Re: transformation

  • John Massengale
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3 10:40 AM
      For me, this duality is reason and intuition, not reason and emotion. The
      combination of reason and intuition is what the Greeks, the Romans and the
      US Founders called Common Sense. The Common Sense that leads to statements
      like, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
      equal . . ."

      > Therefore, to transform the lower senses, or parts of the physical, astral
      > and etheric bodies, the work must be done through the ego.

      Yes, and the ego is a problem for many of us. If it weren't, we would be at
      a higher stage of being.

      I don't want to be in the position of arguing against emotion. What human
      does not love emotion? But does Steiner say that angels have no emotions?
      Does that say something about evolution? Are we talking about different
      things when we say "emotion"? Are there higher and lower emotions? Probably
      so, but we love them all.

      John Massengale
    • Sarah Cherry
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3 11:08 AM
        >From: "John Massengale" <john@...>
        >
        > > It's helpful to remember, as my grandmother would say, "if you can spot it,
        > > you got it," thus revealing just where and in whom transformation must
        >
        >Sarah, Elaine --
        >
        >The following is NOT aimed at either of you.

        I'm not sure why you thought we'd think anything was "aimed" at all,
        except that we were 2 of several contributors to the thread.

        >A recent study reported in the New York Times and probably elsewhere showed
        >that the most incompetent people in most endeavors think they are competent.
        >And the most competent do not feel that way.
        >
        >Similarly, the most angry, repressed, selfish, self-centered person
        >constantly "sees" the faults of other people: "sees" is in quotes because
        >what they are seeing is very often what they are projecting.
        >
        >I can imagine scenarios in which I would agree with your grandmother's
        >quote, but it also justifies enormous self-justification. "I know I'm right,
        >I got mad."

        This is again a problem with interpretation. The only meaning I ever
        associated with the phrase is simply that one is *most likely*
        observing one's own projections in the outer world. Only through
        strenuous work on the self can this circumstance be rectified, thus
        advocating humility, self control, humor etc., to best handle the
        emotions thru the thinking. Sorry for the confusion. The meaning I
        attribute to this phrase in no way involves self-justification, but I
        can understand your point. Guess I should have stuck with
        "mechanical". :-).

        Actually, Steiner said this in a different (read better) way. To
        paraphrase Steiner, "Look into the outer world to find the self, look
        into your own soul to find the other."

        Wishing strength and peace to all,

        Sarah
      • Demetrue@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3 11:34 AM
          Dearest John, What Sarah was saying (hi, Sarah ;o) now I know you are!), or
          rather, what her grandmother meant was, that if something annoys you about
          someone else (You SPOT something that irks you) then that is a signal to
          search within yourself to see 1. what is it within you that is so easily
          annoyed and 2. what work you need to do on that same annoying quality within
          yourself (you GOT the same problem you are pointing out in others).. or to
          paraphrase Christ (LOL! that sounds so funny) "If you see a speck of sawdust
          in your brother;s eye, you better remove the plank from your own eye first,
          so you can see well enough to really help your brother with his sawdust
          problem!" Warmly and with great mirth, Demetra
        • elaine upton
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5 9:32 AM
            Thank you, dear Sarah, for your lovely post on transformation!

            I love both ways you express the point of transforming emotion, anger, for
            example.

            On another note: Cherry! We are having a few pink cherry blossoms here in
            Charlottesville just now!

            And Nashville! Ah! Well, i am a native of Tennessee, south of Knoxville. I
            have a long lost anthroposophic friend, Terry Howell, who lives in Franklin,
            Tennessee, near Nashville. I don't think he'd mind me saying on this list
            that he used to be lonely for anthroposophists. Do you two know each other?
            He is a psychologist, working as a consultant, sometimes for automobile
            companies (Saturn?), so maybe you ran into each other. Maybe.--So, I am
            holding him in the light of this list and of your presence near him.

            Thanks for your reply, and Be Well,
            elaine