Re: [anthroposophy] Calendar of the Soul

  • DRStarman2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7 7:17 AM
      In a message dated 7/6/2002 11:47:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, deborahtyson60690@... writes:

      Hi, Really need, want copy of the current "Calendar of
      the Soul". Where to find for purchase or ordering,
      etc. thank you. Need snail mail, cost, address, no
      credit card no checking. Deborah

      Sorry, don't know what you mean by "current" Calendar of the Soul. The original 1912 'Calendar' was 52 mantrams, 12 zodiac images, and a listing of the days of the week with spiritual figures connected to the days, along with the Moon's position in the signs for each night. To my knowledge there is nowhere this can be bought. As far as the truncated books that pass for the Soul-Calendar today, you can get any number of collections of the 52 verses with various English translations, such as from the Anthroposophic Press; all 52 mantras with several translations are also found on the Anthroposophy Network's site.

      Dr. Starman
    • DRStarman2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6, 2003
           The "Calendar of the Soul"

          Dr. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' , 52 meditative mantras, to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within and in Nature during the year. These are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.
            Here's the whole 'Soul-Calendar' restored to how it was originally meant to be used.

        This week and through April 20th we are  in a most interesting time, when the last verse of the 'Soul-Calendar'  has been reached, but it's still several weeks before we start with the first verse of the new, there being a late Easter this year. This whole time therefore falls into a time of the change from going out into the cosmos and then drawing in from it again, as can be experienced by meditatively working with the ending and beginning verses.

        COMPARISON OF FIRST AND LAST VERSES
        of the Calendar of the Soul

        *******MANTRAM 52*******
        Wenn aus den Seelentiefen
        Der Geist sich wendet zu dem Weltensein
        Und Schonheit quillt aus Raumesweiten,
        Dann zieht aus Himmelsfernen
        Des Lebens Kraft in Menschenleiber
        Und einet, machtvoll wirkend,
        Des Geistes Wesen mit dem Menschensein.

        When out of the Soul's Deeps
        The Spirit wends its way to World-Being
        And Beauty swells into the widths of Space,
        Then is drawn from farthest Heavens
        The Life Force into human bodies
        And there becomes one, mightily working,
        The Spirit's Essence and Man's being.

        *******MANTRAM # 1*******
        Wenn aus den Weltenweiten
        Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn
        Und Freude aus den Seelenteifen,
        Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen,
        Dann ziehen aus der Selbstheit Hulle
        Gedanken in die Raumesfernen
        Und binden dumpf
        Des Menschen Wesen und des Geistes Sein.

        When out of the Wide World
        The Sun speaks to Man's Senses
        And Joy out of Soul's Depths
        Becomes one with Light in vision,
        Then is drawn from the Ego's Sheath
        Thinking into farthest Worlds
        And joins, dimly,
        Man's Essence and the Spirit's Being.

           This time of year we receive the Life Force from the returning Sun at Easter. The spirit within goes out into the universe and connects with that Source, from which the new life force will start flowing at Eastertide. Then we'll begin the Easter mood of 'resurrection' of our life forces, as, in our depths, our Spirit forms its annual connection with the Cosmos once again---after having withdrawn into the Earth in winter---and the etheric body is renewed through this connection to the World Spirit.

                                **********************************
             The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of PISCES from March 9th to April 13th in our era. A symbolic image of the Fishes done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

        Sunday, April 6th. Moon Gemini.  Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon in 2nd century. Raphael born 1483. Dürer died 1528.

        Monday,  April 7th. Moon Gemini. Egesippus (Christian writer of the second century in Rome).

        Tuesday,  April 8th. Moon Cancer. First Quarter.  Wilhelm von Humboldt died 1835.

        Wednesday, April 9th. Moon Cancer.  Mary Cleophas (who with Mary of Magdala and the Mother of Jesus in John's Gospel was present at the Crucifixion). Theophilus (Bishop of Alexandria in the 5th century). Francis Bacon of Verulam died 1626.

        Thursday, April 10th. Moon Leo.  The Prophets Daniel and Ezekiel.

        Friday, April 11th. Moon Leo.  Leo (Pope that turned back the wave of Attila from Italy).

        Saturday, April 12th. Moon Virgo. Zeno.

        *  M A N T R A  # 2 4  *

        Sich selbst erschaffend stets,
        Wird Seelensein sich selbst gewahr;
        Der Weltengeist, er strebet fort
        In Selbsterkenntnis neu belebt
        Und schafft aus Seelenfinsternis
        Des selbstsinns Willensfrucht .

        In continually shaping one's Self,
        Soul's Being becomes of itself aware;
        The World-Spirit, it strives forward
        In Self-Knowledge newly living
        And shapes out of Soul-Darkness
        The Self-sense's Will-Fruit.

        Dr. Starman

        P.S. The Moon will be seen close to the planet Saturn Monday night, April 7th, and near the planet Jupiter on Thursday night, April 10th.

        http://www.DrStarman.net