*within us*--the Wisdom within, the Divine
          Feminine, who with The Father, works, and she bears the Etheric
          Christ, the Christ manifest in our Time...and the Christ whom Michael
          serves. There are big questions of evolution, race, time, nation,
          geography, cosmic events. These are the ones that Anthroposophia
          helps us understand and work rightly with. Steiner's work is most
          often an immensely helpful companion and guide.

          This is how I see myself, imperfectly as yet, as an Anthroposophist...

          Blessings,
          elaine
        • Br. Ron
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003

            Okay. The gauntlet is down. Every AP who chooses, please explain in brief, what is an Anthroposophist?

            Steiner quotes okay.

            JLA

            It is someone who finds strength in identifying with a group...
            nothing more, nothing less. (Which must ultimately put them at
            odds with Anthroposophy itself)

            If Anthroposophy is Steiner's art of finding freedom through the
            process of individualizing, the term "Anthroposophist" must be technically, an oxymoron.

            BR

          • 888 <fireofthe12@yahoo.com.au>
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
              Hi Jeff,
              > Okay. The gauntlet is down. Every AP who chooses, please explain in
              >brief, what is an Anthroposophist?

              One thing's for sure, it's not a person who says "I believe
              everything Rudolf Steiner said". That is the kind of Guru complex he
              wanted to avoid. His desire would be that students think for
              themselves. If one follows the above statment one would have to
              define anthroposophy as "what Rudolf Steiner said". That's how some
              theosophists define theosophy- "what Blavatsky said".

              To define an anthroposophist you'd have to define anthroposophy- it's
              not the kind of word a marketer would choose is it? (Aren't you in
              marketing Jeff?)

              There are many definitions of anthroposophy I've seen over the years-
              things like "Christian yoga after the coming of Michael", "the Wisdom
              in Man". But perhaps the best one is to be found in the "Awakening to
              Community" lectures. I'll have to hunt it out later, but it has to do
              with the development of the Consciousness Soul. The anthroposophist
              is one who strives to work out of the Consciousness Soul. That is at
              least one of the qualities of an real anthroposophist.

              Of course, then one must ask what exactly is this Consciousness Soul.
              Bradford has put up some ideas on the Intellectual or Mind Soul, but
              I've never seen a lot of clear ideas on the Consciousness Soul. This
              is surprising considering how much it's talked about.

              Happy New Year,
              Bruce
            • SRC
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                Dear Ron:

                --- "Br. Ron" <rlloyd@...> wrote:

                > It is someone who finds strength in identifying with a group...
                > nothing more, nothing less. (Which must ultimately put them at
                > odds with Anthroposophy itself)
                >
                > If Anthroposophy is Steiner's art of finding freedom through the
                > process of individualizing, the term "Anthroposophist" must be
                > technically, an oxymoron.

                I'm sympathetic to your point of view.

                I style myself as one who is in love with the Ideal of Freedom. The <ist>
                part of it is one of those messy things that is one of those inevitable
                and necessary things that happens in the world of Form, and I try and stay
                as clear about that as possible.
                It doesn't bug me as much as it used to.

                Oxymoronically yours,

                Stephen

                =====
                Dear Lord, please help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

                "The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed."
                - Steven Biko

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Joel Wendt
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                  On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 17:21, 888 wrote:

                  > There are many definitions of anthroposophy I've seen over the years-
                  > things like "Christian yoga after the coming of Michael", "the Wisdom
                  > in Man". But perhaps the best one is to be found in the "Awakening to
                  > Community" lectures. I'll have to hunt it out later, but it has to do
                  > with the development of the Consciousness Soul. The anthroposophist
                  > is one who strives to work out of the Consciousness Soul. That is at
                  > least one of the qualities of an real anthroposophist.

                  "Anthroposophy is a path of cognition from the spiritual in man to the
                  Spiritual in the Cosmos" First Leading Thought. Some translations
                  (George Adam's for example) use the term "knowledge" instead of
                  "cognition", but the German term is erkennen or erkentnis (sorry about
                  the spelling). The problem, as it was explained to me, is that English
                  speakers tend to think of "knowledge" as a kind of thing which one can
                  receive passively, like through reading a book (thus the love of
                  practitioners of Steinerism for the lecture cycles), while "cognition"
                  is "active thinking", or as I have come to like to express it "will in
                  thinking". Our Italian friend, Andrea, likes to talk about the
                  "concentration", which is how Kuhlewind also speaks of it. For
                  Americans, we probably need to go to Emerson (see my essay "discovering
                  individual insight" which draws Steiner and Emerson together in a
                  practical (pragmatic way) at http://ipwebdev.com/hermit/stgfr9.html )

                  > Of course, then one must ask what exactly is this Consciousness Soul.
                  > Bradford has put up some ideas on the Intellectual or Mind Soul, but
                  > I've never seen a lot of clear ideas on the Consciousness Soul. This
                  > is surprising considering how much it's talked about.

                  Bruce, see my discussion with Br. Ron, also quoted in brief here:
                  "This age is not about developing visionary powers, but about unfolding
                  individual moral authority through learning to know the good and the
                  true with the own thinking activity (remember Steiner fans, what the
                  good doctor said about three steps in the moral for each step on the
                  path to initiation). We incarnate in this most material of ages for
                  just this purpose - we need the rigid structure, and all its
                  difficulties, to find our own "I am" as the ground of moral activity
                  This accomplishment then becomes an eternal aspect of the "I am" that
                  can be carried forward into the next incarnations. All the rest, all
                  the intellectual concepts of esoterics and spiritual this and that, is
                  superfluous. As Stephen Clarke and I agreed, its all about character,
                  which is of course what one finds so admirable and powerful in regard to
                  native American spirituality. First you get character, then you study
                  the "knowledge" in the mysteries (not the other way around, which so
                  many members of the steinerism movement seem to be tripping on)."

                  For the Steiner fans, here is the quote from Theosophy:
                  "By causing the self-existent true and good to come to life in his inner
                  being, the human being raises himself above the mere sentient-soul. A
                  light is kindled in her which is imperishable. In so far as the soul
                  lives in this light, she is a participant in the eternal. With the
                  eternal she unites her own existence. What the soul carries within
                  herself of the true and the good is immortal in her. Let us call that
                  which shines forth in the soul as eternal, the consciousness-soul."

                  Of course, the trick is to know how to do this, how to "cause" the
                  self-existent true and good to come to life in our inner being.

                  warm regards,
                  joel
                • Pacbay

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003

                      >Br. Ron,

                      >There must be more to an AP characterization than this. Come on now.

                      >Jeff

                      Actully not, Jeff. I am supremely taken by the pearls of Steiner
                      and Anthroposophy but those who consider themselves "Anthroposophists"
                      generally bore me to tears. (present company excluded of course :-)

                      BR

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2003
                        What bores some, brings up anger  and heat in  others. When younger (early 20's) I was in a similar position until I was taken to the "shed"
                        about dogma, elitism, and false facades of belief. If someone is truly committed to something, as Bucky Fuller, said, they could throw away all the books and start fresh with little or not remorse or collapse of self certainty. I doubt several here could do that.

                        Jeff

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2003
                          Yes Jeff, I agree.

                          I think what escapes most folks is that my 'I AM' is the final and only
                          arbitor of my Truth.

                          I don't care if a full blown incarnation of the Solar Logos came up
                          and told me something, it is only true for me... if it's true for me.

                          That's why it is so difficult to align with a movement or
                          organized dogma...because there is nobody that I believe
                          wholly and unconditionally. There is ALWAYS a caveat
                          of some sort.

                          As much as I generally love Steiner, there are some things that he
                          said that are flat out contradictory...and some things that (to me)
                          seem to be naught but plain BS.

                          So until Michael himself taps me on the shoulder, I trust only that
                          which resides within my Holy of Holies.

                          But that doesn't mean that AP isn't a supremely potent means
                          for helping to uncover the 'once and future' Being I have come to
                          know as my Sacred Sovereign Self.

                          Love

                          BR

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2003
                            I could not have said more clearly.

                            Jeff

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 19, 2003
                              > "Anthroposophy is a path of cognition from the spiritual in man to
                              the
                              > Spiritual in the Cosmos" First Leading Thought.
                              Here is Alfred Meebold's translation:
                              Anthroposophy is a path of knowledge which would lead the spiritual
                              in man to the spiritual in the Universe. It appears in men as a need
                              of the heart and feeling. It must find its justification in that it
                              can afford satisfaction to this need. Only he can acknowledge
                              Anthroposophy who finds in it what he must seek out of his Gemut.
                              Hence only those men can be called Anthroposophists who feel certain
                              questions as to the nature of man and the world as life necessities
                              in the same way as one feels hunger and thirst.

                              > For the Steiner fans, here is the quote from Theosophy:
                              > "By causing the self-existent true and good to come to life in his
                              inner
                              > being, the human being raises himself above the mere sentient-
                              soul. A
                              > light is kindled in her which is imperishable. In so far as the
                              soul
                              > lives in this light, she is a participant in the eternal. With the
                              > eternal she unites her own existence. What the soul carries within
                              > herself of the true and the good is immortal in her. Let us call
                              that
                              > which shines forth in the soul as eternal, the consciousness-soul."

                              Yes but there is more to it than that, isn't there? You see in the
                              above the similarity to the first leading thought. The "true and the
                              good" the "eternal" is God (attributes of God), ie the spiritual in
                              Man which leads to the spiritual in the Universe (God).

                              Best Regards,
                              Bruce