Re: compassion-Re: our materialistic culture

  • Joel A. Wendt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
      Dear John and Elaine,

      I hope you don't mind my sticking my two-bits in, but I would like to comment

      To me "compassion" is a state of being, which means that it can manifest
      partially as emotion, but also as thought and will. It is "attitude", as in the
      compassionate Buddha". So the question is what is my "attitude" toward another
      being? If it is "compassionate", then I will act out of the 8-fold path toward
      them.

      This truth of "being" "compassionate" was part of Buddha's teaching mission.
      It is also different from Love. I think you touch this mystery, John, when you
      try to think of "compassion" as somehow conflicted with "science", which seems to
      need a dispassionate attitude in order for objectivity to arise ("This requires
      detachment and a lack of emotion.")

      There is a level to "compassion", which is kind of neutral. If I am filled
      with "compassion" I am not too likely to "involve" myself. I experience
      something, and I have compassion regards it, but I don't necessarily act so as to
      place myself in the situation. Love is different here. Love can very easily lead
      to remarkable foolishness (and I don't mean love as in eros). Love leads to
      involvement to the point of personal harm being possible. If you have access,
      read Tomberg's meditation on the Fool, in his Meditations on the Tarot.

      Now where does "spiritual science" fit in? To me spiritual science is two
      things. One, the most important aspect, is found in the Philosophy of Freedom, or
      for some tastes, in Theory of Knowledge. It is a method of cognition. It is new
      and never before possible in the long history of the evolution of consciousness.
      Only now is this possiblity offered to human beings, to learn "living thinking".

      The second thing spiritual science is, is a body of knowledge, or the results
      of spiritual research. To me this is of little importance. Its purpose, as best
      I have managed to understand it, is to occassionally inspire someone to take up
      the cognitive path, that is to learn "how".

      So spiritual science is both a "how" (the cognitive path) and a "what" (the
      results of spiritual research). But it is neither "compassion" or Love. These
      last are qualities of being that may well determine what use is made of the "how"
      and the "what", but neither is "spiritual science". Spiritual science, in the
      sense I understand it, is a kind of way station. We pass throught it on the way
      to other matters. It is like a tool, very useful for a time, but not of the
      timeless, or the eternal, in and of itself.

      If one wants to "know" the eternal and the timeless, "now", then spiritual
      science gives one of the best means (the "how"), and some of the best inspiration
      (the "what").

      warm regards,
      joel