Sense of smell-Re: our materialistic culture

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hello, those with noses and skins,

      Demetrue writes:

      > > Danny, I have also noticed we have a problem with our sense of smell
      > > as well!
      > > At some point in childhood, it is like we close our noses :o), and
      > > by
      > > adolescenthood we are bathing away every human smell and masking it
      > > with
      > > artificial perfumes,

      Somewhere Steiner talks about the five senses, and the twelve senses. In all
      my moving round the globe, I have rid myself of some of the lectures, but
      does anyone have these?

      I believe Steiner says that the sense of smell is generally the weakest of
      the five senses, one that we will develop only much later (later meaning?).
      He talks about the Court of one of the French kings (Louis XVI?--not sure
      which) and about the manipulations that went on in the use of perfumes. The
      higher evil forces can work on us, especially because we have such an
      underdeveloped sense of smell. Something like that Steiner says, but i am
      not quoting and perhaps not even paraphrasing very well.

      So help, anyone! 5 senses? 12 senses?

      Blessings,
      elaine

      so that we smell more like plastic Barbie dolls
      > > than
      > > real human beings! Has anyone else noticed that they don;t fully
      > > indulge
      > > their sense of smell?
      >
      > This is the tendency to asepticize and hide.
      >
      > Where all the flower's gone?....
      >
      > Once I thought to the idea of having relaxing essential oils being
      > diffused in the subways and nice classical music, this would help
      > people relaxing before and after work, and maybe be more
      > open to the others and speak to each others...
      >
      > There is someplace I think in Europe where they do have classical
      > music in public transportations.
      >
      > Man has to become more of an earthlean and indulge in the flowers and
      > the earth, more than it's living-room, TV, and car. This would give
      > humans something in common: the earth.
      >
      > Danny
      >

      >=====
      >'There's a fine line between participation and mockery'.
      >--Scott Adams
      >
      >'My advice to you is to get married. If you find a good wife, you'll be
      >happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher'.
      >
      >'True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing'.
      >--Socrates
    • Danny F.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
        --- elaine upton <elaineupton@...> wrote:
        > From: "elaine upton" <elaineupton@...>

        > So help, anyone! 5 senses? 12 senses?

        This is terribly silly I find to have come to think we only have 5
        senses, again the feeble-mindedness of our age wants to see(humans
        have become mostly bleak sight beings(TV watcher pattern)) for real
        only what is most easy and conspicuous...

        In the book 'Study of Man' Steiner goes as follow:

        " First we have four senses; the sense of touch, sense of life,
        of movement, and balance. These senses are mostly penetrated by will
        activity."

        (...)

        " The next senses - sense of smell, sense of taste, sense of sight,
        sense of warmth - are chieftly feeling senses."

        (...)

        " I have yet to add the ego sense, thought sense, sense of hearing,
        and sense of speech are predominantly knowledge senses..."
        -----

        Correction: sight beings, and ego beings(smile)...

        Is someone on the list knowing enough the Aristotelian categories to
        relate them to the 12 senses? A young soul..(smile)

        (Else I might as well do it when I find time...)

        Take care,
        Danny

        =====

        http://im.yahoo.com