Jachin & Boaz- Fourth Seal

  • 888
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      Boaz was the great-grandfather of King David - his name
      meaning "strength, or it is in strength". Jachin was the high priest
      who assisted the dedication of Solomon's Temple - his name meaning "
      to establish" and united "stability".

      "He cast two bronze pillars... he made pomegranates in two rows
      encircling each network to decorate the capitals on top of the
      pillars. The pillar to the south he named Jakin [Jachin] and the one
      to the north Boaz. The capitals on top were in the shape of lilies." -
      1 Kings 7:15,18,21,22.

      The head Mason, Hiram Abif, made the brass pillars.
      In Qabalah, Jachin and Boaz are the names of the pillars of Mercy (J)
      and Severity(B). They appear in the Tarot deck on the High Priestess
      card.

      Here is Dr. Steiner's J & B Occult seal:
      http://www.waldorfcritics.org/active/artgallery/P33-Stuttgart.html

      "The Two Pillars. In these pillars is indicated the mystery of the
      part played in human evolution by red oxygenated blood and blue, or
      carbonated blood."

      Here they are again:
      http://www.waldorfcritics.org/active/artgallery/P21-Stuttgart.html

      The two pillars represent the Tree of Life (oxygen- Hauschka calls
      biogen) and the Tree of Knowledge (carbon).

      "In the fourth seal we see the Pillars, one of them planted on the
      sea, the other on dry land. These Pillars indicate the secret of the
      part played in human evolution by the red blood, rich in oxygen, and
      the blue of bluish red, rich in carbonic acid. The evolution of the I
      of man during the Earth epoch finds physical expression in the
      interaction between the red blood, without which there could be no
      Life, and the blue, without which there could be no Knowledge. Blue
      blood is the physical expression of those forces which give us
      Knowledge- forces which, however, taken by themselves and in their
      human form, are very nearly akin to Death. Red blood is the physical
      expression of Life- which however in its human form and by itself,
      could never give us conscious Knowledge. Together and in their mutual
      interaction they represent the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life
      or the two pillars on the foundation of which the life and cognition
      of the I can grow and develop to that degree of maturity where at
      long last man will be fully united with the universal forces of the
      Earth.

      "The Initiate foresees a future condition of mankind in which the
      Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life .... will be intertwined and
      united within man himself. At the present stage the aspirant to
      spiritual development should inscribe the message of the two pillars
      in his heart. Separated though they still are, they summon us to
      transcend the present state of mankind and to direct our footsteps to
      the place where through our widened consciousness the two will be
      interwoven - a secret that is indicated in the J-B. The verses
      inscribed on either pillar will bring home to us their meaning. Those
      on the first pillar relate to Knowledge, those on the second to Life
      itself. Thus at the former stage the formative, creative powers are
      revealed to man; at the latter he himself reveals them, magically.
      Progression from the mere faculty of cognition to that of magical
      activity in life is the significance of the transition from the power
      latent in the first inscription to that which is latent in the
      second."
      Occult Seals and columns- Rudolf Steiner

      You can read more about the fourth seal (and the others)
      here:
      http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Lectures/OccSigns/19070916p01.html
      The above is the lecture Occult Signs & Symbols.

      -Bruce
    • elaineupton2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        Thanks, dear Bruce, for this beautiful post with web sites. I have
        studied this Fourth Apocalyptic Seal (somewhat) in Steiner's
        lectures: The Apocalypse of St. John, but have not seen this seal in
        such brilliant color (even through the illusion of a web page).

        In your post I read this quote from Steiner on the two pillars of
        Joachin (Red blood, oysgen, Mercy, Life, Magic) and Boaz (Blue
        blood, carbon,Severity, Death/stability, Knowledge, correspondingly):

        > "The Initiate foresees a future condition of mankind in which the
        > Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life .... will be intertwined
        and
        > united within man himself. At the present stage the aspirant to
        > spiritual development should inscribe the message of the two
        pillars
        > in his heart. Separated though they still are, they summon us to
        > transcend the present state of mankind and to direct our footsteps
        > the place where through our widened consciousness the two will be
        > interwoven - a secret that is indicated in the J-B. The verses
        > inscribed on either pillar will bring home to us their meaning.
        Those
        > on the first pillar relate to Knowledge, those on the second to
        Life
        > itself. Thus at the former stage the formative, creative powers
        are
        > revealed to man; at the latter he himself reveals them, magically.
        > Progression from the mere faculty of cognition to that of magical
        > activity in life is the significance of the transition from the
        power
        > latent in the first inscription to that which is latent in the
        > second."
        > Occult Seals and columns- Rudolf Steiner

        Good news here! What come to mind and heart right now especially is
        the use of Knowledge in modern science, a science that is, often
        still, though not always, one of Knowledge without Life forces.
        Think of bio-technology, genetic engineering of shadow life forms,
        and think of our nuclear capabilities, a pressing matter today.
        Recently in the news we hear of how what appear as monstrous forms
        have taken hold of babies born in Iraq, babies whose birth/life is
        affected by the U.S.'s use of depleted uranium in the "Gulf War" in
        the early 90's. What technology we have! What use we put it to!
        Sometime after the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and the other on
        Nagasaki, I believe Neils Bohr wrote a paper expressing the need for
        caution in our use of these weapons of mass destruction. Still, the
        U.S., along with perhaps Russia from the former Soviet Union, has
        more weapons, apparently, of mass destruction than Iraq or any other
        nation. Yet, it seems to me that it is up to us as individuals and
        together in (Christened) groups, to bring the forces of Life to
        counterbalance these forces of death. Our task, it seems to me, is
        evident, but the particulars of how to fulfill this task is
        something still to be learned on the path of Initiation.

        Pray we walk firmly on the path!

        With trembling and gratitude for the opportunities,
        elaine
      • Angus J. MacLeod
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
          Dear Friends-

          Albrecht Durer's woodcuts of the seven seals were published in 1498.
          The first modern appearence of these seals was in Eliphas
          Levi's "Rituel De La Haute Magie", 1860. Steiner's versions are
          almost exactly the same as Levi's. This book was compiled with "Dogme
          De La Haute Magie" 1855 and translated into English
          as "Transcendental Magic Its Doctrine and Ritual".

          Also, another source indicates that Boaz was the tenth and last son
          of Cain. His name means 'Son of Slaying' for he was responsible for
          his father's death.

          Hoping this helps shed more light on this Mystery...

          -A