Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Yoga, physical health and the spiritual path

  • jla
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      I would agree with you in your post below.

      It is my bias that the physical body should not be ignored in "spiritual practice" The is a rhyme and reason why Christian and Zen monks must work hard in the garden and around the "temple" to maintain outer focus and remain strong in body. Too often "spiritual" is seen as light and frail (and for some this is based on temperament and body type) but behind all this, I am convinced, are stages of necessary purification and rebalancing that must be done to bring harmony to the etheric and astral bodies. Being physically healthy supports spiritual work not opposes it.  Often our astral and etheric bodies can be experienced as very much involved in unnecessary work simply related to the modern lifestyle. Not being able to walk comfortably for five miles or ride a bike or touch one's toes with flexibility does not support spiritual growth- it hinders it..

       In addition, as I mentioned often before, the early stages of breath work are simply ways to bring more etheric vitality and greater oxygenation into the blood to allow for deeper and fuller self consciousness. Advanced breath work should be left to individual instruction from an experienced teacher and mentor. The real wild card (and it has also been mentioned before by RS) is diet. Its not just the type of diet -vegetarian, vegan, or fish and dairy only, etc. but the quality of food, the quantity, proper digestion and elimination, and combinations we consume. The etheric and astral body are constantly at work unnecessarily to bring harmony back to the organs of digestion and blood flow (great energy is expended in the digestive and metabolic process) and takes away inner work and energy. This can be seen easily if one goes on a juice fast or mono diet (one food only like bananas) for a few days. The clarity of mind and sense of well being experienced is directly related to the body not being overburdened and made toxic by various foods and the etheric and astral body are freed to function more naturally.
      As someone mentioned earlier, RS said that one of the prime reasons more practitioners were not advancing in clairvoyant unfoldment was diet. This was left ambiguous but enough is known now to gain some insight into this.

      Jeff