Re: From the Ninth Duino Elegy

  • Demetrue@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2000
      elaine, I found your translation deeply moving... I stand in awe of you and
      Rilke... and the earth.
    • elaine upton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2000
        Hello Demetrue,

        Thanks for your reply (and see my comment below):

        >elaine, I found your translation deeply moving... I stand in awe of you
        >and
        >Rilke... and the earth.

        Please, know that rilke, the earth, me are nothing without you. Separation
        is an illusion, one promoted by materialistic thinking, is it not? I forget,
        and need reminders, so i am not preaching at you, but reminding myself of
        this oneness. (Which is not to say that we are not all individuals, unique,
        like instruments, each important, in the ONE Orchestra!)

        Anyway, you know Rilke had some problems last time around (when he was
        incarnated on European soil, in Prague, etc.). He (like Goethe and some
        others) had some trouble living up to some of what he wrote about. His great
        realizations about love, for example, were not always ones he incarnated.
        But he gets to try again, now in me (smile)--in us, who hear him. My prayer
        is to be a poet whose life and writing come together, in service.--So, for
        that service, there has to be a reader, a hearer a you, a me, all part of
        that movement of the ONE (God, SELF).

        I think there is also a line, or circle, of incarnation between Rilke and
        the great medieval Sufi poet, Hafiz. (Rumi is the one who is more known, and
        that is understandable; yet Hafiz is also quite powerful, and he is, one way
        or another, in Rilke's blood...)

        Loving poetry, loving,