Re: Christophosist

  • joksu57
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
      --- In anthroposophy@y..., "fireofthe12" <fireofthe12@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Joksu,
      > (There is an interesting "story" connected to this question-
      > > meeting, but probably it is too much "off-topic".)
      >
      > Do tell- the listmembers are all ears.

      joksu writes:
      Hello Bruce!

      OK, but little background first.

      Mr. Ervast had an exceptional talent in languages. E.g. he learned
      to read french at the age of five or six and when he was twelve he
      was writing a comparable grammatic concerning nine different
      languages. So translating Dr. Steiner's answers was from this point
      of view, was an easy job for him.

      An other thing I want to point out, is that Mr. Ervast was a
      rather "shy" man. He said that it is painful for him to "expose"
      himself to the public. He didn't like any praise/attention to his
      personality and he never spoke publicly about any "special abilities"
      he might have; such things could only distract the attention away
      from the "main thing", the significance and teachings of Jesus
      Christ. So this episode is told by a student and a friend of Mr.
      Ervast, when PE was already dead (which happened in 1934).

      After his lecture cycle Dr. Steiner held a meeting, where he answered
      several questions. At least part of the questions were made by Mr.
      Ervast. Some of the answers of Dr. Steiner were quite long (& profoud)
      and he didn't divide them to several parts, but "told the whole
      story" and then waited for the translator to do his job. Mr. Ervast
      translated without hesitation even Dr. Steiner's longest answers to
      finnish language. This made quite an impression to RS and according a
      theosophical magazine from 1912 Dr. Steiner assured that he had never
      seen anything like this. Well, mayby RS was just polite and Mr.
      Ervast had exceptional memory, but there is an other explanation also.

      Mr. Ervast told later privately to a pupil and a friend of his that
      he "wrote down" the answers to "astral matter" and from "there"
      translated them. If that is the case, and when we remember
      the "clairvoyant powers" of Dr. Steiner, he could certainly make some
      interesting observations and so the amazement is justified.

      Bruce wrote:
      > It is interesting that you talk of "survival" and these three
      > qualities: Food, Sex and Death.
      > L. Ron Hubbard thought you could boil all human drives down to the
      > drive to survive. I noticed in the latest Phil Dick film "Minority
      > Report", one of the founders of the precog system, mouths this same
      > philosophy. (She's the one in the greenhouse.)
      >
      > I have always been uncomfortable with this philosophy- what do you
      > think?

      joksu writes:
      In this connection I surely share your uncomfortable feelings. About
      L.Ron Hubbard and his Scientology I think that I use the old
      principle: "If you don't have anything nice to say about a person, be
      then quiet." So I have nothing to say about Hubbard! What makes
      scientology dangerous, lies in the fact that is has some small pieces
      of thruth incorporated to its web of lies.

      There can easily be something misleading, when one talks about the
      drive to survive. I don't approve the idea to reduce "everything" to
      this point. In an earlier message I have delt with this question from
      an other angle: (I really love it, when sometimes I can copy/paste
      and it's not necessary to "translate" all the time!)

      "It is said that mankind has five "enemies": ignorance, selfishness,
      sickness, poverty and death. It can also be said that selfishness
      is "the worst sickness" and death is the "greatest
      poverty". So we can also speak about three enemies and there's a
      correspondense to our thinking, feeling and "will-functions". "

      Warm Regards
      Joksu