12 senses-Re: Sense of smell-Re: our materialistic

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hello danny, dear silent lurker on this subject (you know who you are...),
      and all,

      >From: "Danny F." <premabrahma@...>

      > This is terribly silly I find to have come to think we only have 5
      > senses, again the feeble-mindedness of our age wants to see(humans
      > have become mostly bleak sight beings(TV watcher pattern)) for real
      > only what is most easy and conspicuous...

      Danny, i agree with you. And also your post makes me laugh. I just have this
      image of feeble-minded creatures walking around, like some robotic monsters
      locked up in five senses. Now, what's funny about that? I'm not sure. Just
      the absurdity, i suppose, and the relief that it's not really that way (not
      yet...).

      Seriously, though, you continue:

      > In the book 'Study of Man' Steiner goes as follow:
      >
      > " First we have four senses; the sense of touch, sense of life,
      > of movement, and balance. These senses are mostly penetrated by will
      > activity."

      Yes, or as Tom Mellet discusses on his list --Will or Body (Physical)

      > (...)
      >
      > " The next senses - sense of smell, sense of taste, sense of sight,
      > sense of warmth - are chieftly feeling senses."
      >
      > (...)

      Yes, or Soul senses (in the triumvirate of Body-Soul-Spirit)

      > " I have yet to add the ego sense, thought sense, sense of hearing,
      > and sense of speech are predominantly knowledge senses..."

      Yes, or Spirit senses (all is spirit in a way, but Spirit more particularly
      here with these four senses, EGO sense being the highest.
      (Not Ego as in egotistical..., but as in sense of the so-called other...or
      the selfless Christ-in-Me)
      >-----
      >
      > Correction: sight beings, and ego beings(smile)...
      >
      > Is someone on the list knowing enough the Aristotelian categories to
      > relate them to the 12 senses? A young soul..(smile)

      OOH, what would we do without Aristotle for categories!?! (Aristotle-Steiner
      categories?)--No, I don't know the 5th century B.C.E. Greek version.

      Anyway, as i understand all this, the work is to transform each level of
      sense, to reach the higher sense, and the next higher and so on up to EGO.

      On the thread of our materialistic culture, I think looking at TV, and even
      increasing use of the internet (that which i am now doing--hmm) helps
      promote the illusion of limited senses. Here, we don't even use hearing, and
      what we use of sight is limited. So, as Tom asks on his list, how can we
      reach Ego, when we haven't transformed the lower senses?

      He cites the blind-deaf Helen Keller as a model of transformation. Now, some
      may be put off by Tom's initial language, but, as someone here lurking
      advised me, if you can get past his New York "street language", odd sense of
      humor, and what some would call profanities, there is a site worth viewing.
      I don't have the exact address, but i think if you do a search with
      Steiner98 as key words you will find the site, and a page onwhat he says on
      12 senses.

      Thanks for your offerings, danny, and unnamed lurker.
      Blessings,

    • Danny F.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
        --- elaine upton <elaineupton@...> wrote:
        > From: "elaine upton" <elaineupton@...>

        > > Is someone on the list knowing enough the Aristotelian categories
        > > relate them to the 12 senses? A young soul..(smile)
        >
        > OOH, what would we do without Aristotle for categories!?!
        > (Aristotle-Steiner
        > categories?)--No, I don't know the 5th century B.C.E. Greek version.

        To be frank with you I thought there was 12 of these categories, but
        then I made a search on the net to discover there's is 10...
        I find it's always interesting, to connect, relate and web things
        together; pure thinking.

        > Anyway, as i understand all this, the work is to transform each level
        > of
        > sense, to reach the higher sense, and the next higher and so on up to
        > EGO.
        >
        > On the thread of our materialistic culture, I think looking at TV,
        > and even
        > increasing use of the internet (that which i am now doing--hmm) helps
        >
        > promote the illusion of limited senses. Here, we don't even use
        > hearing, and
        > what we use of sight is limited. So, as Tom asks on his list, how can
        > we
        > reach Ego, when we haven't transformed the lower senses?
        >
        > He cites the blind-deaf Helen Keller as a model of transformation.

        The Plato's 'cave story' would be a functional model too....

        Take care!
        Danny

        =====
        'There's a fine line between participation and mockery'.
        --Scott Adams

        'My advice to you is to get married. If you find a good wife, you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher'.

        'True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing'.
        --Socrates
        http://im.yahoo.com