Re: 12 senses-Re: Sense of smell-Re: our materialistic

  • Danny F.
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
      --- elaine upton <elaineupton@...> wrote:
      > From: "elaine upton" <elaineupton@...>

      > > Is someone on the list knowing enough the Aristotelian categories
      > > relate them to the 12 senses? A young soul..(smile)
      >
      > OOH, what would we do without Aristotle for categories!?!
      > (Aristotle-Steiner
      > categories?)--No, I don't know the 5th century B.C.E. Greek version.

      To be frank with you I thought there was 12 of these categories, but
      then I made a search on the net to discover there's is 10...
      I find it's always interesting, to connect, relate and web things
      together; pure thinking.

      > Anyway, as i understand all this, the work is to transform each level
      > of
      > sense, to reach the higher sense, and the next higher and so on up to
      > EGO.
      >
      > On the thread of our materialistic culture, I think looking at TV,
      > and even
      > increasing use of the internet (that which i am now doing--hmm) helps
      >
      > promote the illusion of limited senses. Here, we don't even use
      > hearing, and
      > what we use of sight is limited. So, as Tom asks on his list, how can
      > we
      > reach Ego, when we haven't transformed the lower senses?
      >
      > He cites the blind-deaf Helen Keller as a model of transformation.

      The Plato's 'cave story' would be a functional model too....

      Take care!
      Danny

      =====
      'There's a fine line between participation and mockery'.
      --Scott Adams

      'My advice to you is to get married. If you find a good wife, you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher'.

      'True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing'.
      --Socrates
      http://im.yahoo.com