OK-Re: compassion-Re: our materialistic culture

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2000
      Ok, John,

      Now, i think i understand what you are saying. I think we are using words
      (once again, maybe like with "classical"?) in different ways. You define
      "compassion" as an emotion. I define it as more than an emotion, far more...
      Compassion for me is, as i said, a *deep seeing* of the Divine. That is
      objective observation, and that is the only science that matters, spiritual
      science included.--

      But if you define "compassion" as you do, as an emotion, then i would agree
      with the rest of what your post says.

      Compassionately (that is my ideal--smile),
      elaine
      P.S. do you want to sign your next post "Scientifically"? (lol, i am teasing
      you, and teasing myself, too...)

    • John Massengale
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
        > "compassion" as an emotion. I define it as more than an emotion, far more...
        > Compassion for me is, as i said, a *deep seeing* of the Divine. That is
        > objective observation, and that is the only science that matters, spiritual
        > science included.--

        From the AOL Merriam Webster Dictionary:

        com*pas*sion (noun)

        [Middle English, from Middle French or Late Latin; Middle French, from Late
        Latin compassion-, compassio, from compati to sympathize, from Latin com- +
        pati to bear, suffer -- more at PATIENT]

        First appeared 14th Century

        : sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to
        alleviate it

        synonym see PITY

        -- com*pas*sion*less (adjective)

        That sounds like an emotion to me. I understand your point, but I don't
        think you will find any dictionary
        that defines "compassion" as a "deep seeing of the divine."
      • Sarah Cherry
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
          >From: "John Massengale" <john@...>
          >
          > > "compassion" as an emotion. I define it as more than an emotion,
          >far more...
          > > Compassion for me is, as i said, a *deep seeing* of the Divine. That is
          > > objective observation, and that is the only science that matters, spiritual
          > > science included.--
          >
          >From the AOL Merriam Webster Dictionary:
          >
          >com*pas*sion (noun)
          >
          >[Middle English, from Middle French or Late Latin; Middle French, from Late
          >Latin compassion-, compassio, from compati to sympathize, from Latin com- +
          >pati to bear, suffer -- more at PATIENT]
          >
          >First appeared 14th Century
          >
          > : sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to
          >alleviate it
          >
          > synonym see PITY
          >
          > -- com*pas*sion*less (adjective)
          >

          >That sounds like an emotion to me. I understand your point, but I
          >don't think you will find any dictionary
          >that defines "compassion" as a "deep seeing of the divine."

          Somehow I don't think it matters who is "right" about a dictionary
          definition. What is important is how we each think and feel so that
          we can communicate and understand each other. Thank you for
          clarifying your position.

          strength and peace to all,

          Sarah