A 'Loose Screw' in the Human Mind?

  • .
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28 12:18 PM

      Koestler believes something went wrong in our evolution His hypothesis is that “the explosive growth of the human brain resulted in faulty co-ordination between ancient and recent brain structures, and thus in a split between emotion and reason.”

      In particular he explores the evidence of repeated patterns in human thinking and behaviour, which expose a continual conflict between what we can call 'Faith' and 'Reason', and 'Emotion' and 'Rationality'. Our general failure to comprehend complex issues in a holistic way, and the general state of the world as evidence of a mind dominated by supposedly 'rational' thinking and values.

      Koestler’s argument is that most of the catastrophes of human history have resulted from the fact that these two controlling sectors of the brain have failed to work in concert with one another. Where one might expect reason to check aggression, it has more often than not fostered it.

      He also writes about the pathology of devotion and the need for humans to identify with groups and ideology and the potential evil that can ensue and that the only remedy is self knowledge, however thats getting off the track of my point  - which I also see Steiner alludes to in the anthroposophy introduction..

      "Inasmuch as these lectures are intended to present for your contemplation the relation between anthroposophy and the human Gemüt, it is my wish that they may really be grasped not merely by the head but especially by the Gemüt; for at bottom, all anthroposophy is largely futile in the world and among men if it is not absorbed by the Gemüt, if it carries no warmth into this human Gemüt.

      "It is indispensable that anthroposophical knowledge, anthroposophical cognition, should stream into the human Gemüt as a force. And the way leads from the dry and abstract, although exact conceptions of today to that goal where the living enlightenment taken into our Gemüt once more confronts us with something as full of life as was in olden times the glorious picture of Michael in battle with the Dragon. This infuses into our cosmogony something very different from abstract concepts; and furthermore, do not imagine that such experience is without consequences for the totality of man's life on earth!"

      I don't know if anyone would like to comment on Steiners quotation or whether  it is even relative in this kind of  "intellectual forum that offers a training ground to mold and test thinking and good AP research and study" :)

      On the positive side Arthur Koestler once wrote that the great breakthroughs in science and art stem from "the sudden interlocking of two previously unrelated skills, or matrices of thought." He defines this process as the "act of creation" and suggests that most great new theories and discoveries are born of this "bisociative pattern of creative synthesis."