Joel-Re: Pietro Archiati-Re: Thomas A'Kempis- no saint

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2000
      Dear Joel,

      How gratifying to read your letter here, and to turn to your website and
      read more of your work. I have not read all that is there, yet what I did
      read is helpful and inspiring.--I find your dream wherein you see that the
      Anthoposophic Society in America is not connected to American soil to be an
      important indication of what is to me everywhere evident in the U.S.--

      I shall continue to read your work on the website. Meantime, I am struck by
      what you say about following the Goethean discipline and by your engagement
      of step 1, what you call 'sacrifice of thoughts'. This keeps coming up for
      me lately --this thing that some eastern religions call going beyond "mind
      mesh" (sufism), or "beginner's mind" (buddhism). I find "sacrifice of
      thoughts" a more helpful term, pointing to a methodology that speaks to me.
      "Sacrifice" is making sacred, rearranging to make sacred, giving or losing,
      submitting to the higher Will or Divine in us, dying in order to be born.

      Also, your name for the Anthroposophic Society --what is is, Society for
      Preservation , Conservation --pointing to the bureaucratic nature?--I have
      to laugh! Yet, it is sadly an apt description, in my experience....

      Thank you for your work of imaging and en-visioning. Your soul accompanies
      me, as I find my way with this problem of the "grave paralysis" of the
      Society in the world, and the ungroundedness of the Society in the U.S.

      Blessings,
      elaine