GOALS OF THE STUDENT OF YOGA

  • fireofthe12
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 5:19 PM
      The below is really the best article by Valentin Tomberg I have found
      on the differences between Indian Yoga and the Christian paths:

      THE GOALS OF THE STUDENT OF YOGA
      Just as it was necessary within the social Order of India to build a
      bridge by means of the caste system between material man and
      spiritual man, and as it was necessary in Indian thought-life to
      bridge through theory the polarity of the above-mentioned principles
      (Purusha and Prakriti), so in Yoga it was a question of actually
      treading the path which leads from the realm of matter to that of
      spirit. And that pathway certainly taken, and many take it even today
      in those parts of the world.

      Regarding Yoga now from this point of view - that it is not just a
      theoretical world of ideas, but a practical ordering of the relation
      between spirit and matter - there arises the question as to the
      manner in which this relationship is governed. We are faced with the
      question : What does the student of Yoga actually want to achieve ?
      What aim does his soul have in view ?

      The goal of the Yoga student is to be freed from the bonds of the
      body, and essentially Yoga technique employs methods for breaking
      these bonds. These consist of a system of exercises along with a
      certain way of life which call forth changes in the human being,
      taking him further in the direction of this goal. The transformations
      striven for by repeated exercises and the definite life style of Yoga
      result in the formation of a kind of stream of forces which come from
      below and move upwards in the human organism ; from the lower body up
      into the head.

      This stream of forces moving from below upward (the so-
      called "Kundalini Fire") reaches the brain and crown of the skull and
      penetrates through them, causing consciousness to be loosened from
      the body and the experience of the desired state of freedom from
      earthly bonds. In this way through Indian Yoga, experiences are
      sought which arise in connection with a freeing from the body. This
      striving is a striving after freedom but in the sense of a freedom
      from the earth.

      The practical aim of Yoga actually stands in polar opposition to the
      ideals of the representatives of Christian European culture. These
      representatives of the profound Christian spiritual life revealing
      itself in the past in the form of Rosicrucianism, strove also toward
      a practical goal, yet their goal is entirely different from that of
      Indian Yoga. For them the important thing is not to be freed from the
      earthly element, but to redeem everything earthly from evil.

      The idea which forms the basis for this striving is not the
      opposition between spirit and matter, but rather the opposition
      between good and evil.

      Christianity, not as a philosophical or theological teaching, but as a
      active spiritual force in the world, proceeds from the idea that evil
      has penetrated into the world and that error, sickness, and death are
      its results. Therefore it cannot be Christianity's task to retreat
      from that realm, but rather to conquer the evil which has given cause
      for error, suffering and death.

      Before Christianity stands the lofty and distant goal of conquering
      death itself, not in the sense of fleeing into that realm where death
      no longer exists, but of conquering it in that place where it unfolds
      its greatest power. The victory over death in the realm of earthly
      life itself that is the goal of true Christianity. However, this goal
      must be reached through victory over evil. It is not a question of
      fighting against matter, for matter and nature are not in themselves
      evil. Rather they can be seen as victims of evil. The task of man,
      therefore, is not to wrestle with nature in order to free himself
      from her, but to struggle to purify her and set her free.

      This goal of true Christianity finds expression in the image of the
      Washing of the Feet from the sublime Gospel of St. John. There Christ
      bends down to the lowly and even to the lowest of the low, the feet
      of which He washes. In this image, the idea is expressed that the
      Christ impulse has the task of enabling the 'low' to be purified: by
      going down oneself into the lowest regions of being in order to
      ennoble them.

      Now there is nothing, either in man or nature, which cannot be
      transformed. Among the ways that this striving came to expression was
      in the misunderstood and misused Alchemy, widespread in Europe in the
      Middle Ages. The alchemists were wholly filled with the wish to
      transform the 'lower into a higher', and were convinced that this was
      just as possible in the case of metals and other substances as with
      the human soul forces.

      Their efforts to transform base metals into precious ones were
      actually expression of a deeply inward permeation with the reality of
      the Christ Impulse. They strove to apply the great principle of
      Washing of the Feet, even in material processes in their
      laboratories ; and they did this- the original, true alchemists -
      because they had the actual experience: it is possible to transform
      the 'lower into the higher'. They expanded their inner experience
      into the outer realm of physical substances and forces.

      The Alchemy of the Middle Ages is merely one especially conspicuous
      example of the working of the Christ impulse in man. There are many
      such examples. In all of them the main thing is that they give
      expression in various ways to the principle of the Washing of the
      Feet. This principle is actually the spiritual-moral foundation for
      any true Christianity. It is especially the basis of Christian
      Rosicrucianism.

      While the objective of Indian Yoga is to create a stream of 'fire
      power' from below upward in the human organism with the purpose to
      experience the liberation of one's own soul, so in Christian
      Occultism the MAIN OBJECTIVE IS TO CREATE A STREAM OF 'LIGHT POWER'
      WHICH WORKS ABOVE DOWNWARDS. Meditation and other spiritual exercises
      of Christian Occultism have the task to allow the light which is
      kindled in the head to stream downward so that the unconscious life
      of human urges and instincts may be illuminated and ennobled. And the
      purification of human nature is the beginning of the purification of
      all Nature: that is, the beginning of the conquest of evil in the
      world.

      Today, when many writings on occult themes bring much knowledge to
      men, it is necessary that every European who has an interest for true
      spiritual life should carefully consider the choice between the
      ideals of Indian Yoga and the ideals of the more deeply penetrating
      Christian spiritual direction - between "self-liberation"
      and "Washing of the Feet".
      end of article
      (My Caps)

      Greetings To All,
      Bruce
    • Br. Ron
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 5:36 PM
        Man this nails it!
        Tomberg once again sez it straight and true.

        Thanks Bruce

        Br. Ron

        ============

        > ...goal is entirely different from that of Indian Yoga.
        > For them the important thing is not to be freed from the
        > earthly element, but to redeem everything earthly from evil.

        > The idea which forms the basis for this striving is not the
        > opposition between spirit and matter, but rather the opposition
        > between good and evil.
        >
        > Christianity, not as a philosophical or theological teaching, but as a
        > active spiritual force in the world, proceeds from the idea that evil
        > has penetrated into the world and that error, sickness, and death are
        > its results. Therefore it cannot be Christianity's task to retreat
        > from that realm, but rather to conquer the evil which has given cause
        > for error, suffering and death.
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1 6:41 PM
          Amen!

          Carol

          ps...could any of you guys send me the link to the 'ghost'
          video that was recently posted? Thanks

          http://health.yahoo.com