Re: R: [anthroposophy] the gap between rich and poor

  • DRStarman2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2002
      In a message dated 9/18/2002 11:29:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, evert.hoff@... writes:

      Hi Andrea,

      You are quoting from the World Watch Institute. There is a book that I
      would like to recommend that critically analyzed the statistics quoted
      by the World Watch Institute.

      The book is The Skeptical Environmentalist, by Bjorn Lomborg. The first
      chapter can be downloaded for free from http://www.lomborg.com. The book
      covers not only statistics about the environment, but also about
      poverty.

      The author is a statistician. He has found that some environmental
      organisations exaggerate the statistics and mislead people, and think
      that it is justified, because they are fighting for a good cause.
      However, misleading statistics doesn't help with improving poverty or
      the environment, because it makes it impossible to determine which
      actions have already been successful. Accurate statistics can give
      momentum to much more positive and focused actions.

      Evert

      *******Yes, unfortunately in the debate of opinions there are people who want their opinion to win so much that they distort the statistics to make up their own 'facts'. Then everyone has to agree with their opinion because such-and-such is a 'fact'. I've become more and more skeptical over time about anything someone asserts to be a Fact. People who are so fanatic about their opinions are as if at war---and as the saying goes, In war, the first casualty is Truth.
      -starman