Christ's Steps in the East/Transfiguration

  • Bradford Riley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Bradford comments; The Difference between Christ and Buddha

      No one has given him a humanitarian award, no earthly award has been given
      for the astonishing, first time, leap to grasp the rich lore of Jesus. All
      men wish to know the secrets of Jesus. All think they feel the closeness of
      Jesus. Yet to examine the technical intricacy of how God, Nature and the
      Spirit bring forth destiny, Karma and illumination stumps us all. Take for
      instance this passage by Steiner below. No one has awarded him much, in an
      earthly sense, and for that, we can say clearly that human awards and prizes
      obviously mean less than the unseen award of the Spiritual Worlds. Certainly
      where moth and rust doth not corrupt. Believe me I could tell tales about
      the difference of moths and butterflies but rather it is you who must think
      about these things. "insecto-theology really serves to mark our own
      potential for metamorphosis. "

      Rudolf Steiner:

      � In the course of Buddha's life the tempter approaches him, promising him
      all the kingdoms of the earth. Buddha will have nothing to do with this,
      answering, �I know well that a kingdom is appointed to me, but I do not
      desire an earthly one; I shall become Buddha and make all the world exult
      for joy.� The tempter has to admit, �My reign is over.� Jesus answers the
      same temptation in the words: �Get thee hence, Satan, for it is written,
      Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Then the
      devil leaveth him.� (Matthew 4:10,11) � This description of parallelism
      might be extended to many other points: the results would be the same. �

      "The life of Buddha ended sublimely. During a journey he felt ill. He came
      to the river Hiranja, near Kuschinagara. There he lay down on a carpet
      spread for him by his favorite disciple, Ananda. (might this not be St.
      Francis) His body began to shine from within. He died transfigured, a body
      of light, saying, �Nothing endures.� The death of Buddha corresponds with
      the transfiguration of Jesus: �And it came to pass about eight days after
      these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain
      to pray. And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and
      his raiment was white and glistening.� At this point Buddha's earthly life
      ends, but the most important part of the life of Jesus begins here: Passion,
      Death and Resurrection.

      "The difference between Buddha and Christ lies in what necessitated the
      continuation of the life of Christ Jesus beyond that of Buddha. Buddha and
      Christ are not understood by simply throwing them together. (This will
      become evident in the subsequent chapters of this book.) Other accounts of
      the death of Buddha need not be considered here, although they also reveal
      profound aspects of the subject. The conformity in the lives of these two
      redeemers leads to an unequivocal conclusion.

      "What this conclusion must be, the narratives themselves indicate. When the
      priest sages hear about the manner of the birth they know what is involved.
      They know that they are dealing with a divine man. They know beforehand what
      conditions will exist for the personality who is appearing. Therefore his
      career can only correspond with what they know about the career of a divine
      man. Such a career appears in their Mystery wisdom, marked out for all
      eternity. It can be only as it must be. Such a career appears as an eternal
      law of nature. Just as a chemical substance can behave only in a quite
      definite way, so a Buddha or a Christ can live only in a quite definite way.
      His career cannot be described as one would write his incidental biography;
      rather, it is described by giving the typical features contained for all
      time in the wisdom of the Mysteries. The legend of Buddha is no more a
      biography in the ordinary sense, than the Gospels are intended to be an
      ordinary biography of the Christ Jesus. Neither describes an incidental
      career; both describe a career marked out for a world-redeemer. The patterns
      for both must be sought in the traditions of the Mysteries, not in outward
      physical history. To those who have perceived their divine nature, Buddha
      and Jesus are initiates in the most eminent sense. (Jesus is an initiate
      because the Christ Being incarnates in him.) Thus everything transitory is
      removed from their lives. What is known about initiates can be applied to
      them. The incidental events of their lives are no longer described. It is
      said of them, �In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and
      the Word was God ... And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.� (John
      1:1,14)

      "The life of Jesus, however, contains more than the life of Buddha. Buddha's
      life ends with the transfiguration. The most significant part of the life of
      Jesus begins after the transfiguration. In the language of the initiates,
      Buddha reaches the point where divine light begins to shine in man. He
      stands before the death of the physical. He becomes the cosmic light. Jesus
      goes further. He does not die physically at the moment the cosmic light
      transfigures him. At that moment he is a Buddha. But at the same moment he
      enters upon a stage which finds expression in a higher degree of initiation.
      He suffers and dies. The physical part of him disappears.

      "But the spiritual, the cosmic light does not vanish. His resurrection
      follows. He reveals himself to his community as Christ. At the moment of his
      transfiguration, Buddha dissolves into the hallowed life of the universal
      Spirit. Christ Jesus awakens this universal Spirit once more to present
      existence in a human form. Such an event had formerly taken place in a
      pictorial sense at the higher stages of initiation. Those initiated
      according to the Osiris myth attained to such a resurrection in their
      consciousness as a pictorial experience. In the life of Jesus this �great�
      initiation was added to the Buddha initiation, not as a pictorial
      experience, but as reality. Buddha demonstrated by his life that man is the
      Logos and that he returns to this Logos, to the light, when his physical
      part dies. In Jesus the Logos itself became a person. In him the Word became
      flesh. "

      Bradford comments;

      The Transfiguration is this shimmering 'golden' point where the Astral body
      of Buddha goes to the end of its highest level of enlightenment before the
      Christ takes over. It is here where the Christ steps in. When we read what
      follows, we barely grasp what it means. It means Chrysalis and mankind. We
      also know it has something to do with Ancient Saturn evolution. I quote
      something to expand my point here:

      ******** " Typology assumes that pre-figuration is inherent in natural and
      biblical formulations, and that pre-figuration tends to prove salvation.
      Thus Adam emerges in the Old Testament as the first man in order to
      pre-figure the true savior, the Christ of the New Testament. This
      typological thinking is not, however, confined to the Bible; caterpillars'
      re-emergence, for example, both proves Christ's resurrection and confirms
      our own sense of re-birth. Insects become tokens to uncover the
      spiritually-renewing secrets of nature: insecto-theology really serves to
      mark our own potential for metamorphosis. "

      Bradford continues;

      Going back to ancient Saturn, the Christ Being is Making our Logos, our laws
      and our solar system. The opening of the John Gospel is Right on target!
      Blossom and Butterfly are inter-related and follow the line of development
      from stone-hexagon crystal to Seraph of Six Wings. Such fire spirit, perhaps
      one glimpsed in Bro. Ron's fire. I mean a lower Salamander sampler might
      have been seen.

      Now I know this confuses most of us. But I beg you to consider. Thrice great
      becomes as far as Buddha could take it. Thrice great arises the human astral
      body. Buddha glows in transfiguration as Buddha and as Jesus. Christ Steps
      in, and with the same Initiation Science that covers the entire creative
      field of the Logos that Andrea was talking about, Christ at the level of
      Manas and Spirit Self- (the highest a human could attain before Christ) now
      enters the prepared psychological structure...

      Zarathustra has left the building, better than Elvis.. We have Buddha and
      Krishna and heavens know the highest refined Ego forces of Zarathustra, but
      now Christ Steps in. He will penetrate, and sweat blood, which is now the
      Chrysalis baking in what is known occulty as "Gold Dew", that remote residue
      that is built on the flimsy concept of what is left after nothing? A residue
      of Gold.. and Christ is this powerful residue of gold and He now lifts past
      the Manas and Spirit Self phase and as Christ carries the forces of the
      Etheric Green Man, naked man fleeing- "The Fugitive of the Future form of
      Man" Christ is sweating blood as he penetrates the very bones to bring the
      final phase of the gift to mankind.

      Christ brings it beyond what Buddha or Zarathustra could bring it to. A
      Saturn metamorphosis, written in the script of plant and caterpillar and
      butterfly, a gold new warmth, must now transpose the structure of Man and
      there we see the dawning of the Super Sun Logos Being performing for Man
      what had been written in the Saturn form of the anient Butterfly. This Life
      Spirit to Spirit Man - lifts the New Atman or Spirit Man - the Flesh Being
      up past the Saint/Angel factor of Manas to the walking, talking, atomic
      materialization of the Logos laws of matter, any matter for that matter.

      Does Steiner get an award for bringing such a feast, examining such first
      hand 'breaking news' on the human front line? It would be a great reward for
      Him if we could think and understand what his Science of the Spirit means.
      But he broke the news, he broke the story first, and he deserves the credit.
      It was attempting to translate the language of the mysteries into the
      language of the sciences and so.. and so.. we have so much more to grapple
      with in passing this tale on to our children and our grandchildren.

      Bradford