  • DRStarman2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the
      Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the
      'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras enabling you to
      consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as
      well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are well known to
      many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phase
      and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with
      specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. We begin with the
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 2 *
      Das Lichte aus Weltenweiten,
      Im Innern lebt es kräftig fort:
      Es wird zum Seelenlichte
      Und leuchtet in die Geistestiefen,
      Um Früchte zu entbinden,
      Die Menschenselbst aus Weltenselbst
      Im Zeitenlaufe reifen lassen.

      The Light out of World-Widenesses
      In my Inner lives as a continuing power;
      It turns into Soul-Light
      And shines in Spirit-deeps,
      The Fruit to unbind,
      That Man's Self out of World's Self
      In Time's course will allow to ripen.

      This week's mantram:
      Last week, one felt the spiritual 'seed' that was planted in the summer
      'waking dream-state' reach a stage of ripening where it may begin to 'lend'
      to us a 'spiritual Self' instead; and we had a strong fore-sensing this will
      be able to join with the deepest inner forces which the ordinary self would
      not be able to tap into. That which was received spiritually from the Summer
      Light and Warmth was felt as an ongoing power within releasing the fruit of
      its working, to evolve a Self out of the World-Self. This is because, at the
      time of change from Summer to Winter, we cease to be conscious of the
      external world and instead become conscious again of ourselves, as if
      awakening from a summer dream-state. Our Nature-Consciousness strives to
      become inner Self Consciousness, but at first we may feel fear due to no
      longer being able to lean on outer things for consciousness, which is why the
      symbol of the warrior archangel is placed before us at Michaelmas, summoning
      us to have courage---for we are not going to die as our summer
      nature-consciousness wanes, but rather wake up.
      This week's verse is the first appearance of Autumn dulling the senses'
      summer brilliance; but that which has been gained from the summer-experience
      now becomes our inner self-experience. The Light from the world begins to
      become our inner light, and loosen the fruit of our summer-experience, so
      that a new Self will in time be born from it.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Leo from
      August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era. The symbolic image of the Lion done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post as a JPEG, although
      it may go through to you or not depending on your settings.

      Sunday August 25th. Moon Aries. Ludwig IX of France, the Crusader. 1900
      Nietzche died. 1844 Herder born.
      Monday August 26th . Moon Aries. Samuel the Isarelite Priest.
      Tuesday August 27th Moon Taurus. 1770 Hegel born.
      Wednesday August 28th. Moon Taurus. Augustine, the famous Church leader died
      430. 1749 Goethe born.
      Thursday August 29th. Moon Taurus. Beheading of John the Baptist.
      Friday August 30th. Moon Gemini. Last Quarter. 1856 John Ross, the
      discoverer of the
      magnetic North Pole died.
      Saturday August 31st Moon Gemini. Joshua, the successor to Moses. 1821 the
      Natural Scientist Helmholtz born.

      Dr. Starman
    • Evert Hoff
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2002
        If I want to follow the calendar of the soul in the southern hemisphere,
        is it a simple matter of reading them 26 weeks out of phase?

        Evert
      • DRStarman2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2002
          evert.hoff@... writes:

          > If I want to follow the calendar of the soul in the
          > southern hemisphere, is it a simple matter of reading them 26 weeks out of phase?
          > Evert

          *******That's a good question. Opposite verses ARE the polar of each other---you can tell by the similarity of phrasing--- but it seems to me that, since we start with the first verse at Easter, which is the first Sunday following the first Full Moon following the Vernal Equinox (using an astrological formula worked out by early Christians for the Northern Hemisphere), then there should be an opposite 'Easter' in the Southern Hemisphere, the first Sunday after the first Full Moon following the AUTUMNAL Eqinox. Thus, the Calander mantra will not be the exactly opposite verse every time. The opposite one would still be close, though.
          This touches on the question of tropical vs. sidereal zodiacs in astrology. The Sun is in the constellation Pisces for the whole world, while that's Spring in the Northern Hemisphere but Fall in the South. What things are universal, true for thw whole earth, and what things are opposites in the opposite hemispheres? What do people here think?

          Dr. Starman
        • eurythmy
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
            there are many ways to look at it and many people gives good reasons and insight about what to do.
            For my part when I look at the verse and its opposite or in a quartet I fancy to have a thought to the other hemisphere inhabitants. So if they start the same way as I do our fancy can meet!
            Franky