Re: [anthroposophy] "Language Rules"-Thoughtlessness

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2000
      Thanks, dear Jo Ann,

      Your reply comes to me as heartfelt thinking!

      I appreciate what you write. Each day with my students, i see this
      propensity for unthinking obedience to prescribed forms. They want me to
      tell them what to do, how to think (even while giving lip service to being
      democratic, free thinking, to the notion that "everybody's entitled to his
      or her own opinion"). But America often has the face, the appearance of
      democracy, liberty, free thinking, five second sound bite where everyone is
      expressing his or her opinion on everything under the sun. But that is only
      an appearance. Underneath there is this fear, and this submission to Wall
      Street, Wal-Mart, Microsoft, Disney, and so on (in which move dark forces).
      Now, all is necessary, dark and light in the LIGHT. Yet, to linger in this
      submission to dark (evil) is the way of suffering. And so, may we wake up to
      what is going on, move through it consciously, with heart, and onward, or
      that is my prayer.

      I think the implication of Arendt's piece, EICHMANN IN JERUSALEM, is that
      Eichmann can crop up anywhere, and does. I am not saying that she is
      directly saying this, but the implication is there.

      If I, for example, allow my students to use me as the dictator (give them
      rules, tell them how many pages a paper should be, etc.) and absolve them of
      responsibility to think, choose (on whatever level of choice we are
      capable), then I inherit what I do. What goes round comes round, in the way
      of karma.--Of course, I am here to guide my students, but to guide them to
      follow their own inner light, not some pre-scribed rules. And there is lots
      of work in mining, discovering that inner light (so its no glib matter, no
      easy thing, not "forget the rules and so anything goes", but a discovery out
      of chaos to harmony...).

      Likewise, if I go to the supermarket and shop thoughtlessly (following old
      ways about what's good to have on the dinner table, cliches, slogans, ads
      that appeal to fear, greed, selfish comfort), I am supporting the dark
      forces that work in factory farming and in animal testing and so on. At all
      levels, we are called to be awake, to think with heart.

      Love,
      elaine