Re: No Cross, No Crown

  • 888
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2002
      Dear Stephen,

      > Well what do you know...are we agreeing for once?
      >
      > Quiting while ahead,

      It was nice to see you getting along nicely with Starman at this
      point. You know, when agreeing with Starman you are allowed to sign
      off with a hearty "Warm Regards" or "Cordially"- just to let you know
      what the protocol is here.

      Now the line from Matthew 10:34 that you and Starman agreed upon
      was "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to
      send peace, but a sword."

      It seems to fit with the verse that follows:
      "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
      daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her
      mother in law.
      And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

      Not exactly happy families.

      Contrary to this, Matthew later states:

      "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for
      all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

      Matthew 26:52

      Moreso than any of the other Gospels, Matthew's is one of non-
      violence:

      Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth
      for a tooth:
      But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall
      smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

      Matthew 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love
      thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
      Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that
      curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which
      despitefully use you, and persecute you;
      Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in
      heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good,
      and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
      Matthew 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have
      ye? do not even the publicans the same?
      Matthew 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more
      than others? do not even the publicans so?

      So the line about the "Prince of Peace" bringing a sword seems out of
      place in Matthew.

      Uncharacteristically, Dr. Steiner agrees and tells us that this
      scriptural verse has been completely misquoted; implying the reverse
      of what was meant.
      "I have not come to send peace away from this Earth but to send away
      the sword" is Dr. Steiner's rendering of the verse. He then continues:

      "Christ entered into the spiritual sphere of Earth-existence in order
      gradually to rescue it from elements that bring about discord and
      disharmony in mankind. Spiritual Science will establish peace when it
      is truly Christian, in the sense of bringing about the unity of
      religions. It can unite not only those in regions immediately around
      us but can establish peace over the whole Earth, because it
      understands the nature of the deed wrought by the greatest Bringer of
      peace."

      See: The Gospel of Matthew, Rudolf Steiner

      Peace,
      Bruce