Bruce-Re: Pietro Archiati-Re: Thomas A'Kempis- no saint

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2000
      Dear Bruce,

      It seems I am responding one by one to you all on this thread. I appreciate
      what you say about the daughter movements of anthroposophy being well
      grounded in Australia.

      >Anthroposophy's daughter movements are well known for their "doing" out
      >in the world. Here in Australia the spread of biodynamics is unmatched
      >anywhere else in the world. Then we have the education and curative
      >education. These things are quite healthy when "out there" in the wider
      >community.

      This is good to hear about Australia. In the U.S., the biodynamic farms are
      highly valued by some, and that is good. There are, of course, lots of
      organic farms in the U.S., and many people don't distinguish biodynamic and
      organic. Most of us are just grateful to see these healthier practices
      emerging.

      As for Waldorf schools here, I am sure much good happens, and the schools
      have waiting lists. Even so, there are problems. Overall, there is a raging
      controversy about Waldorf Schools in this country...(seems to have started
      in California, but now spreads over the country).

      It's when they become separatist, and a "closed circle" that
      >the problems start- cultistness, conceitedness, paralysis etc.

      The problem here is that this becoming separatist is not what is even
      considered or perceived. There is a certain smugness that takes over, and
      lip service that "whoever wants to join can join."
      ((...)))

      >We can understand how certain groups might wish to "maintain purity" by
      >carefully vetting and locking out those who might sully that purity.

      Purity? "Sully that purity"? That is an interesting concept. I am sure you
      don't mean it in the Nazi sense, but that's how some German anthropops in
      the U.S. sound, like Nazis, speaking of "purity," which, it turns out in
      deeds, is another word for exclusiveness, intolerance of difference,
      ossification, worship of the past, seeing "them and us", and so on. This is
      part of the raging controversy here. Yet, the controversy is still at the
      talking stage, talking among a few here and there (well, maybe that's a
      start...)

      ((...))
      >My old mentor said that in forming and going to study groups we're doing
      >the one thing that Rudolf Steiner ever asked us to do to. She didn't
      >like the idea of advertising at all, but I think giving notice is not in
      >the same category.

      Yes, I too see that advertising and giving notice are not the same.
      Accessibility is an issue, not just for handicapped, but for people fo
      different cultures, races, classes.

      Study groups? What did STeiner say about this? Please, share more...

      Love,