Re: [anthroposophy] "Language Rules"-Thoughtlessness

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 6:29 AM
      Hi Elaine,

      This is a partial response to your first post, which held a number of good
      questions...

      I'm going to skip all the stuff about could we or couldn't we see the evil
      in Eichmann's physiology-- whether via photography or personal
      observation. (Although, for those who are interested in the Holocaust,
      there is an interesting review by Eva Hoffman, "The Uses of Hell," in the
      NY Review of Books (and a tip of the hat to Hilmar, who brought it to my
      attention):

      http://www.nybooks.com/nyrev/WWWarchdisplay.cgi?20000309019R#top )

      I'm more interested in the questions you ask at the end of your post.

      > . . . what is occuring around/within me about which i am thoughtless,
      > about which i am trapped in mind/heart numbing rules of language,
      > cliches and old ways that entrap me and deaden my heart, my thought?

      In other words: in what ways might I be falling into the Luciferic trap of
      becoming a 'moral automaton'**, unable to freely think from the heart and
      thus find the correct action for THIS situation in which I find myself?
      How often do we fail to "think the unthinkable and bear the unbearable"
      because to do so would violate some group norm, some 'language rule' that
      we have come to accept without questioning??

      After all, is this not the seductive trap of group-think--- that we need
      not *think* at all, but merely accept and obey the wisdom of the group...
      give up individual responsibility (and individual freedom) for the warm,
      comforting embrace of some higher authority... of some vision of the way
      things should be...

      Think of the courage it took for the Japanese Emperor to go against all
      His advisors and centuries of tradition and perhaps even His own
      beliefs.... to listen to His heart and say, "No more." And so to make that
      historic broadcast and tell His people, "The time has come to think the
      unthinkable and bear the unbearable...." To surrender not only His
      country, but His divine nature... to become not a symbol, but an
      individual human being, standing upright in and of himself.

      And so, as you note:
      > ... even what appears as monstrous is a face of God and shall be
      > transformed, redeemed by the whole, by the Love that is, that is in
      > enlivened, heartfelt thinking embrace?

      Only through thinking with our hearts can we escape being "stuck in
      cliches, in old ways, in pre-scribed forms, in obedience to some outer or
      inner seductive monster..." Only through thinking with our hearts can we
      "think the unthinkable and bear the unbearable." Only through thinking
      with our hearts can we hope to become fully human...

      Love & light,
      JoAnn

      ** see: http://www.antronet.se/mellett/chiasma.htm and
      http://www.steiner98.org/Archives/moral.html for more on the phenomenon of
      moral behaviorism.

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • elaine upton
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 8:44 AM
        Thanks, dear Jo Ann,

        Your reply comes to me as heartfelt thinking!

        I appreciate what you write. Each day with my students, i see this
        propensity for unthinking obedience to prescribed forms. They want me to
        tell them what to do, how to think (even while giving lip service to being
        democratic, free thinking, to the notion that "everybody's entitled to his
        or her own opinion"). But America often has the face, the appearance of
        democracy, liberty, free thinking, five second sound bite where everyone is
        expressing his or her opinion on everything under the sun. But that is only
        an appearance. Underneath there is this fear, and this submission to Wall
        Street, Wal-Mart, Microsoft, Disney, and so on (in which move dark forces).
        Now, all is necessary, dark and light in the LIGHT. Yet, to linger in this
        submission to dark (evil) is the way of suffering. And so, may we wake up to
        what is going on, move through it consciously, with heart, and onward, or
        that is my prayer.

        I think the implication of Arendt's piece, EICHMANN IN JERUSALEM, is that
        Eichmann can crop up anywhere, and does. I am not saying that she is
        directly saying this, but the implication is there.

        If I, for example, allow my students to use me as the dictator (give them
        rules, tell them how many pages a paper should be, etc.) and absolve them of
        responsibility to think, choose (on whatever level of choice we are
        capable), then I inherit what I do. What goes round comes round, in the way
        of karma.--Of course, I am here to guide my students, but to guide them to
        follow their own inner light, not some pre-scribed rules. And there is lots
        of work in mining, discovering that inner light (so its no glib matter, no
        easy thing, not "forget the rules and so anything goes", but a discovery out
        of chaos to harmony...).

        Likewise, if I go to the supermarket and shop thoughtlessly (following old
        ways about what's good to have on the dinner table, cliches, slogans, ads
        that appeal to fear, greed, selfish comfort), I am supporting the dark
        forces that work in factory farming and in animal testing and so on. At all
        levels, we are called to be awake, to think with heart.

        Love,
        elaine