From the Ninth Duino Elegy

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hello dears,

      Here's my translation from the German of the ending of Rainer Maria Rilke's
      Ninth Duino Elegy (Ninth of Ten):

      Earth, isn't this what you want: invisibly
      in us to be resurrected? Isn't it your dream
      to be one day invisible ? Earth! Invisible!
      What's your urgent charge, if not transformation?
      Earth, my love, I will this. Oh, believe me, you don't
      need your Springs to win me anymore --*one*,
      oh, one's already too much for my blood.
      Without name, I am from now on committed to being yours.
      Always you were in the right, and your most sacred occurence
      is in the fidelity of death.

      Look, I live! From what? Neither childhood nor
      the future become less...Being overflowing
      springs up in my heart!

      *********
      "Being overflowing",
      "elaine"

      [This message contained attachments]
    • Demetrue@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2000
        elaine, I found your translation deeply moving... I stand in awe of you and
        Rilke... and the earth.
      • elaine upton
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2000
          Hello Demetrue,

          Thanks for your reply (and see my comment below):

          >elaine, I found your translation deeply moving... I stand in awe of you
          >and
          >Rilke... and the earth.

          Please, know that rilke, the earth, me are nothing without you. Separation
          is an illusion, one promoted by materialistic thinking, is it not? I forget,
          and need reminders, so i am not preaching at you, but reminding myself of
          this oneness. (Which is not to say that we are not all individuals, unique,
          like instruments, each important, in the ONE Orchestra!)

          Anyway, you know Rilke had some problems last time around (when he was
          incarnated on European soil, in Prague, etc.). He (like Goethe and some
          others) had some trouble living up to some of what he wrote about. His great
          realizations about love, for example, were not always ones he incarnated.
          But he gets to try again, now in me (smile)--in us, who hear him. My prayer
          is to be a poet whose life and writing come together, in service.--So, for
          that service, there has to be a reader, a hearer a you, a me, all part of
          that movement of the ONE (God, SELF).

          I think there is also a line, or circle, of incarnation between Rilke and
          the great medieval Sufi poet, Hafiz. (Rumi is the one who is more known, and
          that is understandable; yet Hafiz is also quite powerful, and he is, one way
          or another, in Rilke's blood...)

          Loving poetry, loving,