racism, intelligence and related...

  • elaineupton2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hello list,

      Let me attempt to be brief here (i need to finish my washing and then
      drive to campus to class). Yet, i think this thread on race/sim
      (which has appeared on this list before, as regards steiner, etc.) is
      important.

      Let me just add something to the pot: in this whole matter of
      intelligence, i feel there is a need to look more broadly at what
      intelligence means. There are, so to speak, different kinds of
      intelligence, and different ways of knowing (different epistemolocal
      drives and gifts in various cultures). As steiner says (in the
      Apocalypse lectures, referred to in my previous post on this thread),
      we evolve beyond race to cultural groupings, beyond blood and such to
      ego development. So, this obsession with blood and race, while still
      relevant to a degree, is gradually outmoded and replaced. Then, we
      are able to see (i believe) that there are different gifts of
      different cultures, and different kinds of intelligence. An
      observation of the world will show this.

      There is the "Stanford Binet" kind of IQ--a kind of intelligence,
      just one kind, a very important kind, one highly valued in schools,
      but just one --just one--kind. There are also other kinds of
      intelligence and other ways of knowing. I marvel at those who have
      intelligence of a kind in their hands and bodies (certain auto
      mechanics, carpenters, laborers, certain artists, and so on...the
      Mohawk Indians who can walk on high wires between skyscrapers and
      such...people who have the gift of seeing landscapes and angles and
      putting them on canvas...etc., etc...). There are typical feminine
      ways of seeing and typical masculine ways of seeing (some men are
      feminine and some women are masculine, so this is not just a bodily
      thing) , which, to me, are related to certain kinds of intelligence.
      Yes, there are rhythmical ways of being, not just playing basketball
      (hoops) and dancing, but also living rhythmically and having a gift
      for this that we find in certain races, but more and more find in
      certain cultures.--As races mix, say in New Mexico, the state to
      which I am moving, you find some going beyond race to different kinds
      of cultural traits...

      The future is about cultures, not races. It doesn't just take steiner
      to tell us this. Look around!--

      In my teaching at college, i have had the opportunity to work with a
      novel called "The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man" by the great
      James Weldon Johnson. It is a book that excites my students, both
      black and white and HIspanic and other mixed raced groups. It is
      definitely a work that makes a contribution to this whole issue of
      race and evolving beyond race. Johnson may not go as far as i might
      go today, but he made an offering (in the 1920's Harlem Renaissance)
      at a crucial time in U.S. and world history, also during the
      Negritude Movement (with such as the great Franz Fanon, who
      wrote "Black Skin White Mask" and "The Wretched of the Earth," and
      others in Cuba, Martinque, France, Senegal, etc. in the Negritude
      movement) taking place in the African diaspora. Langston Hughes, the
      great poet, is also important here, as is the pivotal work of W.E.B.
      Dubois.

      Then, there are important works by "mixed race" native Americans,
      like the Berkeley Professor, Laguna Pueblo, Paula Gunn Allen, and
      works by Latinos of mixed race and heritage, such as Gloria Anzaldua,
      who wrote a book with a telling title, *Borderlands/La Frontiera*.
      Julia Alvarez and Sandra Cisneros are other important Hispanic
      writers that have a lot to teach. These people are working in the
      margins and in the borderlands or frontiers, and they could perhaps
      teach anthropops a thing or two. At least they teach me and among
      them are those who i am happy to call my colleagues and friends.

      Blessings,
      elaine
    • Sören Groth
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- In anthroposophy@y..., "elaineupton2001" <elaineupton@h...> wrote:

        > The future is about cultures, not races. It doesn't just take steiner
        > to tell us this. Look around!--

        Thank you for a two great posts....
        Here's a quote from a significant researcher working to establish a
        afrocenthric modern view - negritude was more artistic, a "dream" of
        Africa.. Ki-Zerbo is a thorough historical scientist :-) And a very
        spirited guy....

        "The Africa which the world needs is a continent able to stand up, to
        walk on its own feet rather than on crutches or on its head, in
        vacuous mimicry or escapism. It is an Africa conscious of its own past
        and able to keep on reinvesting this past into its present and future."
        - Joseph Ki-Zerbo

        http://www.rightlivelihood.se/recip/ki-zerbo.htm