Re: [anthroposophy] reasons for hope?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
      Thanks Robert, I like your suggestions.

      #1... There are increasingly good books in the 'new age'
      section of most book stores. By good books I mean books
      which
      are attempting to create bridges between the infinite
      mysteries and the daily lives of the readers. Many of these
      new books are less egotistical and more objective. The other
      side of this shiny coin is that in the science section of
      bookstores we are beginning to see more and more books trying
      to address mysterious phenomena; there will always be the
      absolute denials and refutation of spiritual reality, but
      many of the books from the science section are standing on
      the edge of the razor blade and acknowledging the confusion.

      I take a bit of hope from these trends. An example of the
      former type of book is "The After-Life Experiments". An
      example of the later is "Who's afraid of Schodinger's cat"...

      #2... There is a perverse hope to be taken in the devastating
      and tragic results of our societies blind confidence in
      technology. We are seeing more and more the futility of
      merely throwing money and technique at our problems. Not all
      of us are seeing this, but more and more people are feeling
      the need to ask deeper questions surrounding issues like
      education, health and social welfare. As more of us wake up
      to the impossibilities we face, the world begins to take on a
      new hue; a soft purple light can be discerned within the
      festering darkness. See Netfuture.com

      #3...And let us take hope from the fact of Bradford.

      #4... The fact that a piece of art as consistently beautiful
      and swampy as "Time is the Revelator" by Gillian Welsch was
      produced in our times is a wonderful sign that the human
      spirit is doing fine and getting ready to do some good hard
      work. Buy the cd and see what I mean.

      That's it for now...

      Carol

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • studioeditions2002
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
        Don't spend too much time on the educate-yourself.org site. I think
        if all the facts on this site were put into a bag of salt, with only
        the true facts able to be shaken out, there wouldn't be a large
        harvest -- there would be some precious truths though. What's written
        about the "Knights Templar" contradicts severely what RS said about
        them in his lectures. There's a serious problem in simple logic, with
        sweeping all-encompassing statements about ALL wealthy political
        figures and nearly All government. Who would want to spend much time
        and energy to extract the elements of truth in this "extreme zone,"
        wrapped in opaque clouds of paranoia, as much if not more anxiety
        generated as it's seeking to alleviate? In my perusal of this site, I
        sensed a lack of balance; I did not come across any references to
        Christ to balance so much that is written about Satan. Humanity has
        Christ for all satanic confrontation; after all, Satan is a god. I
        would need to search further, but then again...

        There have been several books over the past several decades about the
        use of children in satanic rituals. I recall one written by one of
        the children who survived into adulthood. But to imply that ALL law
        enforcement in the US, the FBI for example, is doing nothing about it
        and is even conspiratorily involved... Feet washing is needed here,
        and a lot of other washing as well. Salt's good for this.

        Christ is the Hope of the World. And John's Revelation reveals that
        good, or the aims of the proper spiritual guidance for the evolvement
        of humanity will triumph on Earth. The White Horseman who returns for
        the Battle of Armageddon is humanity with the Higher Self developed
        and able to be effective on Earth, ruling not out of egotism but with
        "the iron rod" of the developed Higher Self. The White Horseman of
        old was humanity given the crown of the king, but who had not earned
        it and did not deserve it -- hence increasing social and personal
        decadence through the red, black and pale horses. The White Horseman
        is man who has earned his kingly crown to rule through the emergence
        of the Higher Self. "Lord of Lord and King of Kings" - the Higher
        Self of humanity within each developed soul, written on the thigh,
        physical man, limbs and will. This will take a lot longer than
        2003.

        Martha

      • Robert Mason
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2002
          Aug. 5

          Thanks to all who responded to my query. It'll
          take me a while to digest and respond to all. I've
          taken on more email than I can handle in the little
          time I get online: two lists plus private
          correspondence. I'm 'way behind.

          Just a general response for now: Like they say:
          it takes all kinds to make a world, even the Anthro
          world.

          RM

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Robert Mason

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 13, 2002
              Aug 13

              To Carol, who wrote:

              >>#1... There are increasingly good books in the
              'new age'
[...]

              Robert writes:
              I've been turning this over in my mind for a while,
              asking: Is this "New Age" stuff a good thing, or
              not? -- I've been having some trouble coming up
              with an answer.

              Perhaps a move away from crude materialism in the
              mass culture is a step in the right direction, but
              not necessarily altogether good. The New Age
              trends can be turned to evil, as is being attempted
              by Creme's "Maitreya". New Agism *could* be
              manipulated into black magic. On the other hand,
              besides the obvious benefits that can follow in
              culture from an increased awareness of soul-spirit
              realities, there might also be the benefit that
              human beings after death might be less susceptible
              to evil influences keeping them earth-bound and
              using them for harmful ends. But this is a
              speculation on my part.

              Such efforts as *The Afterlife Experiments* might
              be good up to a point, but there is a fallacy
              inherent in investigating soul-spiritual matters by
              using the methods of "natural science":

              -- from *Theosophy*, Addendum #13:
              "It is, indeed, natural to demand, for instance,
              that the statements of the seer in this domain
              should be proved by experiments corresponding to
              the scientific mode of thinking. . . . The
              spiritual world, however, will not allow itself to
              be dictated to."

              <http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Books/GA009/English/GA009_addenda.html>

              As for quantum physics: This was well underway in
              Steiner's day, and there was much talk that the
              crude materialism of 19th Century science had been
              superseded. Steiner wasn't buying it; he remarked
              that this "new physics" was at base still very much
              materialistic. That's my recollection, anyway;
              unhappily, I don't have the direct quote.

              A world-view that encompasses reincarnation, karma,
              invisible beings, etc. is not necessarily proof
              against materialism. Indeed, Der Doktor often
              remarked on the materialism in the old Theosophical
              Society, with her doctrine of the "permanent atom",
              the talk of "vibrations", etc. -- One can find the
              classic statement of "occult materialism" in the
              infamous "Mahatma Letter on God", by one of the
              TS's "Mahatmas":

              http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/mahatma/ml-10.htm

              The more virulent forms of occult materialism are
              deeply evil, seeking to divert earth-evolution into
              some cosmic anti-world -- as outlined in Bondarev's
              "Good and Evil".

              -- If one is inclined toward optimism, I suppose
              one could find reason for hope in the change in
              mass-consciousness as shown in the New Age
              movement. If one is inclined toward pessimism, one
              can find in this plenty of cause for worry,
              especially given the impending incarnation of
              Ahriman. Steiner warned us that
              Ahriman-in-the-flesh will make a mighty effort to
              turn the new clairvoyance and magic to his
              purposes. The outcome of this struggle is not
              settled in advance, as far as I know.

              Thanks for your comments,

              Robert Mason

              HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
              http://www.hotjobs.com
            • Carol
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 13, 2002
                I appreciate your comments very much Mr. Mason. And, of
                course, I wouldn't want to totalize the hope that I take from
                certain shifts in bookstores. The shift I sense is hopeful
                to the extent that people are loosening the tight grip they
                fearfully hold to materialistic superstitions. 15 years ago
                my father would become annoyed at any disscusion of the soul
                surviving after death. Over the last 7 or 8 years, by
                carefully handing my father various books to read, he no
                longer get angry. In fact, he is very optimistic about his
                chances of not becoming nothing after he dies. You are right
                of course that 'loosening' can go too far in one direction.
                No doubt. But much of the loosening that I see happening is
                not even close to too far. My father, believe me, is still
                using his reason and skepticism in wonderful ways; the
                incarnating Ahriman is not going to waste much time with the
                likes of my dad.

                But nothing is free from be capable of doing a bit too much
                loosening...I know people who are getting really into Steiner
                in the last few months, whom I am very concerned about
                because there is a certain quality to their intensity that
                makes me question the balance. And it's up to them. No words
                spoken by Steiner will really help them find the balance;
                much deeper currents are at work here. That's why it's not
                hard to find unkind anthroposophist- they're human, so it's
                up to them to find the balance. As in Anthro libraries you
                will find unbalanced people in the new age section of book
                stores, but go talk to them. You'll find some remarkably
                interesting people finding their balance while thumbing
                through some of the strangest books.