Yoga more on....

  • jla
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      Evolgite,

      Just some comments on Yoga:

      Though it may ruffle feathers to discuss "Eastern" approaches to spirituality, AP and Rosicrucainism does embrace them all (with some reservations and modern research and updates). Spiritual wisdom is timeless and esoteric knowledge is every growing and adds to and can correct the old.  Going backwards always creates a loss of ground but there is much wisdom is these older paths that even RS spent many hours elucidating in lectures on the Gita, Buddhism, Egyptian mysteries, etc. Though he warned against yogic breathing and starting spiritual work with the body, this is more advanced practice not what is popularly known as "yoga". Popular Yoga is Hatha or physical system of allowing the etheric and physical bodies regain integration and balance through a system of movements and basic retraining of the normal breath to enhance health, vitality, oxygen flow and create more responsive and sensitive nervous system. The will and astral body are engaged as well as one must remain attentive, in control of the movement, and feel into the process. In some respects, when taught in Western style, yoga actually helps one incarnate more deeply into the body than release one from it. In more advanced forms of yoga the opposite is goal.

      As to yoga in general, I think it is a mistake to attempt to reduce Yoga to breath awareness and control alone. In fact, breath work is just a facet of Yoga and the focus on the breath differs from school to school. Some schools put it aside until one is ready for more advanced work.The pillars of yoga ( as with any true spiritual path) are:  take responsibility for one's soul growth by learning about the body and soul; embrace a regular physical and meditative discipline; purify the body to enable it to be a more capable vehicle for the spirit; live a good and ethical life; and so on.

      This is done by first freeing the body of psychic and physical tensions related to normal living . Purification of the blood and bringing order to digestion and the organs of the body through proper diet and attitude is another goal of hatha yoga. So far, nothing mentioned would violate AP. There may be differences in dietary systems or food choices but the goal would be the same. Hatha yoga does not focus on meditation and spiritual  practices per se but is seen as  preparation of the body and soul before entry into the spiritual transformative process. When the body and etheric vitality is strengthened a more harmonious experience of life is achieved. One sees harmony in the world and can offer it others; when one is disciplined and engages a physical practice daily or several times a week, self control, intention, and will training is achieved. When one can focus on a routine for 25-45 minutes concentration is enhanced. All this is then brought to the next stage of Yoga: raja or jnana yoga (the disciplines of attaining knowledge and wisdom). It is in these higher forms of esoteric Yoga where differences arise between Western schools and Yoga.  Hatha yoga has undergone many reforms and even now is appearing in Western forms appropriate to Westerners.   Granted it starts with the body and does not have the modern esoteric foundations of AP, its inherent benefits are found immediately.

      Jeff

       -----
    • evlogite
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
        Dear Jeff:
        Very well said.
        While I don't want to present myself as an apologist for classical
        yoga, or even the characature that we have of yoga in the West--
        there are some very important changes in our breath and physical
        bodies that occur during spiritual work--- East or West.

        I would like to talk more about them with others here and discover
        how they fit into the stream of mechanical occultism, if they indeed
        do. If we have to use another word (respiration, perhaps)-- then by
        all means, let's.
        evlogite

      • jla
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
          I still contend that breath work and Yoga have little to due with mechanical occultism. It seems that this trend will come from the metabolic and will forces of those in the West in particular. Steady scientific research will contribute much also. The simple application of neural science to computer has begun and is producing provocative results.  We can see this (as Starmann has pointed out) in the rise and use of technology and computers. If one senses the energy and will forces as one types on the keyboard and feels the subtle connections with a computer, that is just a taste.With the development of virtual reality technology and direct thought to brain to machine research, we can see the direction it is taking. There are things going on behind "closed doors" that would boggle our minds: there is great advancement in brain helmets that can be connected to the cockpit instrumentation and allow pilots to control planes by thought. This is in the early stages. Artificial organ and limb replacements are advancing rapidly as are electric organs where the heart and other organs are control and monitored by electrical boxes. Voice command technology is now available in cars. Imagine in 50 years where we will be. Imagine in 500 years.

          And behind the spiritual scenes, we are told, there is more going on than making life easier. There is a plan afoot to enmesh us in the mechanical and technological devices and this has happened to an extent already with young kids. Once I was in a hotel (about two years ago) and  I had some down time. My friend and I went to the race car computer video machine (full size screen) and began to race each other. Within two minutes I was shocked how I was "in the game" and feeling and moving as it were real. Imagine kids doing this day in day out. This is the dark side of mechanical occultism rearing it head. (and not all computer simulations are "bad" but many of them are horribly grotesque and violent). Needing an "electronic fix" - TV, email, cell phones, etc. while in nature is yet another symptom.

          jeff