Digest Number 171

  • Engemi
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2000
      Dear Friends
      From your discussion i noticed there is a lot said about Africa. Well,
      let me tell you, as i write, it is raining. Africa is wet, everywhere
      it is flooded. The Kruger National Park had to close its gates as many
      places are under water and many tourists had to be flown out by
      helicopter. Our own river is so high over the bridge that we have not
      been able to cross it for weeks. This is Africa as most of us don't
      know it, and it reminds one that it was indeed in Africa that Noah's
      Ark stranded against Ararat.
      However, interesting how partially we are (and have to be) to the soil
      of our birth. How it seems as if the map of the soil exists as
      blueprint in our bodies, it's mountains in the flesh, it's rivers in
      our blood, just as Steiner explained a map of the constellations at
      birth is created in the "Gehirn". I couldn't read all, but enjoyed
      what i saw of the various countries you wrote about; America, Canada
      etc, made me long to travel and get to know it all the way you know
      In my country it is mostly the soil itself in its many splendoured
      colours and variants which is important because we are a nation of
      farmers. From the thick black gooey earth in the valleys of the
      Lowveldt, to the deep red rich and fertile soil, from the golden sand
      of the Namib to the creamy white sands of the beaches, from the
      grayish stonefilled earth in the Karoo where the deepest deposits of
      fossils can be found, to the coppery green deposits in the rocky
      valleys of the Eastern Cape, our multicultural and multicoloured
      society is mirrored. We live in exciting times, in an exciting
      country. All around us racism is being addressed, along with crime,
      fraud and sexism, in as many different ways as there are houses being
      built, as people die of AIDS, as cars are being stolen or children
      being born. Nobody knows if we will be able to get anything right in
      the end, but almost everyone is trying.

      What we have here is built on the legacy of the Sphinx - gnothi
      seauton; the rain dances of the San, the initiation rites of the
      Masai, the Zulu and others, on the survival of the fittest-law of this
      continent's animal kingdom, on the indigenous art and music of great
      simplicity, on the various peoples who were here when the Huguenots,
      the 1820 settlers, the Prisoners of war and all the rest came to
      settle here, as well as on the settlers who brought to us a part of
      Europe in it's richness and variety: the Classicism and enlivening of
      Mozart, Schubert, Verdi, all of it, the knowledge of following stars
      and building roads and creating cities.

      And in this soil of Africa, these seeds were planted together, and
      now, here, at the beginning of this new millenium, we have something
      not at all European, nor any more totally African; we have something
      so much its own, that it can stand on its own. It is something that
      bears light, and this light is sent to the far corners of Africa which
      used to be called the Dark Continent.
      Our president Thabo Mbeki speaks of the African Renaiscance: it is
      happening right now. And i am part of it, i am glad.
      Dear Elaine, Steiner never said the Red Indian must die out, he said
      they WILL die out. They have inherent in them the forces of death
      because they are the oldest living race. You can see this in the
      wonderful countenanc in which the nose becomes almost the beak of a
      bird soaring upwards with its spirit already part of what lives in the
      stars. On the other side the African race is the youngest. You can
      find it in the happy childlike countenance, the laughter the joy the
      singing and dancing of the not yet weighed down soul. The future
      belongs to Africa, and that is why it is so interesting to hear Mbeki
      speak of the renaiscance. It is not for us living here alone, it is
      for all who will open their hearts, and minds to experience what will
      be there for everyone.
      I have never been to America. But i do think there could be some
      similarities, except for the fact that wise old man Saturn rules the
      America's, where as Mercury, the trickster, the messenger, the
      quickwitted youth rules Africa.
      But all these things are there for us to take or leave as we want to.
      I think wat matters is to know so much, and yes, so little, but to be
      able to recognize the grace of having all these differences and yet be
      able to talk about it as friends. As i write here, on the radio plays
      the Kaiser Concerto by Beethoven directed by Daniel Barenbaum. Just
      before this the Soweto String Quartet (four very talented - black -
      violinists) played a medley of local folk melodies in their very
      distinct, yet classical sound. All of this on a program called This is
      Classic. Only the guy choosing the music decides what is going to be
      the evening's classic menu.Who cares, all of it is really good! Pity i
      can't play it to you.
      My architect and friend, an anthroposophist has designed a house for
      my daughter from straw bales and clay, like they used to do in ancient
      times. He is not going "back to nature", he is going towards the
      future. A house like this keeps the air much cooler in our climate. It
      is much more indigenous than glass and concrete for our country, and
      it costs less.
      Is this being classic or hiper modern?
      Salagathle. I wish you a good night

      1. American soil-Re:American Anthroposophy
      From: "elaine upton" <elaineupton@...>
      2. Re: 2 initiates?
      From: Danny Fortier <premabrahma@...>
      3. Re: 2 initiates?
      From: "elaine upton" <elaineupton@...>
      4. Re: American soil-Re:American Anthroposophy
      From: Danny Fortier <premabrahma@...>
      5. Re: American soil-Re:American Anthroposophy
      From: "John Massengale" <john@...>
      6. Re: American soil-Re:American Anthroposophy
      From: Spindi111@...
      7. Re: American soil-Re:American Anthroposophy
      From: "John Massengale" <john@...>
      8. Re: American soil-Re:American Anthroposophy
      From: "elaine upton" <elaineupton@...>
      9. classical?
      From: "elaine upton" <elaineupton@...>
      10. Opinions?