  • DRStarman2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the
      Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the
      'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras enabling you to
      consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as
      well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are well known to
      many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phase
      and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with
      specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. We begin with the
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 3 *
      Es dämpfet herbstlich sich
      Der Sinne Reizesstreben;
      In Lichtesoffenbarung mischen
      Der Nebel dumpfe Schleier sich.
      Ich selber schau in Raumesweiten
      Des Herbstes Winterschlaf.
      Der Sommer hat an mich
      Sich selber hingegeben.

      There is muffled Autumnally
      The Senses' streaming Charms;
      In Light-Revealings is mingled
      The Fog's musty Veil.
      I myself see in Space-Widenesses
      The Autumn's Winter-Sleep.
      The Summer has to me
      Its own self given over.

      This week's mantram:
      Last week, that which was received spiritually from the Summer Light and
      Warmth was felt as an ongoing power within releasing the fruit of its
      working, to evolve a Self out of the World-Self. This is because, at the time
      of change from Summer to Winter, we cease to be conscious of the external
      world and instead become conscious again of ourselves, as if awakening from a
      summer dream-state. Our Nature-Consciousness strives to become inner Self
      Consciousness, but at first we may feel fear due to no longer being able to
      lean on outer things for consciousness, which is why the symbol of the
      warrior archangel is placed before us at Michaelmas, summoning us to have
      courage, for we are not going to die as our summer nature-consciousness
      wanes, but rather wake up. This week's verse is the first appearance of
      Autumn dulling the senses' summer brilliance; but that which has been gained
      from the summer-experience now becomes our inner self-experience.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Leo from
      August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era. The symbolic image of the Lion done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post as a JPEG, although
      it may go through to you or not depending on your settings.

      Sunday September 1st. Moon Cancer. Firminus.
      Monday September 2nd. Moon Cancer. Absalom.
      Tuesday September 3rd. Moon Leo. Eusebius.
      Wednesday September 4th Mon Leo. . Marcellus, School of Peter. Moses.
      Thursday September 5th. Moon Leo. Nathaniel (he who in John's
      Gospel was named a 'true Israelite').
      Friday September 6th. Moon Virgo. New Moon. Zacharias the Prophet. 1729
      Mendelssohn born. 1809 the Biblical critic Bruno Bauer
      SaturdaySeptember 7th Moon Virgo. Regina.

      Dr. Starman

      As can be seen, the verses are very tied to the seaons; since the seaons are
      reversed in the Southern Hemisphere, this week's verse there is #48:

      * M A N T R A # 4 8 *
      Im Lichte, das aus Weltenhöhen
      Der Seele machtvoll fliessen will,
      Erscheine, lösend Seelenrätsel